From: e_w_g@t-online.de (Eckhart Guthöhrlein)
Subject: Re: hanging punctuation, but not in captions
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 15:50:12 +0200	[thread overview]

At 23:21 10.09.2001 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>At 11:33 AM 9/10/2001 +0200, Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:
>>As I mentioned in an earlier posting, I have enabled hanging punctuation
>>by the following lines
>>
>>\usetypescript[serif,sans,mono][hanging][pure]
>>\setupalign [hanging]
>>\definetypeface [modern] [rm] [serif] [computer-modern] [default]
>>[handling=pure,encoding=ec]
>>\definetypeface [modern] [mm] [math]  [computer-modern] [computer-modern] []
>>\setupbodyfont[ams,modern]
>>
>>Everything works fine, except for the captions of my figures: no hanging
>>punctuation there. Why that, and what to do about it?
>
>(1) hanging is turned off in general 'reset' situatations, so then you
>have to turn it on
>(2) hanging does not work in hboxes and sometimes we use unhboxed hboxes
>
>you can experiment with turning it on inside the caption.

Thank you, a simple \setupalign[hanging] inside the caption is sufficient.
I encountered some difficulties when I tried to insert it automatically via
\setupcaptions[style={\setupalign[hanging]}]
I got an error message, probably due to expansion.
Finally, I found

\newtoks\HANGTOKS
\HANGTOKS={\setupalign[hanging]}
\setupcaptions[headstyle=\tfx\it,style=\the\HANGTOKS\tfx]

This works fine now. Some other problems resulted from a long forgotton
\setupbodyfont[11pt] following the first setup command. Now I have
\setupbodyfont[11pt,ams,modern] - I noticed this because switching font
size turned off haning, which is fixed by the new order in \setupbodyfont.

>>Another problem with fonts in captions: if I switch to a different font
>>size via
>
>The following should demo what is possible

[...]

>So, there is also style

Ooops, sorry... But still, I have this example file:

\setupcaptions[headstyle=\tfxx\it,style=\tfxx]
\starttext
    \placefigure{The same bla bla \digits 1000 times and
       then again: $x\times y$.}
       {\framed{How nice!}}
     And shouldn't the next formula be {\tfxx at least $10^x$ times}
     smaller? Well, it isn't!
\stoptext

Math mode does not adapt to the current font size. This is not limited to
captions, so is this a known problem? For the \digits, the code you sent to
Marco (Re: Questions/Comments) helps by avoiding math mode.

Thank you,

Eckhart