* SILE typesetter and other projects
@ 2021-01-02 10:17 denis.maier
From: denis.maier @ 2021-01-02 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi
I just came across the SILE typesetter (https://sile-typesetter.org), which looks quite interesting and somehow similar to ConTeXt in some ways (e.g. lua), apart from the fact that it does not use TeX at all. ;-) Another project seems to be Patoline. Just out of curiosity: Has anyone some experience with these tools?
Best
Denis

* Re: SILE typesetter and other projects
@ 2021-01-03 12:53 ` Rudolf Bahr
From: Rudolf Bahr @ 2021-01-03 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Sat, Jan 02, 2021 at 10:17:18AM +0000 schrieb denis.maier@ub.unibe.ch:
> Hi
> I just came across the SILE typesetter (https://sile-typesetter.org), which looks quite interesting and somehow similar to ConTeXt in some ways (e.g. lua), apart from the fact that it does not use TeX at all. ;-) Another project seems to be Patoline. Just out of curiosity: Has anyone some experience with these tools?
> Best
> Denis

Hello Denis,

thank you for this interesting link "SILE"!

Rudolf

* Re: SILE typesetter and other projects
@ 2021-01-03 13:45   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2021-01-03 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Also thank you!

Patoline is partly LaTeX based, Speedata Publisher uses LuaTeX, and I know of troff and XSL/FO.

I’d be interested to hear about experiences with other code based typesetting engines (besides ConTeXt and LaTeX), since I used LinoSetting and 3B2 in earlier days.

A healthy and happy new year!
Hraban

* Re: SILE typesetter and other projects
@ 2021-01-03 21:36     ` denis.maier
From: denis.maier @ 2021-01-03 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

The interesting thing here is that Patoline and SILE use some TeX-like syntax, but the underlying engine is not based on TeX at all. With Speeddata Publisher it's the opposite...

@ 2021-01-03 21:42     ` denis.maier
From: denis.maier @ 2021-01-03 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: denis.maier @ 2021-01-03 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-01-03 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/3/2021 6:26 PM, Jairo A. del Rio wrote:
> Probably the false equivalence TeX = LaTeX which is common to see in
> many forums and sites on the web: TeX is said not to be able to do X
> just because LaTeX can't. It's upsetting. groff looks interesting, tho.
FWIW: I never looked into all these system (althouygh i remember reading
about some postscript related thing decades ago). Just keep in mind that
'the problem doesn't change' no matter what tools are there .. it's no
big deal to deal with the 80% but the left over bits often are the
complication. All this typeseting is very much about perception and
often playing around and then the question is: what system suits that best.

So there's the issue of interfacing ... I always found the curious tex
mix interesting (read: if I had to do typesetting and defining styles in
lua or c of java or html.css ... any such programming language ... i'd
looked for another hobby long ago). Of course is some project comes
around that need those approaches and that can pay the bills, I'd pay
attention to it but till then ... so my main objective is to modernize
this 'good old workhorse tex' because it kind of had/has set the
standard. And it's kind of fun.

(It's also why discussions about context versus latex or plain are
wasted on me: I simply never run into the other systems and/or demands
related to them, so instead of keeping track I spent non-tex time on
reading and listening music instead -)

Hans

* Re: SILE typesetter and other projects
@ 2021-01-03 17:26 ` Jairo A. del Rio
From: Jairo A. del Rio @ 2021-01-03 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Probably the false equivalence TeX = LaTeX which is common to see in many
forums and sites on the web: TeX is said not to be able to do X just
because LaTeX can't. It's upsetting. groff looks interesting, tho.

Jairo

@ 2021-01-03 17:19 Andres Conrado Montoya
From: Andres Conrado Montoya @ 2021-01-03 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)