* Problem with columns and footnotes
@ 2017-06-30  7:33 Henri Menke
From: Henri Menke @ 2017-06-30  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear list,

motivated by a question on TeX.SX I wanted to typeset multicolumn text with multicolumn footnotes.
 However, on the first page the distance between the columns and the footnote area is way too large.
 Occurs in TL2017 and latest beta.

Also, is there something to influence the alignment inside the footnotes more aggressively.  There
are a couple of bad boxes.  Is it possible to turn of balancing for the footnote columns?

Cheers, Henri

---

\setupnote
  [footnote]
  [n=4,
   rule=no,
   frame=on,
   frameoffset=1ex]

\setupnotation
  [footnote]
  [alternative=hanging,
   align={raggedright,verytolerant}]

\setupcolumns
  [rule=on]

\starttext

\startcolumns[n=2]
  \input Knuth\footnote{FreeBSD tire ses origines de l'UNIX de Berkeley.}
  \input ward\footnote{This does not seem to be implemented yet.}
  \input hawking\footnote{Left, right (raggedleft, raggedright).}
  \input Knuth\footnote{Distance between columns bad hyphenation.}
  \input ward\footnote{Draw a line between the columns. Default is off.}
  \input Knuth\footnote{FreeBSD tire ses origines de l'UNIX de Berkeley.}
  \input ward\footnote{Draw a line between the columns. Default is off.}
  \input hawking\footnote{Left, right (raggedleft, raggedright).}
  \input Knuth\footnote{Distance between columns bad hyphenation.}
  \input ward\footnote{Draw a line between the columns. Default is off.}
  \input ward\footnote{Draw a line between the columns. Default is off.}
\stopcolumns

\stoptext

[-- Attachment #2: test.pdf --]

* Re: Problem with columns and footnotes
@ 2017-06-30 16:33 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-06-30 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 06/30/2017 09:33 AM, Henri Menke wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> motivated by a question on TeX.SX I wanted to typeset multicolumn text with multicolumn footnotes.
>  However, on the first page the distance between the columns and the footnote area is way too large.
>  Occurs in TL2017 and latest beta.
>
> Also, is there something to influence the alignment inside the footnotes more aggressively.  There
> are a couple of bad boxes.  Is it possible to turn of balancing for the footnote columns?
> [...]
> \setupnotation
>   [footnote]
>   [alternative=hanging,
>    align={raggedright,verytolerant}]

Hi Henri,

add width=broad to this.

But in that case \setupnotes[spacebefore=3em] doesn’t work.

Just in case it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Problem with columns and footnotes
@ 2017-07-01  1:04   ` Henri Menke
From: Henri Menke @ 2017-07-01  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 07/01/2017 04:33 AM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 06/30/2017 09:33 AM, Henri Menke wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> motivated by a question on TeX.SX I wanted to typeset multicolumn text with multicolumn footnotes.
>>  However, on the first page the distance between the columns and the footnote area is way too large.
>>  Occurs in TL2017 and latest beta.
>>
>> Also, is there something to influence the alignment inside the footnotes more aggressively.  There
>> are a couple of bad boxes.  Is it possible to turn of balancing for the footnote columns?
>> [...]
>> \setupnotation
>>   [footnote]
>>   [alternative=hanging,
>>    align={raggedright,verytolerant}]
>
> Hi Henri,
>
> add width=broad to this.

That seems to make the alignment a little more relaxed (still not so nice in my opinion).  At the same time the text now crashes into the footnotes on the second page (see attached).  I also noticed that footnote 5 is displayed on the first page but the anchor is on the second page.

@ 2017-07-05 18:45     ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-07-05 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 07/01/2017 03:04 AM, Henri Menke wrote:
> On 07/01/2017 04:33 AM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>> On 06/30/2017 09:33 AM, Henri Menke wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> \setupnotation
>>>   [footnote]
>>>   [alternative=hanging,
>>>    align={raggedright,verytolerant}]
>>
>> Hi Henri,
>>
>> add width=broad to this.
>
> That seems to make the alignment a little more relaxed (still not so
> nice in my opinion).  At the same time the text now crashes into the
> footnotes on the second page (see attached).  I also noticed that
> footnote 5 is displayed on the first page but the anchor is on the
> second page.
Hi Henri,

this is the first time I see footnote text placed in a page before the
footnote reference. In the past, I saw foonotes places in the page after
the reference.

But the issue here may be the columns:

    \showframe
    \showgrid

    \setupcolumns
      [rule=on]

    \starttext

    \startcolumns[n=2]
      \input Knuth
      \input ward
      \input hawking
      \input Knuth
      \input ward
      \input Knuth
      \input ward
      \input hawking
      \input Knuth
      \input ward
      \input ward
    \stopcolumns

    \stoptext

The last line from the first page should be placed in the second page.
Or at least, the footer shouldn’t contain text from the body.

And in the sample with footnotes, text from columns is broken too early.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk