* "Typescripts for Dummies"
@ 2012-05-15 17:28 Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-05-15 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a document anywhere that would be the equivalent of
"Typescripts for Dummies?" (as if such a book really existed)

I am trying to write some typescripts for the Venturis ADF and Beneris
ADF families (and a few others) using Wolfgang's typescripts for Fontin
et. al. as a guide. I can't seem to figure out what, "\s!" or
"\typescripttwo" of "\typescriptthree" do and the examples I have looked
at on the wiki either don't contain them or don't explain them .

I also don't seem to be able to find a command reference for
\starttypescript which explains what the various option fields mean or
what "predefined" values exist for each.

Sorry for the newbie questions but I don't know where else to ask.

Using MkIV

--
Bill Meahan K8QN

"I want to live other lives. I've never quite believed that
one chance is all I get. Writing is my way of making
other chances."
    --  Anne Tyler

* Re: "Typescripts for Dummies"
@ 2012-05-15 17:51 ` Marco Pessotto
From: Marco Pessotto @ 2012-05-15 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Bill Meahan <wmeahan94@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there a document anywhere that would be the equivalent of
> "Typescripts for Dummies?" (as if such a book really existed)

I guess real documentation is a fantastic booklet:
http://www.h2o-books.com/node/11

Cheers

--
Marco

* Re: "Typescripts for Dummies"
@ 2012-05-15 18:16 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-05-15 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.05.2012 um 19:28 schrieb Bill Meahan:

> Is there a document anywhere that would be the equivalent of "Typescripts for Dummies?" (as if such a book really existed)
>
> I am trying to write some typescripts for the Venturis ADF and Beneris ADF families (and a few others) using Wolfgang's typescripts for Fontin et. al. as a guide. I can't seem to figure out what, "\s!" or "\typescripttwo" of "\typescriptthree" do and the examples I have looked at on the wiki either don't contain them or don't explain them .

The \s!… string are a method to save memory in TeX but you don’t have to use it, just use “serif” instead of “\s!serif”.

With \typescriptone etc. you can access the value in the arguments for \starttypescripts, e.g. in the following example

  \starttypescript [serif] [venturis]

\typescriptone expands to “serif” and \typescripttwo expands to “venturis”.

> I also don't seem to be able to find a command reference for \starttypescript which explains what the various option fields mean or what "predefined" values exist for each.

The first argument of \starttypescript can be

  - serif
  - sans
  - mono
  - handwriting
  - calligraphy

and the first argument of \definefontsynonym can be

  – Serif
  - SerifItalic
  - SerifBold
  - SerifSlanted
  - SerifBoldItalic
  - SerifBoldSlanted
  - SerifCaps
  - Sans
  - SansItalic
  – …
  - Mono
  - MonoItalic
  - …
  - Handwriting
  - Calligraphy

Wolfgang

* Re: "Typescripts for Dummies"
@ 2012-05-15 20:05   ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-05-15 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thank you Wolfgang!!

I've used LaTeX off and on since the 1980's but never did anything with
Plain TeX so that's why I did not recognize the \s!  .