* math symbol for "is an element of"
@ 2020-11-05 20:22 type
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: type @ 2020-11-05 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

A quick question for the ConTeXt mailing list:

Other than typing it directly (or cutting and pasting it), how does one get
the character ∈ (in case this gets garbled in emailing, this is supposed to
be the mathematical symbol that looks more or less like an epsilon, and
which is the mathematical symbol for "is an element of" a set).

\showmathfontcharacters gives the following information about it:

U+02208: ∈ ∈ element of
width: 524262, height: 426798, depth: 33798, italic: 0
mathclass: relation, mathname: in

I'm not completely sure how to read this information, but if I read it
correctly, perhaps this character should be gotten with \in. Also, the Basic
Math page of the Wiki (https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Math/basic) states
that you should be able to type this character with "\in". But that doesn't
work (even inside a formula), since \in is used for references in ConTeXt.
And in fact the link on the Basic Math page for \in takes you to the
explanation of \in as used for ConTeXt references.

This is a very common character in mathematics, so I wanted to ask: what is
the recommended way to type this character? (I'm hoping to avoid having to
cut and paste the character into the document every time I want to use it.
And I don't have a utf enabled keyboard that would allow me to type this
symbol readily from the keyboard.)

Thanks in advance,

Sciurus