* Disappearing font feature
@ 2019-12-22  4:36 Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2019-12-22  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

List,

I have a strange case of a font feature disappearing when many fonts are
used.

In creating a sampler for the Jost* font (free at
https://indestructibletype.com/Jost.html) and using its feature ss01 to
get single-storey lower-case a, the font reverts to the default
two-storey a when many weights are shown. When I create the fonts with
\definefontfamily, the upright weights are fine and the italic weights
revert. When I create the fonts with \definefont, the reverse is the case.

Below is the demonstration for the \definefont variation and a snip of
the failing result.

    \definebodyfontenvironment[13pt]
                          [interlinespace=15pt]

    \setuplayout         [backspace=0pt,
                           topspace=30pt,
                           width=middle,
                           height=middle,
                           location=middle,
                           header=0pt,
                           footer=0pt]

    \setuppagenumbering  [location=]

    \definefontfeature   [default]
                          [default]
                          [ss01=yes]

    \definefont          [JHair] [jost-100-hairline]
    \definefont          [JThin] [jost-200-thin]
    \definefont          [JLigh] [jost-300-light]
    \definefont          [JBook] [jost-400-book]
    \definefont          [JMedi] [jost-500-medium]
    \definefont          [JSemi] [jost-600-semi]
    \definefont          [JBold] [jost-700-bold]
    \definefont          [JHeav] [jost-800-heavy]
    \definefont          [JBlac] [jost-900-black]

    \definefont          [JHairI][jost-100-hairlineitalic]
    \definefont          [JThinI][jost-200-thinitalic]
    \definefont          [JLighI][jost-300-lightitalic]
    \definefont          [JBookI][jost-400-bookitalic]
    \definefont          [JMediI][jost-500-mediumitalic]
    \definefont          [JSemiI][jost-600-semiitalic]
    \definefont          [JBoldI][jost-700-bolditalic]
    \definefont          [JHeavI][jost-800-heavyitalic]
    \definefont          [JBlacI][jost-900-blackitalic]

    \startbuffer         [Sampler]
      A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
      a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z à ë í ô ç
      1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 ` \texttilde\ - = !  @ \# \$ \letterpercent\ ^ \&
      * ( ) _ + [ ] \textbackslash\ ; ' , . / \{ \} \| : " < > ?
      \fontname\font
    \blank               [line]
    \stopbuffer

    \setupalign          [middle]

    \starttext
    \obeylines

    \JHair     \getbuffer[Sampler]
    \JThin     \getbuffer[Sampler]
    \JLigh     \getbuffer[Sampler]
    \JBook     \getbuffer[Sampler]
    \JMedi     \getbuffer[Sampler]
    \JSemi     \getbuffer[Sampler]
    \JBold     \getbuffer[Sampler]
    \JHeav     \getbuffer[Sampler]
    \JBlac     \getbuffer[Sampler]
    \page
    \JHairI    \getbuffer[Sampler]
    \JThinI    \getbuffer[Sampler]
    \JLighI    \getbuffer[Sampler]
    \JBookI    \getbuffer[Sampler]
    \JMediI    \getbuffer[Sampler]
    \JSemiI    \getbuffer[Sampler]
    \JBoldI    \getbuffer[Sampler]
    \JHeavI    \getbuffer[Sampler]
    \JBlacI    \getbuffer[Sampler]

    \stoptext

Below is the demonstration for the \definefontfamily variation and a
snip of the expected result, although the italics fail.

    \definebodyfontenvironment[13pt]
                          [interlinespace=15pt]

    \setuplayout         [backspace=0pt,
                           topspace=15pt,
                           width=middle,
                           height=middle,
                           location=middle,
                           header=0pt,
                           footer=0pt]

    \setuppagenumbering  [location=]

    \definefontfeature   [default]
                          [default]
                          [ss01=yes]
    \definefontfamily    [up-one]
                          [sansserif]
                          [Jost]
                          [tf={style:hairline,features},
                           bf={style:thin,features},
                           bi={style:light,features},
                           it={style:book,features}]
    \definefontfamily    [up-two]
                          [sansserif]
                          [Jost]
                          [tf={style:medium,features},
                           bf={style:semi,features},
                           bi={style:bold,features},
                           it={style:heavy,features}]
    \definefontfamily    [up-three]
                          [sansserif]
                          [Jost]
                          [tf={style:black,features},
                           bf={style:black,features},
                           bi={style:black,features},
                           it={style:black,features}]
    \definefontfamily    [it-one]
                          [sansserif]
                          [Jost]
                          [tf={style:hairlineitalic,features},
                           bf={style:thinitalic,features},
                           bi={style:lightitalic,features},
                           it={style:bookitalic,features}]
    \definefontfamily    [it-two]
                          [sansserif]
                          [Jost]
                          [tf={style:mediumitalic,features},
                           bf={style:semiitalic,features},
                           bi={style:bolditalic,features},
                           it={style:heavyitalic,features}]
    \definefontfamily    [it-three]
                          [sansserif]
                          [Jost]
                          [tf={style:blackitalic,features},
                           bf={style:blackitalic,features},
                           bi={style:blackitalic,features},
                           it={style:blackitalic,features}]

    \startbuffer         [Sampler]
      A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
      a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z à ë í ô ç
      1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 ` \texttilde\ - = !  @ \# \$ \letterpercent\ ^ \&
      * ( ) _ + [ ] \textbackslash\ ; ' , . / \{ \} \| : " < > ?
      \fontname\font
    \blank               [line]
    \stopbuffer

    \setupalign          [middle]

    \setupbodyfont       [up-one,13pt]

    \starttext
    \obeylines

    \ss\tf\getbuffer     [Sampler]
    \ss\bf\getbuffer     [Sampler]
    \ss\bi\getbuffer     [Sampler]
    \ss\it\getbuffer     [Sampler]
    \switchtobodyfont    [up-two]
    \ss\tf\getbuffer     [Sampler]
    \ss\bf\getbuffer     [Sampler]
    \ss\bi\getbuffer     [Sampler]
    \ss\it\getbuffer     [Sampler]
    \switchtobodyfont    [up-three]
    \ss\tf\getbuffer     [Sampler]
    \page
    \switchtobodyfont    [it-one]
    \ss\tf\getbuffer     [Sampler]
    \ss\bf\getbuffer     [Sampler]
    \ss\bi\getbuffer     [Sampler]
    \switchtobodyfont    [it-two]
    \ss\tf\getbuffer     [Sampler]
    \ss\bf\getbuffer     [Sampler]
    \ss\bi\getbuffer     [Sampler]
    \ss\it\getbuffer     [Sampler]
    \switchtobodyfont    [it-three]
    \ss\tf\getbuffer     [Sampler]
    \stoptext

Assistance or explanation is welcome. This is just for a sampler -- the
font with just three weights when used in a real project is fine. I do
not know if the problem is with the font or with ConTeXt or with my
expectations.

--
Rik

[-- Attachment #1.2.1: Type: text/html, Size: 7401 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.2: jgbeifheplcnonnc.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 4176 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.3: gaomhmcdnaehhbnf.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 4163 bytes --]

* Re: Disappearing font feature
@ 2019-12-22 11:08 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-12-22 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/22/2019 5:36 AM, Rik Kabel wrote:
> [...]
>     \ss\bf\getbuffer     [Sampler]
>     \ss\bi\getbuffer     [Sampler]
>     \ss\it\getbuffer     [Sampler]
>     \switchtobodyfont    [up-three]
>     \ss\tf\getbuffer     [Sampler]
>     \page
>     \switchtobodyfont    [it-one]
>     \ss\tf\getbuffer     [Sampler]
>     \ss\bf\getbuffer     [Sampler]
>     \ss\bi\getbuffer     [Sampler]
>     \switchtobodyfont    [it-two]
>     \ss\tf\getbuffer     [Sampler]
>     \ss\bf\getbuffer     [Sampler]
>     \ss\bi\getbuffer     [Sampler]
>     \ss\it\getbuffer     [Sampler]
>     \switchtobodyfont    [it-three]
>     \ss\tf\getbuffer     [Sampler]
>     \stoptext
>

> Assistance or explanation is welcome. This is just for a sampler -- the
> font with just three weights when used in a real project is fine. I do
> not know if the problem is with the font or with ConTeXt or with my
i donloaded the fonts from

https://github.com/indestructible-type/Jost/tree/master/Finished/otf

and this shows what you run into:

\definefont [JHair]  [jost-100-hairline*default]
\definefont [JHairI] [jost-100-hairlineitalic*default]

\definefontfeature[ss01][ss01=yes]

\startbuffer[ss01]
     \hbox\bgroup
         \char   97\relax
         \char  224\relax
         \char  225\relax
         \char  226\relax
         \char  227\relax
         \char  228\relax
         \char  229\relax
         \char  257\relax
         \char  259\relax
         \char  261\relax
         \char 1072\relax
     \egroup
\stopbuffer

\starttext
     \startlines
         {\type{default } \JHair             \getbuffer[ss01]}
         {\type{enabled } \JHair \addff{ss01}\getbuffer[ss01]}
         {\type{disabled} \JHair \subff{ss01}\getbuffer[ss01]}
         {\type{default } \JHairI            \getbuffer[ss01]}
         {\type{enabled } \JHairI\addff{ss01}\getbuffer[ss01]}
         {\type{disabled} \JHairI\subff{ss01}\getbuffer[ss01]}
     \stoplines
\stoptext

btw, this happens often, like with oldstyle, the wished default is the
hard coded default so one has to enable/disable

now, what you miss is that you define a font without applying any
features ...

Hans

* Re: Disappearing font feature
@ 2019-12-22 12:15   ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2019-12-22 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

while trying to reproduce the example, i ran into some confusion myself...

I downloaded the fonts and installed them, then ran the script:
mtxrun --generate
mtxrun --script font --reload
context --make

verifying the existence of the font within the context region:
mtxrun --script fonts --list --all --name jost | cut -d" " -f1
shows the font appeared to be installed:
jostblack
jostblackitalic
jostbold
jostbolditalic
jostbook
jostbookitalic
josthairline
josthairlineitalic
jostheavy
jostitalic
jostlight
jostlightitalic
jostmedium
jostmediumitalic
jostnormal
jostregular
jostsemi
jostsemiitalic
jostthin
jostthinitalic

Now when i compile the example, lmtx will shows an issue with the font:

preloading latin modern fonts (second stage)
fonts           > 'fallback modern-designsize rm 12pt' is loaded
fonts           > names > font database has mismatching configuration
and file hashes
fonts           > names > warnings are disabled (tracker 'fonts.warnings')
fonts           > names > identifying tree font files with suffix 'otf'
fonts           > names > scanning path
'/home/vm/data/context/tex/texmf-project' for otf files
fonts           > names > 0 otf files checked,  okay
fonts           > names > scanning path
'/home/vm/data/context/tex/texmf-fonts' for otf files
fonts           > names > 0 otf files checked,  okay
fonts           > names > scanning path
'/home/vm/data/context/tex/texmf-local' for otf files
fonts           > names > 0 otf files checked,  okay
fonts           > names > scanning path
'/home/vm/data/context/tex/texmf-modules' for otf files
fonts           > names > 0 otf files checked,  okay
fonts           > names > scanning path
'/home/vm/data/context/tex/texmf-context' for otf files
fonts           > names > 1 otf files checked,  okay
fonts           > names > scanning path
'/home/vm/data/context/tex/texmf-linux-64' for otf files
fonts           > names > 0 otf files checked,  okay
fonts           > names > scanning path
'/home/vm/data/context/tex/texmf' for otf files
fonts           > names > 222 otf files checked,  okay
[...]
fonts           > names > 446 tree files identified, 0 skipped, 0
duplicates, 446 hash entries added, runtime 0.045 seconds

and it will fallback to the default lmroman12-regular

I noticed that if i omit the context --make
and only run
mtxrun --generate
mtxrun --script font --reload

then compile the example, lmtx will show a different set of issues.
Most likely related...

open source     > level 1, order 1, name 'cont-yes.mkiv'
system          >
system          > ConTeXt  ver: 2019.12.17 16:30 MKIV beta  fmt:
2019.12.22  int: english/english
system          >
system          > 'cont-new.mkiv' loaded
open source     > level 2, order 2, name
'/home/vm/data/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/cont-new.mkiv'
system          > beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.mkiv
close source    > level 2, order 2, name
'/home/vm/data/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/cont-new.mkiv'
system          > files > jobname 'j2', input './j2', result 'j2'
fonts           > latin modern fonts are not preloaded
languages       > language 'en' is active
open source     > level 2, order 3, name './j2.tex'
fonts           > preloading latin modern fonts (second stage)
fonts           > 'fallback modern-designsize rm 12pt' is loaded
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'jost-100-hairline' is
not found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'jost-100-hairline', loading
aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'jost-100-hairline' as
'JHair--0'
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'jost-200-thin' is not
found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'jost-200-thin', loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'jost-200-thin' as 'JThin--0'
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'jost-300-light' is
not found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'jost-300-light', loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'jost-300-light' as 'JLigh--0'
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'jost-400-book' is not
found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'jost-400-book', loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'jost-400-book' as 'JBook--0'
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'jost-500-medium' is
not found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'jost-500-medium', loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'jost-500-medium' as
'JMedi--0'
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'jost-600-semi' is not
found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'jost-600-semi', loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'jost-600-semi' as 'JSemi--0'
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'jost-700-bold' is not
found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'jost-700-bold', loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'jost-700-bold' as 'JBold--0'
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'jost-800-heavy' is
not found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'jost-800-heavy', loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'jost-800-heavy' as 'JHeav--0'
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'jost-900-black' is
not found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'jost-900-black', loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'jost-900-black' as 'JBlac--0'
backend         > xmp > using file
'/home/vm/data/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/lpdf-pdx.xml'
pages           > flushing realpage 1, userpage 1, subpage 1
fonts           > defining > font with asked name
'jost-100-hairlineitalic' is not found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'jost-100-hairlineitalic',
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'jost-100-hairlineitalic'
as 'JHairI--0'
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'jost-200-thinitalic'
is not found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'jost-200-thinitalic', loading
aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'jost-200-thinitalic' as
'JThinI--0'
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'jost-300-lightitalic'
is not found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'jost-300-lightitalic',
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'jost-300-lightitalic' as
'JLighI--0'
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'jost-400-bookitalic'
is not found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'jost-400-bookitalic', loading
mtxrun --generate
mtxrun --script font --reloadaborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'jost-400-bookitalic' as
'JBookI--0'mtxrun --generate
mtxrun --script font --reload
fonts           > defining > font with asked name
'jost-500-mediumitalic' is not found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'jost-500-mediumitalic',
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'jost-500-mediumitalic' as
'JMediI--0'
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'jost-600-semiitalic'
is not found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'jost-600-semiitalic', loading
aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'jost-600-semiitalic' as
'JSemiI--0'
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'jost-700-bolditalic'
is not found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'jost-700-bolditalic', loading
aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'jost-700-bolditalic' as
'JBoldI--0'
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'jost-800-heavyitalic'
is not found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'jost-800-heavyitalic',
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'jost-800-heavyitalic' as
'JHeavI--0'
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'jost-900-blackitalic'
is not found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font 'jost-900-blackitalic',
fonts           > defining > unable to define 'jost-900-blackitalic' as
'JBlacI--0'
pages           > flushing realpage 2, userpage 2, subpage 2
close source    > level 2, order 3, name './j2.tex'

[-- Attachment #2: pEpkey.asc --]

* Re: Disappearing font feature
@ 2019-12-22 16:27   ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2019-12-22 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/22/2019 06:08, Hans Hagen wrote:

> btw, this happens often, like with oldstyle, the wished default is the
> hard coded default so one has to enable/disable
>
> now, what you miss is that you define a font without applying any
> features ...

Thank you, Hans,

I see now that SS01 reverses the default setting for the font. The
default for the italic faces is the single-storey form, so I need only
apply the changed feature to the upright faces to get what I want.

--
Rik