* Page Backgrounds
@ 2012-07-09  2:47 Kip Warner
From: Kip Warner @ 2012-07-09  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey list,

On the cover page of my book I'd like just an image displayed and
another image used as the background for every other page in the book.
So I put this in my environment,

    % Cover image...
    \definelayer
        [CoverImage]
        [x=0mm, y=0mm,
         \paperwidth,
         \paperheight]
    \setupbackgrounds[page][background=CoverImage]

    \setlayer
        [CoverImage]	% name of the layer
        {\externalfigure
            [Makeup/Images/Cover.jpg]
            [align=center,
             \paperwidth,
             \paperheight]}  % the actual contents of the layer

    % Regular background image...
    \definelayer
        [BackgroundImage]
        [x=0mm, y=0mm,
         \paperwidth,
         \paperheight,
         repeat=yes]

    \setlayer
        [BackgroundImage]	% name of the layer
        {\externalfigure
            [Makeup/Images/Background.png]
            [align=center,
             \paperwidth,
             \paperheight]}  % the actual contents of the layer

, the following in the book's first page,

    \setupbackgrounds[page][background=CoverImage]

, and the following on second page,

    \setupbackgrounds[page][background=BackgroundImage]

. But this does not work properly. What ends up happening is the cover
image is displayed correctly, but every page after that just has a blank
white background.

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred

* Re: Page Backgrounds
@ 2012-07-09  7:45 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-07-09  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9-7-2012 04:47, Kip Warner wrote:
> Hey list,
>
> On the cover page of my book I'd like just an image displayed and
> another image used as the background for every other page in the book.
> So I put this in my environment,
>
>      % Cover image...
>      \definelayer
>          [CoverImage]
>          [x=0mm, y=0mm,
>           \paperwidth,
>           \paperheight]
>      \setupbackgrounds[page][background=CoverImage]
>
>      \setlayer
>          [CoverImage]	% name of the layer
>          {\externalfigure
>              [Makeup/Images/Cover.jpg]
>              [align=center,
>               \paperwidth,
>               \paperheight]}  % the actual contents of the layer
>
>      % Regular background image...
>      \definelayer
>          [BackgroundImage]
>          [x=0mm, y=0mm,
>           \paperwidth,
>           \paperheight,
>           repeat=yes]
>
>      \setlayer
>          [BackgroundImage]	% name of the layer
>          {\externalfigure
>              [Makeup/Images/Background.png]
>              [align=center,
>               \paperwidth,
>               \paperheight]}  % the actual contents of the layer

less code:

\defineoverlay
   [BackgroundImage]
   [\overlayfigure{Makeup/Images/Background.png}]

> , the following in the book's first page,
>
>      \setupbackgrounds[page][background=CoverImage]
>
> , and the following on second page,
>
>      \setupbackgrounds[page][background=BackgroundImage]
>
> .. But this does not work properly. What ends up happening is the cover
> image is displayed correctly, but every page after that just has a blank
> white background.

state=repeat

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Page Backgrounds
@ 2012-07-09  8:06 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-07-09  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 09.07.2012 um 04:47 schrieb Kip Warner:

> Hey list,
>
> On the cover page of my book I'd like just an image displayed and
> another image used as the background for every other page in the book.
> So I put this in my environment,
>
>    % Cover image...
>    \definelayer
>        [CoverImage]
>        [x=0mm, y=0mm,
>         \paperwidth,
>         \paperheight]
>    \setupbackgrounds[page][background=CoverImage]
>
>    \setlayer
>        [CoverImage]	% name of the layer
>        {\externalfigure
>            [Makeup/Images/Cover.jpg]
>            [align=center,
>             \paperwidth,
>             \paperheight]}  % the actual contents of the layer
>
>    % Regular background image...
>    \definelayer
>        [BackgroundImage]
>        [x=0mm, y=0mm,
>         \paperwidth,
>         \paperheight,
>         repeat=yes]
>
>    \setlayer
>        [BackgroundImage]	% name of the layer
>        {\externalfigure
>            [Makeup/Images/Background.png]
>            [align=center,
>             \paperwidth,
>             \paperheight]}  % the actual contents of the layer
>
> , the following in the book's first page,
>
>    \setupbackgrounds[page][background=CoverImage]
>
> , and the following on second page,
>
>    \setupbackgrounds[page][background=BackgroundImage]
>
> . But this does not work properly. What ends up happening is the cover
> image is displayed correctly, but every page after that just has a blank
> white background.

\setupexternalfigures[directory=Makeup/Images]

\defineoverlay
  [backgroundimage]
  [{\ifnum\rawcountervalue[userpage]=1\relax
      \overlayfigure{Cover}%
    \else
      \overlayfigure{Background}%
    \fi}]

\setupbackgrounds[page][background=backgroundimage]

\starttext
\dorecurse{4}{\input knuth\page}
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Page Backgrounds
@ 2012-07-10  0:28   ` Kip Warner
From: Kip Warner @ 2012-07-10  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 2012-07-09 at 10:06 +0200, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> \setupexternalfigures[directory=Makeup/Images]
>
> \defineoverlay
>   [backgroundimage]
>   [{\ifnum\rawcountervalue[userpage]=1\relax
>       \overlayfigure{Cover}%
>     \else
>       \overlayfigure{Background}%
>     \fi}]
>
> \setupbackgrounds[page][background=backgroundimage]
>
> \starttext
> \dorecurse{4}{\input knuth\page}
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

Thanks Wolfgang. That did it. Although I did change userpage to
realpage.

--

@ 2007-11-14 15:46   ` olivier Turlier
From: olivier Turlier @ 2007-11-14 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Peter Rolf wrote:

> Hi Olivier,
>
> olivier Turlier schrieb:
>> Hi everybody,
>> I try to draw several metapost page backgrounds (code found at
>> http://melusine.eu.org/syracuse/poulecl/divers/papiers/ ) for manual
>> sketchs on A4 paper.
>> Obviously, it does'nt work, and I don't know why.
>> TIA for any answers.
>> Not so short examples are attached.
>
> not so short working example attached. I had some problems with MP
> (compilations stops in MP; CTRL-D or typing 'end' works)...I donno. Some
> eof mess.
>
> Best wishes, Peter

Hi Peter,
Thanks for your answer.
I'm still unable to produce the desired pdf, both on texlive 2005 (ubuntu
festy) and 2007 (gutsy). I've located an error in a metapost "inclusion"
file, because context is complaining in the log file :
        TeXExec | processing graphic 'papier-quadrille-mpgraph.mp'
        This is MetaPost, Version 0.993 (Web2C 7.5.6)
        (/usr/share/texmf/web2c/natural.tcx)
        (papier-quadrille-mpgraph.mp (constantes.mp) (papiers.mp
        >> papiers.mp
        >> papiers.mpx
        ! Unable to make mpx file.
        l.70   dotlabel.llft(btex
                          $O$ etex,(x.origine*cm,y.origine*cm));
I'll test solutions later, as I just enter in a super-charged era @ work.
Thanks again
--
olivier Turlier
CRP La Rouguière

* Re: page backgrounds
@ 2007-11-13 18:12 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2007-11-13 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Olivier,

olivier Turlier schrieb:
> Hi everybody,
> I try to draw several metapost page backgrounds (code found at
> http://melusine.eu.org/syracuse/poulecl/divers/papiers/ ) for manual
> sketchs on A4 paper.
> Obviously, it does'nt work, and I don't know why.
> TIA for any answers.
> Not so short examples are attached.

not so short working example attached. I had some problems with MP
(compilations stops in MP; CTRL-D or typing 'end' works)...I donno. Some
eof mess.

Best wishes, Peter

[-- Attachment #2: papier-quadrille.tex --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 5902 bytes --]

\mainlanguage[fr]

%D Format de papier A4.
\setuppapersize[A4][A4]

\setuplayout
[width=middle,
topspace=1.5cm,
height=middle,
header=1cm,
footer=1cm]

\setupcolors[state=start]

\MPinclusions{\input constantes.mp
\input papiers.mp}

\starttext

%----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\startuseMPgraphic{Papier5trait}
%input constantes;
%input papiers;
color macouleur;
macouleur = .7(green+blue);
% beginfig(1);
papiercinq((-5,-5),(5,5),macouleur);
% endfig;
% end
\stopuseMPgraphic
\defineoverlay[Papier5trait][\useMPgraphic{Papier5trait}]
% \defineframedtext[Papier5trait][background=Papier5trait,width=fit,offset=2ex,frame=on,framecolor=red,rulethickness=3pt,corner=round,style=type]
% \defineframedtext[Papier5trait][align=middle,width=\overlaywidth,height=\overlayheight,frame=off,background=Papier5trait]
% \definetextbackground[Papier5trait][location=paragraph,backgroundcolor=white,before=\blank,after=\blank]

\startsetups[Papier5trait]
%\startstandardmakeup
\setupbackgrounds
   [page]
   [background=Papier5trait]
%\stopstandardmakeup
\setuplayout%[reset] % without parameter--> recalculate layout
\stopsetups

%----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\startuseMPgraphic{Papier5point}
%input constantes;
%input papiers;
color macouleur;
macouleur = .7(red+blue);
% beginfig(1);
papierpointe((-5,-5),(5,5),macouleur);
% endfig;
% end
\stopuseMPgraphic
\defineoverlay[Papier5point][\useMPgraphic{Papier5point}]
% \defineframedtext[Papier5point][background=Papier5point,width=fit,offset=2ex,frame=off]
\startsetups[Papier5point]
%\startstandardmakeup
\setupbackgrounds
   [page]
   [background=Papier5point]
%\stopstandardmakeup
\setuplayout%[reset]
\stopsetups

%----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\startuseMPgraphic{Papiermillimetre}
%input constantes;
%input papiers;
color macouleur;
macouleur = .8*orange;
% beginfig(1);
papiermil((-4cm,-4cm),1,1,(-5,-5),(5,5),macouleur);
% endfig;
% end
\stopuseMPgraphic
\defineoverlay[Papiermillimetre][\useMPgraphic{Papiermillimetre}]
% \defineframedtext[Papiermillimetre][background=Papiermillimetre,width=fit,offset=2ex,frame=off]
\startsetups[Papiermillimetre]
%\startstandardmakeup
\setupbackgrounds
   [page]
   [background=Papiermillimetre]
%\stopstandardmakeup
\setuplayout%[reset]
\stopsetups

%----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\startuseMPgraphic{Papier10trait}
%input constantes;
%input papiers;
color macouleur;
macouleur = .7(red+green);
% beginfig(1);
papierun((-5,-5),(5,5),macouleur);
% endfig;
% end
\stopuseMPgraphic
\defineoverlay[Papier10trait][\useMPgraphic{Papier10trait}]
% \defineframedtext[Papier10trait][background=Papier10trait,width=fit,offset=2ex,frame=off]
\startsetups[Papier10trait]
%\startstandardmakeup
\setupbackgrounds
   [page]
   [background=Papier10trait]
%\stopstandardmakeup
\setuplayout%[reset]
\stopsetups

%----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\startuseMPgraphic{Papiercahierseyes}
%input constantes;
%input papiers;
color macouleur;
macouleur = .7[red,blue];
% beginfig(1);
papiercahier((-5,-5),(5,5),macouleur);
% endfig;
% end
\stopuseMPgraphic
\defineoverlay[Papiercahierseyes][\useMPgraphic{Papiercahierseyes}]
% \defineframedtext[Papiercahierseyes][background=Papiercahierseyes,width=fit,offset=2ex,frame=off]
\startsetups[Papiercahierseyes]
%\startstandardmakeup
\setupbackgrounds
   [page]
   [background=Papiercahierseyes]
%\stopstandardmakeup
\setuplayout%[reset]
\stopsetups

%----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\startuseMPgraphic{Papierisotrait}
%input constantes;
%input papiers;
color macouleur;
macouleur = .7[green,red];
% beginfig(1);
papierisom((-5,-5),(5,5),macouleur);
% endfig;
% end
\stopuseMPgraphic
\defineoverlay[Papierisotrait][\useMPgraphic{Papierisotrait}]
% \defineframedtext[Papierisotrait][background=Papierisotrait,width=fit,offset=2ex,frame=off]
\startsetups[Papierisotrait]
%\startstandardmakeup
\setupbackgrounds
   [page]
   [background=Papierisotrait]
%\stopstandardmakeup
\setuplayout%[reset]
\stopsetups

%-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
% \setupbackgrounds[page][background=Papier5trait]

\setups[Papier5trait]

\startstandardmakeup
% \framed[background=Papier5trait]{1 }
% \startPapier5trait
1 \vfill{}
% \stopPapier5trait
%\setupbackgrounds[page][background=]

\page
\stopstandardmakeup

%-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
% \setupbackgrounds[page][background=Papier5point]
\setups[Papier5point]

\startstandardmakeup

2 \vfill{}

%\setupbackgrounds[page][background=]

\page
\stopstandardmakeup

%-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
% \setupbackgrounds[page][background=Papiermillimetre]
\setups[Papiermillimetre]

\startstandardmakeup
% \startPapiermillimetre
3 \vfill{}
% \stopPapiermillimetre

%\setupbackgrounds[page][background=]

\page
\stopstandardmakeup

%-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
% \setupbackgrounds[page][background=Papier10trait]
\setups[Papier10trait]

\startstandardmakeup
4 \vfill{}

%\setupbackgrounds[page][background=]

\page
\stopstandardmakeup

%-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
% \setupbackgrounds[page][background=Papiercahierseyes]
\setups[Papiercahierseyes]

\startstandardmakeup
5 \vfill{}

%\setupbackgrounds[page][background=]

\page
\stopstandardmakeup

%-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
% \setupbackgrounds[page][background=Papierisotrait]
\setups[Papierisotrait]

\startstandardmakeup
6 \vfill{}

@ 2007-11-13 15:52 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-11-13 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/11/13, olivier Turlier <o.turlier@gmail.com>:
> Hi everybody,
> I try to draw several metapost page backgrounds (code found at
> http://melusine.eu.org/syracuse/poulecl/divers/papiers/ ) for manual
> sketchs on A4 paper.
> Obviously, it does'nt work, and I don't know why.
> TIA for any answers.
> Not so short examples are attached.

Take a look into Hans MetaFun manual [1]. He defined a few MetaPost
macros to draw grids (page 205+).

[1] http://pragma-ade.nl/general/manuals/metafun-p.pdf

Wolfgang

* page backgrounds
@ 2007-11-13 10:26 olivier Turlier
From: olivier Turlier @ 2007-11-13 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi everybody,
I try to draw several metapost page backgrounds (code found at
http://melusine.eu.org/syracuse/poulecl/divers/papiers/ ) for manual
sketchs on A4 paper.
Obviously, it does'nt work, and I don't know why.
TIA for any answers.
Not so short examples are attached.

--
olivier Turlier
CRP La Rouguière
101 Bd des libérateurs
13367 MARSEILLE CEDEX 11
04 91 66 58 10

[-- Attachment #2: pb-mp-bkgrd.zip --]
[-- Type: application/x-zip, Size: 2877 bytes --]

* Re: page backgrounds
@ 2003-11-17 15:11 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2003-11-17 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick, Otared, Adam,

thanks for looking into this. Adam's solutions works, wonderful!! Now
I'll be able to have lots of "annoying texts" as watermarks. But those
were a lot of changes to config files. Though I feel confident on the
command line, I must admit I never bothered to look into minstall.pdf;
I figured I had a working installation. Adam, you're definitely right:
it would be nice if we could have gwtex's standards set to something
more useful!

Thanks everybody, another satisfied customer!

Thomas

* Re: page backgrounds
@ 2003-11-17 14:43   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-11-17 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi again,

> The first example you sent, that is:

[...]

> does not produce what is expected.

It should print "COPYRIGHT" in the right margin. It works fine here.

Patrick
--
You are your own rainbow!

* Re: page backgrounds
@ 2003-11-17 14:41   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-11-17 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Otared Kavian <otared@wanadoo.fr> writes:

[...]

(I changed the lines....)

> The third example
> does not produce what is expected.

what did you expect?

> \startuseMPgraphic{brouillon}
> draw btex brouillon etex ;
> currentpicture := currentpicture ysized (\overlayheight-3cm) ;

this command scales (vertically) the brouillon to \overlayheight -3
cm. This is very large

> \stopuseMPgraphic
> \defineoverlay[brouillon][\uniqueMPgraphic{brouillon}]
> \setupbackgrounds[page][background=brouillon]

and this one centers your graphic (the large brouillon) on the page.

> I should say that I am not enough self-confidence to change the file
> cont-sys.tex as suggested by Patrick...

If you get some results from btex...etex, you don't have to.

Patrick
--
You are your own rainbow!

* Re: page backgrounds
@ 2003-11-17 14:08 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-11-17 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

> Thanks, Patrick. \protectbufferstrue is uncommented (I guess that's
> the default, isn't it?).

Right, I just checked. It was a common error in the past.

> Does the btex...etex work on your box?  Could anyone running Mac OS X
> (10.2 for the time being) verify if it works on their systems?

Yes, it does work here on OS X (Jaguar). I tried your example from
yesterday (slightly patched, though because there was no \starttext...)

Please post your complete logfile.

Patrick

* Re: page backgrounds
@ 2003-11-17  9:59     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-11-17  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Thomas A.Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> writes:

> Let me provide an answer myself: the btex ... etex doesn't seem to
> work. This code:

make sure \protectbufferstrue is set in cont-sys.tex

Patrick

--
You are your own rainbow!

* Re: page backgrounds
@ 2003-11-16 22:32   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-11-16 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Thomas,

> These are my first forays into the unknown territories of Metapost.

You'll enjoy your journey once you get MP working.

> The following code is copied verbatim from the matafun-manual:

[...]

> But I don't see anything. The log shows that metapost calculated a
> background, but I don't see anything. What am I doing wrong?

Your complete log might be interesting. Did you enable the write18
feature in texmf.cnf (not necessary, but nice since it lets tex
generate the MP graphics on the fly)? Did you put any text between
\starttext and \stoptext? Do you have \protectbufferstrue in
cont-sys.tex?

Patrick

* Re: page backgrounds
@ 2003-11-16 20:08   ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2003-11-16 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Let me provide an answer myself: the btex ... etex doesn't seem to
work. This code:

\startuseMPgraphic{draft}
draw "DRAFT" infont "phvb" scaled 9 rotated 57 withcolor .85white ;
currentpicture := currentpicture ysized (\overlayheight-3cm) ;
\stopuseMPgraphic
\defineoverlay[draft][\uniqueMPgraphic{draft}]
\setupbackgrounds[page][background=draft]

will do what I want: provide a "watermark" for my document (or, as Hans
writes, an "annoying text"). However, when I try the same with

draw btex draft etex

I don't get any output. Could you please verify if this is the case in
your version of ConTeXt as well? Here's what I have (it's a vanilla
teTeX implementation):

ConTeXt  ver: 2003.9.19  fmt: 2003.9.30  int: english  mes: english

MetaPost (Web2C 7.5.2) 0.641

Best

Thomas

* page backgrounds
@ 2003-11-15 21:36 ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2003-11-15 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

These are my first forays into the unknown territories of Metapost. The
following code is copied verbatim from the matafun-manual:

\startuniqueMPgraphic{copyright}
picture p ; p := btex COPYRIGHT etex rotated 90 ;
setbounds p to boundingbox p enlarged 1pt ;
draw p withcolor .8white ;
currentpicture := currentpicture
xysized (\overlaywidth,\overlayheight) ;
\stopuniqueMPgraphic
\defineoverlay[copyright][\uniqueMPgraphic{copyright}]

\setupbackgrounds[text][rightmargin][background=copyright]