* author in ToC and other design complications
@ 2020-09-04  4:44 jbf
From: jbf @ 2020-09-04  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Very much at the conclusion of a complicated book where most if not all
issues in the body of the text are resolved, but now comes the really
difficult part: the Table of Contents.

Here is what I am currently using (but it does not produce what I have
been asked for, which is explained below this MWE):

%------------------------------

\setuphead [subject] [incrementnumber=list]
\setuphead [title] [incrementnumber=list]
\setupcombinedlist
   [content]
[list={chapter,title,section,subsection}]\switchtobodyfont[10.5pt]
\setuplist[chapter][style=normal,alternative=b, before=]

And then I place the ToC using:

\definehead
   [tochead]
   [title]
\starttochead[title={Contents}]
   \placecombinedlist[content]
\stoptochead

%-----------------------------

The last bit ensures that I get the word 'Contents' as the toc title,
and avoid then getting 'contents' listed as an item with its page
number. And if I want a relatively straightforward Table of Contents,
then this mostly works, giving me (e.g.):

Foreword                    iii

One   Chapter title      1

Two    Chapter title      10

etc.

Of course, I would prefer it to say 'Chapter One' not just 'One', so
that is a minor problem I still have to resolve. But in fact, the
publisher wants something quite different and I really do not know how
to go about it. I did look at 'Author in ToC' in the wiki, but that
referred me to a somewhat complicated Proceedings style, and given that
my Chapters are all set up anyway, I just couldn't follow that. Am
hoping there is some other way I can achieve the design that follows:

Foreword            Author's name        iii

Chapter One       Chapter title

                             Author's name       1

Chapter Two        1820-1880

                             Chapter title

                             Author's name       10

I need to add that the current setup to obtain Chapter Two is with
\setuplabeltext[chapter={{Chapter },{:1820-1880}}] which gives me
Chapter Two:1820-1880

I had thought that maybe I could get the author with something like

\starttitle[title={\ss Foreword}][author={Author Name}]

Foreword content....

\stoptitle

But that does not produce any author name in the ToC, and in fact the
Author's name in the Chapter opening page is simply placed manually as a
right-aligned item in the position where I want it, nothing to do with
the setup for \chapter (or \title in this case).

Given the above complicated design (or so it seems to me) will I have to
just set the ToC up manually with a table, or can it be achieved otherwise?

Julian

* Re: author in ToC and other design complications
@ 2020-09-04  7:38 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-09-04  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 04.09.2020 um 06:44 schrieb jbf <roma83537@gmail.com>:
>

> Of course, I would prefer it to say 'Chapter One' not just 'One', so that is a minor problem I still have to resolve. But in fact, the publisher wants something quite different and I really do not know how to go about it. I did look at 'Author in ToC' in the wiki, but that referred me to a somewhat complicated Proceedings style, and given that my Chapters are all set up anyway, I just couldn't follow that. Am hoping there is some other way I can achieve the design that follows:
>
> Foreword            Author's name        iii
>
> Chapter One       Chapter title
>
>                             Author's name       1
>
> Chapter Two        1820-1880
>
>                             Chapter title
>
>                             Author's name       10

I just replaced the according section https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Table_of_Contents#Author_in_ToC for you.

Hraban

* Re: author in ToC and other design complications
@ 2020-09-04 10:08   ` jbf
From: jbf @ 2020-09-04 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, and I am sure that this entry into the wiki will be also helpful
for others. For me it will be step by step, and using your information I
can now at least get an author's name into the toc! But that's about
all. Just know that when you say (in the new wiki addition) 'check on
\rawstructurelistuservariable' that  link simply tells me 'There is
currently no text in this page'. That leaves someone like me without a
lot of the long-gained knowledge that others have, quite lost :-)

But I took your example and adjusted it for, say, a chapter which has
just a title (no subtitle) and an author, and added, below what I
already have in the preamble:

\define[1]\ChapterTocEntry{%
   \structurelistuservariable{author}\crlf%
   #1\crlf% title
   %\structurelistuservariable{subtitle}}%
}

\setuplist[chapter][
   textcommand=\ChapterTocEntry,
]

So, in other words I swapped the word 'section' in your example with
'chapter'. That now gives me in the ToC, something like the following:

One   Author name

          Title                        pg no.

Which is pretty much what I am after. Hooray! But how do I get that in
reverse? And how do I get the word 'chapter' to also appear in front of
'One'? You see what I mean by needing step-by-step. Maybe there are not
too many nearly 75+-year-olds still surviving Covid and working with
ConTeXt! But I don't give up too easily, so let me just get this next
step right with a bit of help.

Julian

@ 2020-09-04 11:08     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-09-04 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 04.09.2020 um 12:08 schrieb jbf <roma83537@gmail.com>:
>
> Thanks, and I am sure that this entry into the wiki will be also helpful for others. For me it will be step by step, and using your information I can now at least get an author's name into the toc! But that's about all.

And that’s what the wiki entry is about and what I can tell.

> Just know that when you say (in the new wiki addition) 'check on \rawstructurelistuservariable' that  link simply tells me 'There is currently no text in this page'. That leaves someone like me without a lot of the long-gained knowledge that others have, quite lost :-)

Sorry that the command is still undocumented but I thought the example would be clear enough:

You can’t check (i.e. use \doifnot) on \structurelistuservariable because that always contains at least some invisible tokens, you must use \rawstructurelistuservariable instead.

But if all of your chapters have the author set, you don’t need that check.

> But I took your example and adjusted it for, say, a chapter which has just a title (no subtitle) and an author, and added, below what I already have in the preamble:
>
> \define[1]\ChapterTocEntry{%
>   \structurelistuservariable{author}\crlf%
>   #1\crlf% title
>   %\structurelistuservariable{subtitle}}%
> }
>
> \setuplist[chapter][
>   textcommand=\ChapterTocEntry,
> ]
>
> So, in other words I swapped the word 'section' in your example with 'chapter'. That now gives me in the ToC, something like the following:
>
> One   Author name
>
>          Title                        pg no.
>
> Which is pretty much what I am after. Hooray! But how do I get that in reverse?

Have another look at your \ChapterTocEntry: you call the author by \structurelistuservariable{author} and set the title as #1 in the next line. Just adapt this to your needs.

> And how do I get the word 'chapter' to also appear in front of 'One'?

Try \labeltext{chapter} in the right place.

Good luck & have fun!
Hraban