From: "Robert F. Beeger" <5beeger@informatik.uni-hamburg.de>
Subject: Re: Problem with AER-Font : ß becomes SS
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 11:12:01 +0100	[thread overview]

At 11:45 05.03.2001 +0100, Uwe Koloska wrote:
>Am Montag,  5. März 2001 08:31 hat Robert F. Beeger geschrieben:
> > Thanks for this info, but my problem still remains.
> > \useencoding[win] is changing the input encoding. So I should use it
> > before there is any text-input.
> > In my understanding this should be before my hyphenation file
> > (xhyphen.tex) is input.
> > When I do this, I get again the hypenation error that complains that the
> > word to be hyphenated must contain only letters and hyphens.
>
>Here it would have been a good idea to cite the error message correctly.

Sorry, I thought that everyone would understand my e-mail as a follow-up to
the one I posted some two weeks ago
to this mailing-list ("Hyphenation of german words and em-dashes in german
texts."), in which I have described this error and
also have put it into the message. That's the advantage of news-groups.
They are structured.
Here's again the error:
encoding       : coding win is loaded
(g:/TeX/texmf/tex/context/base/enco-win.tex) (./xhyphen.tex
! Improper \hyphenation will be flushed.
\dohandleaccent #1#2->\def
                            \glyph {#2}\ifx \glyph \empty \dohandleaccent
#1\...
l.1 \hyphenation{Prõ
                     -sen-ta-tion}
? h
Hyphenation exceptions must contain only letters
and hyphens. But continue; I'll forgive and forget.

>It appears on the "\hyphenation" command and not when the hyphenation is
>really done (that was what I have understand ...)

That's what I meant.

> > So, using the AER-Font doesn't change anything in this situation.
> > Only when I use this \useencoding[win] after the hyphenation is done, all
> > seems to work.
>
>Have you tried a minimal file without any hyphenation-exception?

Yes. When using \useencoding[win] it all works. But without any
hyphenation-exception I don't need the AER-Font.
\useencoding[win] does the right mapping with CMR, too. I changed to AER to
make a hyphenation like
\hyphenation{Prä-sen-ta-tion} (see it: now it's the right command :) )
possible. I don't see any other advantages in
using AER. I read that there are misadvantages in using AER when the text
has formulas with greek letters in it.
In my current text this is lukily not the problem. So sometimes it's more
an misadvantage to use AER.

> > My concern is that when I hyphenate \hyphenate{au\-ßer\-dem} what it will
>
>I think you have mistyped the command here:
>   \hyphenation{auß-er-dem}

That's right. I have written my hyphenation-file some weeks ago and am not
using thís hyphenation
command very often. I should have had another look into this file before
writing this e-mail.
In my hyphenation-file I use the right command.

>is the internal TeX command that is meant for hyphenation exceptions
>
> > be hyphenated like.
> > Will TeX now have "au\-ßer\-dem" in its hyphenation table or
> > "au\-SSer\-dem"? Will an "außerdem"
> > after the change to the win-input-encoding be recognized as the one
> > hyphenated before the change?
>
>I don't know.  Is there any chance to get the internal hypenation table?

Don't know, either.

>By reproducing your problem with a minimal input for context and latex,  I
>understand it better:
>
>Because "außerdem" will be hyphenated properly, it is a bad example.  So I
>changed the right hyphenation to a wrong one ...
>
>Here is the latex example:
>\documentclass{article}
>\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
>\usepackage{german}
>\usepackage{ae}
>
>\hyphenation{auß-er-dem}
>
>\begin{document}
>
>außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem
>außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem
>außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem
>außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem
>außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem
>außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem
>außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem
>außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem
>außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem
>außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem
>außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem
>außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem
>außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem
>außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem
>außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem außerdem
>
>\end{document}
>

>and now the one for context:
>\mainlanguage[de]
>\language[de]
>
>\setupbodyfont[aer, 10pt]
>
>\hyphenation{auß-er-dem}
>
>\useencoding[win]
>
>\starttext
>\dorecurse{100}{außerdem }
>\stoptext
>
>The latex example runs correctly and hyphenates like it is given.  Context
>runs properly but doesn't hyphenate the way it is given (it uses the right
>hypenation though)
>
>So I think, there is a problem with contexts input encoding.

You did a deeper exploring than I had thought of and probably you have also
found a bug I haven't thought of.

My problem is - to make it short - that I cannot have a
\hyphenation{Prä-sen-ta-tion}
after a
\useencoding[win]
and that using AER doesn't help here.

I tested my text for the bug you found.
In my hyphenation file I have changed \hyphenate{Prä-sen-ta-tion} to
\hyphenate{Prä-ßen-ta-tion}. This is not the right writing of the word, but
it gives an interesting test case.

In my text I have an overful \hbox with the word "Präsentation" in it. This
I also changed to "Präßentation".

Here's this overful box in a run without my own hyphenations:
Overfull \hbox (2.53653pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 898--903
[]/aer10/Ein An-satz wä-re be-stimmt, die Prä-ÿen-ta-ti-on so zu neh-men, wie s
ie ist und sie über die ViewProvider-

And here it is with the my own hyphenations
Overfull \hbox (2.53653pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 898--903
[]/aer10/Ein An-satz wä-re be-stimmt, die Prä-ÿen-ta-ti-on so zu neh-men, wie s
ie ist und sie über die ViewProvider-

Tex doesn't recognize this "Präßentation" to be the one in the
hyphenation-command before the \useencoding[win].
How could it. The input encoding has changed in the meanwhile.

To make it clearer:

\setupbodyfont[aer, 10pt]
\hyphenation{Prä-ßen-ta-tion}
\useencoding[win]
\starttext
Präßentation  % This is not the word specified in the hyphenation-command
\stoptext

Another test. Now with Prääsentation instead of Präsentation.
Without own hyphenation:
Overfull \hbox (2.53653pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 898--903
[]/aer10/Ein An-satz wä-re be-stimmt, die Prää-en-ta-ti-on so zu neh-men, wie s
ie ist und sie über die ViewProvider-

and with own hyphenation
Overfull \hbox (2.53653pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 898--903
[]/aer10/Ein An-satz wä-re be-stimmt, die Prä-äen-ta-tion so zu neh-men, wie si
e ist und sie über die ViewProvider-

So it seems to be a problem with the ß or with the encoding in general.
You can't use \useencoding[win] before the \hyphenation-commands.
You can't use it afer these commands, because then the words aren't recognize.

I'm not an expert in this encoding-topic, but it seems to me that AER
should map ß to ß as it does with ä to ä, ü to ü etc.
When using AER there should be no need for using \useencoding[win] since
this doesn't work with \hyphenation.

Maybe there's a needing for  AERWin, AERUnix etc. to make the right mapping.
Or maybe \useencoding[win] should work with \hyphenation, but then there is
no need for AER.

Robert