* spacing with units module
@ 2001-06-11 12:19 Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2001-06-11 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I have a question concerning the units module. Is it possible to define the
spacing between the number and the unit without changing the input? I would
prefer thin spaces for this purpose as well as between units.

Since I'm new to this list (just switching from LaTeX), let me list the
sources of information I have found on my own, so you can tell me if there
would have been others.

1) the ConTeXt manual (english)

2) the mail archive of this list

3) texexec --module m-units (well, the answer can surely be found there,
but my TeX skills are not yet sufficient to do this in an acceptable time)
Furthermore, the resulting dvi-file says 'There is a separate manual for
this module.' If this is true, where can it be found?

Thanks,

Eckhart

* Re: spacing with units module
@ 2001-06-11 13:33 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-06-11 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 02:19 PM 6/11/01 +0200, Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I have a question concerning the units module. Is it possible to define the
>spacing between the number and the unit without changing the input? I would
>prefer thin spaces for this purpose as well as between units.

At this moment it's not configurable, except from some low level macros:

\def\dimensionhalfspace {\,}
\def\dimensionbackspace {\!}

So, you may change these to values you like more (maybe taco has some
suggestions).

>3) texexec --module m-units (well, the answer can surely be found there,
>but my TeX skills are not yet sufficient to do this in an acceptable time)
>Furthermore, the resulting dvi-file says 'There is a separate manual for
>this module.' If this is true, where can it be found?

have to look that one up (maintained by a collegue),

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: spacing with units module
@ 2001-06-26 20:22   ` Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2001-06-26 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 15:33 11.06.2001 +0200, you wrote:
>At this moment it's not configurable, except from some low level macros:
>
>\def\dimensionhalfspace {\,}
>\def\dimensionbackspace {\!}
>
>So, you may change these to values you like more (maybe taco has some
>suggestions).

I succeeded in adjusting the spacing between number and unit via
\def\dimensionbackspace{...}. But the spacing between adjectant units is
also altered by changing this parameter. I assume there is no easy way to
change this independently, since there is only \dimensionhalfspace for
both? And the spacing between between unit and number is influenced only in
math mode.
I think these are points worth considering in future modifications, as many
people (and scientific journals) have different preferences concerning units.

Greetings,
Eckhart