* understanding index sorting
@ 2017-04-01 20:07 Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-04-01 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans,

I have just discovered the following:

    \define[1]\indx{#1\index{#1}}
    \starttext
    \indx{an} \indx{american} \indx{Aphrodite}
    \placeindex
    \stoptext

Lowercase letters are placed after its uppercase counterparts.

I don’t have (almost) any experience with indices in ConTeXt, but which
is the way to turn this off?

Sorry, but I don’t see a reason to have this as default. I mean, I have
never seen any encyclopedia or dictionary that sorts entries according
to letter case.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: understanding index sorting
@ 2017-04-01 20:51 ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2017-04-01 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2017-04-01 16:07, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> Hans,
>
> I have just discovered the following:
>
>      \define[1]\indx{#1\index{#1}}
>      \starttext
>      \indx{an} \indx{american} \indx{Aphrodite}
>      \placeindex
>      \stoptext
>
> Lowercase letters are placed after its uppercase counterparts.
>
> I don’t have (almost) any experience with indices in ConTeXt, but which
> is the way to turn this off?
>
> Sorry, but I don’t see a reason to have this as default. I mean, I have
> never seen any encyclopedia or dictionary that sorts entries according
> to letter case.

I believe you want method=default for your \setupregister[index][]
options. The allowable values appear to be default, first, last, before,
and after. With nothing specified you do not get the same as specifying
default. I asked about these a while back but got no answer. There is a
cryptic explanation from 2010 at

http://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context%40ntg.nl/msg50454.html.

--
Rik

* Re: understanding index sorting
@ 2017-04-01 22:09   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-04-01 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04/01/2017 10:51 PM, Rik Kabel wrote:
> On 2017-04-01 16:07, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>> [...]
>> Sorry, but I don’t see a reason to have this as default. I mean, I have
>> never seen any encyclopedia or dictionary that sorts entries according
>> to letter case.
>>
> I believe you want method=default for your \setupregister[index][]
> options. The allowable values appear to be default, first, last, before,
> and after. With nothing specified you do not get the same as specifying
> default. I asked about these a while back but got no answer.

Rik,

many thanks for your reply.

Naming an option default not being the default should have very strong
reasons, because I’m afraid that the name is most misleading.

Greek word sorting requires extra replacements. Otherwise, sorting is
wrong and uppercase and lowecase entries generate two heads.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk