* mfonts
@ 2001-08-05  5:48 Richard Hensh
From: Richard Hensh @ 2001-08-05  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm really enjoying the tools that are described in mfonts.pdf but I'm
having some problems with some of the fancier switches.

For example, the following command line works as expected:

>texfont.pl --ven=Larabie --col=zrnic --enc=texnansi --ma --fontroot=F:\loca
ltexmf --in

however, this one yields the error that follows:

>texfont.pl --ven=Larabie --col=zrnic --enc=texnansi --ma --fontroot=F:\loca
ltexmf --in --ap --sla=0.167 zrnic

	       encoding vector : texnansi
           vendor name : larabie
       font collection : zrnic
       texmf font root : f:\localtexmf
       pdftex map file : texnansi-larabie-zrnic.map
           source path : .
      processing files : all in pattern zrnic
         copying files : afm
               copying : zrnic.afm
         copying files : pfb
               copying : zrnic.pfb
          slant factor : 0.167
    processing aborted : unknown tfm file zrnic

Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong?

BTW, what is the proper encoding file to use?

thanks
ricky

* Re: mfonts
@ 2001-08-06  8:03 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-06  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 01:48 AM 8/5/2001 -0400, Richard Hensh wrote:

>BTW, what is the proper encoding file to use?

This is a difficult question. One way to decide is to generate texnansi and
ec, and process the tex test files that are generated. If the glyphs that
you need are there it's okay, but sometimes fonts miss a couple of glyphs.
I noticed for instance funny Euro substitutions in place of ligatures in
all cap fonts (sun).

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* RE: mfonts
@ 2001-08-07 12:09 ` Richard Hensh
From: Richard Hensh @ 2001-08-07 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I downloaded the latest betas and I am now able to generate and use the
necessary font files. One curious note, the only thing that fails is the
generation of the virtual font files. This is a MikTeX installation (but I
have installed the fptex distribution since texfont.pl seems to require the
tools mktexlsr and Kpathsea). The command line and subsequent messages are
shown below.

>texfont --fontroot=F:/localtexmf --ven=FontsThings --col=hand --ma --in

 TeXFont 1.2 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 2000-2001 (BETA)

       encoding vector : texnansi
           vendor name : fontsthings
           source path : .
       font collection : hand
       texmf font root : f:/localtexmf
       pdftex map file : texnansi-fontsthings-hand.map
           source path : .
      processing files : all on afm path
         copying files : afm
               copying : hand.afm
         copying files : pfb
               copying : hand.pfb
        generating tfm : texnansi-raw-hand (from hand)
         generating vf : texnansi-hand (from texnansi-raw-hand)
texnansi-raw-hand: No such file or directory
       font identifier : PPHandwritingNormal

            generating : ls-r databases

mktexlsr:  VARTEXFONTS is not defined.  Defaulting to
`J:\Storage\updates\TeX\Ty
pe\install'.
mktexlsr: Updating F:/localtexmf/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Done.

BTW, some font names seem to contain -raw- as part of their name but the tex
file that shows proper usage suggests the wrong name, e.g. the texfont
command generated the following suggestions in
texnansi-fontsthings-hand.tex:

\definefontsynonym[PPHandwritingNormal][texnansi-hand][encoding=texnansi]

instead of

\definefontsynonym[PPHandwritingNormal][texnansi-raw-hand][encoding=texnansi
]

It's easy enough to fix by hand but can this be repaired programmatically?

thanks
ricky

* RE: mfonts
@ 2001-08-08  8:37   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-08  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:09 AM 8/7/2001 -0400, Richard Hensh wrote:

> > >texfont.pl --ven=Larabie --col=zrnic --enc=texnansi --ma
> > --fontroot=F:\loca
> > ltexmf --in --ap --sla=0.167 zrnic
> >
> >              encoding vector : texnansi
> >            vendor name : larabie
> >        font collection : zrnic
> >        texmf font root : f:\localtexmf
> >        pdftex map file : texnansi-larabie-zrnic.map
> >            source path : .
> >       processing files : all in pattern zrnic
> >          copying files : afm
> >                copying : zrnic.afm
> >          copying files : pfb
> >                copying : zrnic.pfb
> >           slant factor : 0.167
> >     processing aborted : unknown tfm file zrnic

can you try to run afm2tfm manually ans see what is reported?

afm2tfm zrnic -T texnansi.enc  etc

it looks like something goes wrong here; also keep in mind that the raw is
not really used, except for virtual purposes, so don't use that one directly

> > Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong?
> >
> > BTW, what is the proper encoding file to use?

i prefer texnansi, but ec also is ok