* Specifying leading?
@ 2012-05-14 20:57 Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-05-14 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

How does one specify leading in ConTeXt?

In traditional typography, it is common to specify the type size and
leading to indicate the inter-line spacing of a block of text. Setting
type "solid" means to use no spacing between lines - not usually a good
idea ;-)

More often, good typography requires a minimum of two points of leading
between adjacent lines and might be specified as 12/14 or 12/15 meaning
to set twelve-point type on a fourteen or fifteen point "leading"
resulting in inter-line spacing of two and three points respectively.

Is there an easy way to specify this in ConTeXt or must I muck about
with baseline skip?

I have tried looking this up on the wiki and in the font documentation
but it either is not there or is worded in such a way I am not
recognizing it.

I'm using MkIV

--
Bill Meahan K8QN

"I want to live other lives. I've never quite believed that
one chance is all I get. Writing is my way of making
other chances."
    --  Anne Tyler

* Re: Specifying leading?
@ 2012-05-14 21:17 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-05-14 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 14.05.2012 um 22:57 schrieb Bill Meahan:

> How does one specify leading in ConTeXt?
>
> In traditional typography, it is common to specify the type size and leading to indicate the inter-line spacing of a block of text. Setting type "solid" means to use no spacing between lines - not usually a good idea ;-)
>
> More often, good typography requires a minimum of two points of leading between adjacent lines and might be specified as 12/14 or 12/15 meaning to set twelve-point type on a fourteen or fifteen point "leading" resulting in inter-line spacing of two and three points respectively.
>
> Is there an easy way to specify this in ConTeXt or must I muck about with baseline skip?
>
> I have tried looking this up on the wiki and in the font documentation but it either is not there or is worded in such a way I am not recognizing it.
>
> I'm using MkIV

%\setupbodyfont[12pt] % not necessary because 12pt is the default font size

\setupinterlinespace[line=14pt] % default: line=2.8ex

\starttext
\input knuth
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Specifying leading?
@ 2012-05-14 21:29   ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-05-14 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thanks, Wolfgang! I knew there had to be an easy way to do it.

ConTeXt is wonderful but there are so many "knobs" and "levers" it is
pretty easy for us folks moving to ConTeXt from LaTeX to get lost. :-)

On 05/14/2012 17:17, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> %\setupbodyfont[12pt] % not necessary because 12pt is the default font size
>
> \setupinterlinespace[line=14pt] % default: line=2.8ex
>
> \starttext
> \input knuth
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: Specifying leading?
@ 2012-05-14 21:42     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-05-14 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 14 May 2012, Bill Meahan wrote:

> Thanks, Wolfgang! I knew there had to be an easy way to do it.
>
> ConTeXt is wonderful but there are so many "knobs" and "levers" it is pretty
> easy for us folks moving to ConTeXt from LaTeX to get lost. :-)

Since you had difficulty in finding this solution, please add some
comments to http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/setupinterlinespace so
that others searching using the same keywords can find it.

Aditya

* Re: Specifying leading?
@ 2012-05-14 22:56       ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-05-14 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Wiki updated. Can find entry using "leading" as well. Of course it is
mixed in the search results for the term "leading" (as in "leading
zeroes"). Ah, the vagaries of the English language.