* Confused again :-)
@ 2012-06-07 19:15 Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-06-07 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm getting a handle on page layout and headings but there are some
things I haven't figured out.

   1) How does one specify they want the "outer" margin to be a
different size than the "inner" margin? "Outer," of course, is the right
margin on a right-hand (odd) page and the left margin on a left-hand
(even) page.

   2) How does one put a frame around a margin? Layers? Overlay?
\framedtext?

   3) Am I correct I can use the "COMMAND" parameters in \setuplayout to
specify there is some text to use as a marginal in the (chapter |
section) header (using \margintext, I presume)?

I am working on a couple of novels I want to typeset using ConTeXt since
I think it will allow me to produce what I want for typographic style
much easier than using LaTeX.  I'm pretty adept at using LaTeX but brand
new to ConTeXt. One of _my_ problems is so many examples on the wiki
seem oriented towards people setting math which could not be farther
from my intended usages. (Not that I'm unfamiliar with math, I have a
degree in Physics and would have had a double degree in math except for
a choice to take a different course (helpful in physics) instead of one
mandatory for the math degree).

Thanks!

--
Bill Meahan K8QN

"The pessimist complains about the wind;
  the optimist expects it to change;
  the realist adjusts the sails."

-- William Arthur Ward

This message is digitally signed with an X.509 certificate
to prove it is from me and has not been altered since it was sent.

[-- Attachment #1.2: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature --]

* Re: Confused again :-)
@ 2012-06-07 19:29 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-06-07 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 07.06.2012 um 21:15 schrieb Bill Meahan:

> I'm getting a handle on page layout and headings but there are some things I haven't figured out.
>
>  1) How does one specify they want the "outer" margin to be a different size than the "inner" margin? "Outer," of course, is the right margin on a right-hand (odd) page and the left margin on a left-hand (even) page.

Change the layout with \setuplayout and enable doublesided with \setuppagenumbering.

> 2) How does one put a frame around a margin? Layers? Overlay? \framedtext?

You can use \setupbackgrounds.

> 3) Am I correct I can use the "COMMAND" parameters in \setuplayout to specify there is some text to use as a marginal in the (chapter | section) header (using \margintext, I presume)?

Can you be more concrete.

> I am working on a couple of novels I want to typeset using ConTeXt since I think it will allow me to produce what I want for typographic style much easier than using LaTeX.  I'm pretty adept at using LaTeX but brand new to ConTeXt. One of _my_ problems is so many examples on the wiki seem oriented towards people setting math which could not be farther from my intended usages. (Not that I'm unfamiliar with math, I have a degree in Physics and would have had a double degree in math except for a choice to take a different course (helpful in physics) instead of one mandatory for the math degree).

Many people use ConTeXt for documents without any math and when you read older messages in the list archive you can find messages from user asking whether ConTeXt can be used to typeset math.

\setuplayout
  [backspace=0.1\paperwidth,
       width=0.7\paperwidth,
      footer=0pt,
    topspace=0.1\paperheight,
      height=0.7\paperheight]

\setupbackgrounds[text][rightmargin][frame=on]

\starttext %\showframe
\dorecurse{10}{\input knuth\par}
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Confused again :-)
@ 2012-06-07 19:34 ` Rogers, Michael K
From: Rogers, Michael K @ 2012-06-07 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 7, 2012, at 3:15 PM, Bill Meahan wrote:

> I'm getting a handle on page layout and headings but there are some things I haven't figured out.
>
>  1) How does one specify they want the "outer" margin to be a different size than the "inner" margin? "Outer," of course, is the right margin on a right-hand (odd) page and the left margin on a left-hand (even) page.
>
>  2) How does one put a frame around a margin? Layers? Overlay? \framedtext?
>
>  3) Am I correct I can use the "COMMAND" parameters in \setuplayout to specify there is some text to use as a marginal in the (chapter | section) header (using \margintext, I presume)?
>
> I am working on a couple of novels I want to typeset using ConTeXt since I think it will allow me to produce what I want for typographic style much easier than using LaTeX.  I'm pretty adept at using LaTeX but brand new to ConTeXt. One of _my_ problems is so many examples on the wiki seem oriented towards people setting math which could not be farther from my intended usages. (Not that I'm unfamiliar with math, I have a degree in Physics and would have had a double degree in math except for a choice to take a different course (helpful in physics) instead of one mandatory for the math degree).
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Bill Meahan K8QN

1)  You might want to look through Ch. 3 in the manual.  The dimension called "backspace" is sometimes described as the space between the spine and the text, and sometimes as the space to the left.  But the manual shows various ways to set up ConTeXt for books.  It should help you.  One place to get it is http://www.tug.org/texlive/Contents/live/texmf-dist/doc/context/manuals/reference/en/contextref.pdf

2, 3) I'll let experts tell you.

Strangely, my intended products are math, and I find ConTeXt has too many examples aimed at general printing problems (books, brochures, ...) that I'm not interested in producing.  Maybe LaTeX is the same way.  I learned Plain TeX before there was LaTeX....

Best,

Michael

________________________________

prohibited.

* Re: Confused again :-)
@ 2012-06-07 19:55   ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-06-07 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 06/07/2012 15:29, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Can you be more concrete.

First page of a chapter should have the chapter name in a fancy font at
the top of the main text area. Perhaps with rules above and/or below. In
the framed margin would be the word "Chapter" (in smallcaps at a
_slightly_ larger size than the body text) horizontally centered in the
frame with the chapter number beneath it. The chapter number (using
oldstyle numbers) would be at 2-3x the body font size and horizontally
centered in the frame. The word "Chapter" would ideally be vertically
aligned with the chapter name.

Other pages would have the chapter name in body font size standard roman
in the framed margin of the left-hand page, about 20-25% of the
textheight down from the top and the subject (unnumbered section) name
displayed in an identical manner on right-hand pages.

The page number will be in italic style at the bottom of the framed
margin, horizontally centered in the frame and at a smaller size than
the body font.

The width of the text area will be typefitted to the body font size
using the table in Bringhurst's "The Elements of Typographic Style."
Indeed, this page design takes its inspiration from that book.

Hope that's not _too_ concrete. :-)

@ 2012-06-07 20:01   ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-06-07 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06/07/2012 15:34, Rogers, Michael K wrote:

> 1)  You might want to look through Ch. 3 in the manual.  The dimension called "backspace" is sometimes described as the space between the spine and the text, and sometimes as the space to the left.  But the manual shows various ways to set up ConTeXt for books.  It should help you.  One place to get it is http://www.tug.org/texlive/Contents/live/texmf-dist/doc/context/manuals/reference/en/contextref.pdf

Yahoo! I've only seen the individual chapters for fonts, typography and
page design on the wiki. I never realize one could get the whole manual
from TUG. Sometimes I overlook the obvious. Silly me.

@ 2012-06-07 20:32     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-06-07 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 07.06.2012 um 21:55 schrieb Bill Meahan:

> On 06/07/2012 15:29, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Can you be more concrete.
>
> First page of a chapter should have the chapter name in a fancy font at the top of the main text area. Perhaps with rules above and/or below. In the framed margin would be the word "Chapter" (in smallcaps at a _slightly_ larger size than the body text) horizontally centered in the frame with the chapter number beneath it. The chapter number (using oldstyle numbers) would be at 2-3x the body font size and horizontally centered in the frame. The word "Chapter" would ideally be vertically aligned with the chapter name.
>
> Other pages would have the chapter name in body font size standard roman in the framed margin of the left-hand page, about 20-25% of the textheight down from the top and the subject (unnumbered section) name displayed in an identical manner on right-hand pages.
>
> The page number will be in italic style at the bottom of the framed margin, horizontally centered in the frame and at a smaller size than the body font.
>
> The width of the text area will be typefitted to the body font size using the table in Bringhurst's "The Elements of Typographic Style." Indeed, this page design takes its inspiration from that book.
>
> Hope that's not _too_ concrete. :-)

Just a short example:

\setuplayout
  [  backspace=0.10\paperwidth,
         width=0.60\paperwidth,
   rightmargin=0.25\paperwidth,
        footer=0pt,
      topspace=0.10\paperheight,
        height=0.70\paperheight]

\setuplabeltext[en][chapter=Chapter ]

\define[2]\ChapterCommand
  {\inright[][align=middle]{#1}%
   \midaligned{#2}}

\setuphead
  [chapter]
  [command=\ChapterCommand,
   header=empty,
   textstyle=\cgd,
   numberstyle=\scb]

\definefontfeature[smallcaps][smallcaps][onum=yes]

\definetypeface[mainface][rm][serif]      [pagella] [default]
\definetypeface[mainface][ss][sans]       [modern]  [default]
\definetypeface[mainface][cg][calligraphy][chorus]  [default]
\definetypeface[mainface][mm][math]       [palatino][default]

\setupbodyfont[mainface]

\starttext %\showframe

\startchapter[title=Knuth]
\dorecurse{10}{\input knuth\par}
\stopchapter

\startchapter[title=Zapf]
\dorecurse{10}{\input zapf\par}
\stopchapter

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Confused again :-)
@ 2012-06-07 20:47       ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-06-07 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 06/07/2012 16:32, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> ----------------------------snip------------------------------------------------------------
>
> The width of the text area will be typefitted to the body font size using the table in Bringhurst's "The Elements of Typographic Style." Indeed, this page design takes its inspiration from that book.
>
> Hope that's not _too_ concrete. :-)
>
> Just a short example:
>
> \setuplayout
>    [  backspace=0.10\paperwidth,
>           width=0.60\paperwidth,
>     rightmargin=0.25\paperwidth,
>          footer=0pt,
>        topspace=0.10\paperheight,
>          height=0.70\paperheight]
>
> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
>
> \setuplabeltext[en][chapter=Chapter ]
>
> \define[2]\ChapterCommand
>    {\inright[][align=middle]{#1}%
>     \midaligned{#2}}
>
> \setuphead
>    [chapter]
>    [command=\ChapterCommand,
>     header=empty,
>     textstyle=\cgd,
>     numberstyle=\scb]
>
> \definefontfeature[smallcaps][smallcaps][onum=yes]
>
> \definetypeface[mainface][rm][serif]      [pagella] [default]
> \definetypeface[mainface][ss][sans]       [modern]  [default]
> \definetypeface[mainface][cg][calligraphy][chorus]  [default]
> \definetypeface[mainface][mm][math]       [palatino][default]
>
> \setupbodyfont[mainface]
>
> \starttext %\showframe
>
> \startchapter[title=Knuth]
> \dorecurse{10}{\input knuth\par}
> \stopchapter
>
> \startchapter[title=Zapf]
> \dorecurse{10}{\input zapf\par}
> \stopchapter
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

Thanks, Wolfgang! I'll give it a shot and study your example so I can
learn from it!

Gosh this list is nice! Reminds me of the "good old days" when we used
UUCP, bang-paths and C-News to communicate (or the early ARPANET days):
polite, expert, very willing to share knowledge &c. An endangered
species on today's crass, commercial Internet.

@ 2012-06-07 21:26         ` Pontus Lurcock
From: Pontus Lurcock @ 2012-06-07 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Thu 07 Jun 2012, Bill Meahan wrote:

> Gosh this list is nice! Reminds me of the "good old days" when we
> used UUCP, bang-paths and C-News to communicate (or the early
> ARPANET days): polite, expert, very willing to share knowledge &c.

Wolfgang is ConTeXt's natural language interface.

In fact, with careful use of the filter module and a couple of mail
programs, it should be possible to create something like:

--8<--

\usemodule[filter]

\defineexternalfilter
        [wolfgang]
        [filtercommand={ ... code to send email and fetch reply ... },
         cache=yes]

\startwolfgang
Hello list,

I wonder if anyone could tell me how to implement the following in
ConTeXt.

... description goes here ...
\stopwolfgang

--8<--

It's important to include the cache=yes, so Wolfgang only has to reply
once.

Pont