* Swedish characters
@ 2001-10-29 15:42 hegardt
From: hegardt @ 2001-10-29 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

Thanks for great advice regarding the special layout needed in our catalogue
(Re:Special Layout)! It looks even better than inDesign!

Now i have a couple of new questions regarding language:

1. Is it possible to use a input file containing swedish characters if I use
computer modern? I have noticed it works with lbr and the postscript fonts, but I
really like cm and would prefer not to searchandreplace every time I am about to
process a new file.

2. If the answer to q1 is no - will the words containing for example "a or "o
hyphenate allright?

3. If 1 and 2 is 'no' - Is it extremely hard to create a variant of cm that
contains the right characters?

Regards,

Fredrik Hegardt
Goteborg

* Re: Swedish characters
@ 2001-10-30 10:43 ` Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2001-10-30 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 16:42 29.10.2001 +0100, hegardt@medstud.gu.se wrote:
>1. Is it possible to use a input file containing swedish characters if I use
>computer modern? I have noticed it works with lbr and the postscript
>fonts, but I
>really like cm and would prefer not to searchandreplace every time I am
>about to
>process a new file.

I think that

\enableregime[windows] % or what is appropriate in your case

should work independently of the font used in your output.

>2. If the answer to q1 is no - will the words containing for example "a or "o
>hyphenate allright?
>3. If 1 and 2 is 'no' - Is it extremely hard to create a variant of cm that
>contains the right characters?

The characters must not be composed, but have to be available in the font
as single glyphs for correct hyphenation (I think so, at least). So you
have to use the ec fonts. For pdf, you should use type-1, either one of the
newly available versions of the ec fonts, which you would have to install,
or most simply a collection of virtual fonts like the ae fonts, which can
be activated by

\setupbodyfont[aer]

Eckhart