* Installing mathpazo
@ 2001-08-06 13:42 Marco Kuhlmann
From: Marco Kuhlmann @ 2001-08-06 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Hello!

Now that I have the pxfonts working, I would like to convert to
mathpazo :-). I bought the oldstyle numeral and small caps
Palatino fonts from Linotype and already succeeded in setting
them up under ConTeXt. Mathpazo however is troublesome: The
attached typescript file causes a seemingly infinite loop, and
uses up TeX's capacity quickly.

Could anyone give me a hint about what I am doing wrong? Are
there problems re-defining typescripts? (The palatino math
typescript is previously defined using pxfonts.)

    Cheers,
    Marco

--
Marco Kuhlmann                             marco.kuhlmann@gmx.net

[-- Attachment #2: mk-palatino.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 2055 bytes --]

% This uses the Linotype (Adobe) Palatino adapations for LaTeX
% by Walter Schmidt: http://home.vr-web.de/was/fonts.html

% Palatino with oldstyle numerals

\starttypescript [serif] [palatino] [ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Palatino]             [pplr9d]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Palatino-Italic]      [pplri9d] [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Palatino-Slanted]     [pplri9d] [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Palatino-Bold]        [pplb9d]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Palatino-BoldItalic]  [pplbi9d] [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Palatino-BoldSlanted] [pplbi9d] [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Palatino-Caps]        [pplrc9d] [encoding=ec]
\stoptypescript

% Mathpazo

\starttypescript [math] [mathpazo,palatino] [ec]
  \definefontsynonym [PalatinoMath-Roman]     [zplmr7t]
  \definefontsynonym [PalatinoMath-Italic]    [zplmr7m]
  \definefontsynonym [PalatinoMath-Symbol]    [zplmr7y]
  \definefontsynonym [PalatinoMath-Extension] [zplmr7v]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [boldmath] [mathpazo,palatino] [ec]
  \definefontsynonym [PalatinoMath-BoldRoman]  [zplmb7t]
  \definefontsynonym [PalatinoMath-BoldItalic] [zplmb7m]
  \definefontsynonym [PalatinoMath-BoldSymbol] [zplmb7y]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [math] [palatino] [name]
  \definefontsynonym [MathRoman]     [PalatinoMath-Roman]
  \definefontsynonym [MathItalic]    [PalatinoMath-Italic]
  \definefontsynonym [MathExtension] [PalatinoMath-Extension]
  \definefontsynonym [MathSymbol]    [PalatinoMath-Symbol]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [boldmath] [palatino] [name]
  \definefontsynonym [MathRomanBold]     [PalatinoMath-BoldRoman]
  \definefontsynonym [MathItalicBold]    [PalatinoMath-BoldItalic]
  \definefontsynonym [MathSymbolBold]    [PalatinoMath-BoldSymbol]
\stoptypescript

% Define the 'palatino' typeface

\definetypeface[palatino][rm][serif]   [palatino][default][encoding=ec]
\definetypeface[palatino][mm][math]    [palatino][default][encoding=ec]
\definetypeface[palatino][mm][boldmath][palatino][default][encoding=ec]

\endinput

* Re: Installing mathpazo
@ 2001-08-06 14:29 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-06 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt ML

At 03:42 PM 8/6/2001 +0200, Marco Kuhlmann wrote:
>     Hello!
>
>Now that I have the pxfonts working, I would like to convert to
>mathpazo :-). I bought the oldstyle numeral and small caps
>Palatino fonts from Linotype and already succeeded in setting
>them up under ConTeXt. Mathpazo however is troublesome: The
>attached typescript file causes a seemingly infinite loop, and
>uses up TeX's capacity quickly.
>
>Could anyone give me a hint about what I am doing wrong? Are
>there problems re-defining typescripts? (The palatino math
>typescript is previously defined using pxfonts.)

first make sure that you put your typescripts in a place where they are
found, either in a local typeface.tex [in the project path] or in a file
that you register with \usetypescriptfile.

the \definetypeface commands then go into your document style, and the
newly created file is taken into account too,

since i get no loop here, i suggest you give the latest beta a try

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Installing mathpazo
@ 2001-08-06 18:25   ` Marco Kuhlmann
From: Marco Kuhlmann @ 2001-08-06 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote (2001-08-06 (16:29)):

> the \definetypeface commands then go into your document style,
> and the newly created file is taken into account too,

I think that was my mistake; I had the \definetypeface commands
in the typescript file. (I do not really know why this is
important, though.)

Great, I now managed to get things running with my mathpazo
setup, and things look nice. I even succeeded in convincing
ConTeXt to do protruding for Roman, Italic, and Bold Italic;
Bold doesn't seem to feel need to obey. But as I understand,
support for the protruding mechanism is still changing, right?

Thanks a lot for your help on that issue, anyway.

    Cheers,
    Marco

--

@ 2001-08-08  8:00     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-08  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt ML

At 08:25 PM 8/6/2001 +0200, Marco Kuhlmann wrote:
>Hans Hagen wrote (2001-08-06 (16:29)):
>
> > the \definetypeface commands then go into your document style,
> > and the newly created file is taken into account too,
>
>I think that was my mistake; I had the \definetypeface commands
>in the typescript file. (I do not really know why this i
>important, though.)

this is because typescripts are not put into tex's memory, but parsed each
time, which means that they need to be stored in a loadable way, i.e. in a file

>Great, I now managed to get things running with my mathpazo
>setup, and things look nice. I even succeeded in convincing
>ConTeXt to do protruding for Roman, Italic, and Bold Italic;
>Bold doesn't seem to feel need to obey. But as I understand,
>support for the protruding mechanism is still changing, right?

protruding should work, also for bold, but you need the latest pdftex [with
the em-based method] and also must load the protruding as early as
possible, since it is connected to the first instantiation of fonts. [nasty
global/efficiency stuff in tex]; also, context disables protruding in
controlled situations, like in page building