* nlines parameter for floats has no effect
@ 2001-09-10 10:20 Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2001-09-10 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oh, those .. floats! I have a rather large float which leaves nearly no
room for text on the page. The problem: nearly - since context puts a
single line of text below the float! According to the manual, the nlines
parameter has a default value of 4, so this should not happen. Setting

\setupfloats[nlines=10]

has no effect, I still get this single line (as well as other floats with 6
and 8 lines below...)

Anybody any ideas what is wrong?

I tried to put the float on a page of its own via the placement key 'page',
but then, as I reported some days ago, context immediately starts a new
page where \placefigure occurs in my input file. This is more what I would
expect from 'here'.

Eckhart

* Re: nlines parameter for floats has no effect
@ 2001-09-10 21:24 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-09-10 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 12:20 PM 9/10/2001 +0200, Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:
>Oh, those .. floats! I have a rather large float which leaves nearly no
>room for text on the page. The problem: nearly - since context puts a
>single line of text below the float! According to the manual, the nlines
>parameter has a default value of 4, so this should not happen. Setting
>
>\setupfloats[nlines=10]
>
>has no effect, I still get this single line (as well as other floats with
>6 and 8 lines below...)
>
>Anybody any ideas what is wrong?
>
>I tried to put the float on a page of its own via the placement key
>'page', but then, as I reported some days ago, context immediately starts
>a new page where \placefigure occurs in my input file. This is more what I
>would expect from 'here'.

Can you provide a minimal example? There can be subtle rounding error
changes in such cases, sometimes it helps to define the heigh tof the text
in lines instead of height:

\setuplayout[lines=50]

but i really need an example

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: nlines parameter for floats has no effect
@ 2001-09-11 14:33   ` Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2001-09-11 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 23:24 10.09.2001 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>At 12:20 PM 9/10/2001 +0200, Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:
>>Oh, those .. floats! I have a rather large float which leaves nearly no
>>room for text on the page. The problem: nearly - since context puts a
>>single line of text below the float! According to the manual, the nlines
>>parameter has a default value of 4, so this should not happen. Setting
>>
>>\setupfloats[nlines=10]
>>
>>has no effect, I still get this single line (as well as other floats with
>>6 and 8 lines below...)
>>
>>Anybody any ideas what is wrong?
>>
>>I tried to put the float on a page of its own via the placement key
>>'page', but then, as I reported some days ago, context immediately starts
>>a new page where \placefigure occurs in my input file. This is more what
>>I would expect from 'here'.
>
>Can you provide a minimal example? There can be subtle rounding error
>changes in such cases, sometimes it helps to define the heigh tof the text
>in lines instead of height:
>
>\setuplayout[lines=50]
>
>but i really need an example

First, an example demonstrating the nlines problem.

%\setupfloats[nlines=10]
\starttext
    \dorecurse{100}{Some text. }

    \placefigure[][refrfsjd]{Some figure.}
       {\framed{\vbox to 18cm{\vss\tfd\hfil High and mighty\hfil\vss}}}
    \dorecurse{250}{Some text. }

    Some text.
\stoptext

The figure is put on the second page with three lines of text. Uncommenting
the nlines=10 doesn't change anything. Shouldn't the figure get a page
without text if there is no possibility to get at least nlines?

Here, a text showing my problem with the 'page' key of \placefigure - it is
typeset on three pages:

\starttext
    There will be a page break just in a moment!
    \placefigure[page][refrfsjd]{Well, the figure is in fact
       on a page of its own.}
       {\framed{\tfd High and mighty}}
    But this should go on the first page, too, I think.
\stoptext

Eckhart