* How about Cyrillic?
@ 2001-08-05  8:15 Olya Briginets
From: Olya Briginets @ 2001-08-05  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

  Is cyrillic support planned in ConTeXt?
  Is there any cyrillization available?

  I have made some support for cyrillic languages (only russian and
ukrainian so far) and it works for me, however, I'm not sure I have made it
ideologically correct, do not know the right way to do it. I use officially
supported in LaTeX (babel uses it) T2A font encoding, and windows cyrillic
input encoding (cp1251).

  Some problems with cyrillic are that there are several input encoding in
use -- koi-8 in *nix world, Windows cp1251 in Windows world and DOS cp866 in
DOS (and Windows too) world (not to mention ISO cyrillic, which in fact are
rarely used, and Mac cyrillic encoding, as Mac users, I believe, use
commercial out-of-box soft so I have not care about them).
And the only supported as freeware font encodings, T2*, differ from all the
above mentioned input encodings.
  In LaTeX, this situation is handled via inputenc/fontenc mechanism;
inputenc is not very good because it makes lot of letters active. I use
\defineactivecharacter in my ConTeXt cyrillization. This, however, excludes
the possibility of cyrillic interface.

  Does one know how to handle this?

(The other possibility would by to create virtual fonts for each encoding,
but there would be too many of them, and, besides, I know nothing about
virtual fonts creation.)

Olya

* Re: How about Cyrillic?
@ 2001-08-06  7:54 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-06  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 11:15 AM 8/5/2001 +0300, Olya Briginets wrote:
>Hello,
>
>   Is cyrillic support planned in ConTeXt?
>   Is there any cyrillization available?
>
>   I have made some support for cyrillic languages (only russian and
>ukrainian so far) and it works for me, however, I'm not sure I have made it
>ideologically correct, do not know the right way to do it. I use officially
>supported in LaTeX (babel uses it) T2A font encoding, and windows cyrillic
>input encoding (cp1251).
>
>   Some problems with cyrillic are that there are several input encoding in
>use -- koi-8 in *nix world, Windows cp1251 in Windows world and DOS cp866 in
>DOS (and Windows too) world (not to mention ISO cyrillic, which in fact are
>rarely used, and Mac cyrillic encoding, as Mac users, I believe, use
>commercial out-of-box soft so I have not care about them).
>And the only supported as freeware font encodings, T2*, differ from all the
>above mentioned input encodings.
>   In LaTeX, this situation is handled via inputenc/fontenc mechanism;
>inputenc is not very good because it makes lot of letters active. I use
>\defineactivecharacter in my ConTeXt cyrillization. This, however, excludes
>the possibility of cyrillic interface.
>
>   Does one know how to handle this?
>
>(The other possibility would by to create virtual fonts for each encoding,
>but there would be too many of them, and, besides, I know nothing about
>virtual fonts creation.)

There are several ways:

(1) directly map the input on the output
(2) go via intermediate glyph containers

Both methods are supported. So, if you can line out what your *ideal*
method is, and provide me with sample files i can see what is needed.

What encoding do you want to use in your editor? What encoding is the best
for output encoding (probably T2A). What fonts do we need for testing?

What I need is a list of glyph names. Can you make such a list?

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl