* Suggestions on fonts and foundries
@ 2010-03-01  3:54 Tom
From: Tom @ 2010-03-01  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Some time back I recall seeing a message in which someone discussed using
fonts available from foundries and recommended certain ones. Unfortunately,
I can't seem to find that message. I will probably need one serif font for
the text of the book, a plain sans serif font to use for entries in a table,
a fancier sans serif font for chapter titles and, possibly a different
not-too-plain sans serif font for page headers. Also, I can't figure out how
to tell ConTeXt which font to use for page headers.

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax
Twitter: @TomBenjey

* Re: Suggestions on fonts and foundries
@ 2010-03-02 10:26 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2010-03-02 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2010-03-01 um 04:54 schrieb Tom:

> Some time back I recall seeing a message in which someone discussed
> using
> fonts available from foundries and recommended certain ones.
> Unfortunately,
> I can't seem to find that message. I will probably need one serif
> font for
> the text of the book, a plain sans serif font to use for entries in
> a table,
> a fancier sans serif font for chapter titles and, possibly a different
> not-too-plain sans serif font for page headers. Also, I can't figure
> out how
> to tell ConTeXt which font to use for page headers.

I guess you know http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts ?

Without knowing the subject and/or intended audience of your book I
can't suggest suitable fonts.

Generally I find Palatino (TeX Gyre Pagella) with Frutiger (in a
pinch: MS Calibri) a very good combination, even if rather conservative.

SIL Gentium is also a very nice body font, if you like a "soft, human"
touch. Linotype Finnegan is a matching sans-serif; perhaps try
Libertine Biolinum, if you want a free one.

For more technically looking sans's I like LM Sans and URW Grotesk
(especially in small sizes).

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Suggestions on fonts and foundries
@ 2010-03-02 11:32   ` John Haltiwanger
From: John Haltiwanger @ 2010-03-02 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)