* Unicodefonts (Type 1)
@ 2001-08-08 17:22 Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2001-08-08 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I found this Type-1 Unicode font
    http://bibliofile.mc.duke.edu/gww/fonts/Unicode.html
which I would like to use with \ConTeXt.

It consists of:
Caslon (serif font): roman, oblique, bold, black, small-caps (but no
bold-oblique)
Monospace (~courier): roman, oblique, bold [and no-Type-1 bold-oblique]
Cupola (~~~Informal): Roman, italic, bold, bold-italic, small caps
Caliban (~helvetica): Roman(?)

How can I use it best? I'd like to use it as complete replacement for CM
for some documents, since has a lot of nice characterts.

---------------------------
They do not contain
     * Any of the CJK characters (ideographs)
     * Asian & Indian alphabets and sylabaries
     * Arabic

The CaslonRoman font contains (other fonts contain fewer):
     * 0000-02a8 Latin & IPA
     * 02b0-0361 diacritics
     * 0370-03f3 greek
     * 0401-04f9 cyrillic
     * 0500-050f proposed cyrillic extensions
     * 0530-0589 armenian
     * 0591-05f4 hebrew
     * 0e01-0e5a thai
     * 1680-169f ogham (celtic runes)
     * 16a0-16df elder fuþark (germanic runes)
     * 1e00-1eff more latin
     * 1f00-1fff more greek
     * 2000-2046 punctuation
     * 2070-208e sub/super scripts
     * 20a0-20af currency
     * 2100-2138 letterlike symbols
     * 2153-2182 number forms
     * 2190-21ea arrows
     * 2200-22f2 mathmatical operators
     * 2300-232f (some) misc. technical
     * 2400-2424 control pictures
     * 2460-24ea (some) enclosed alphanumerics
     * 2500-257f box drawing
     * 2580-2595 block elements
     * 25a0-25ef geometric shapes
     * 2600-266f misc symbols
     * 3041-309e hiragana
     * 30a1-30fe katakana
     * fb00-fb06 (some) alphabetic presentation forms (latin ligatures)
       I have extended this area slightly. I include:
           * fb00 => ff ligature
           * fb01 => fi ligature
           * fb02 => fl ligature
           * fb03 => ffi ligature
           * fb04 => ffl ligature
           * fb05 => long-s t ligature
           * fb06 => short-s t ligature
           * fb07 => ct ligature
           * fb08 => long-s i ligature
           * fb09 => long-s l ligature
           * fb0a => long-s long-s ligature
           * fb0b => long-s long-s i ligature
           * fb0c => long-s long-s l ligature
           * (and long-s short-s ligature is at 00df)
     * fb2a-fb4f (hebrew) alphabetic presentation forms
     * fe50-fe6b small form variants
     * ff01-ffe6 (some) half/full width forms
     * fffd replacement character
---------------------------
--
This above all: To thine own self be true / And it must follow as
the night the day / Thou canst not then be false to any man.

* Re: Unicodefonts (Type 1)
@ 2001-08-09  8:49 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-09  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

At 07:22 PM 8/8/2001 +0200, Tobias Burnus wrote:

>I found this Type-1 Unicode font
>    http://bibliofile.mc.duke.edu/gww/fonts/Unicode.html
>which I would like to use with \ConTeXt.
>
>It consists of:
>Caslon (serif font): roman, oblique, bold, black, small-caps (but no
>bold-oblique)
>Monospace (~courier): roman, oblique, bold [and no-Type-1 bold-oblique]
>Cupola (~~~Informal): Roman, italic, bold, bold-italic, small caps
>Caliban (~helvetica): Roman(?)
>
>How can I use it best? I'd like to use it as complete replacement for CM
>for some documents, since has a lot of nice characterts.

A type one font needs to be split into chunks [this is how for instance
chinese is supported] while a truetype can be used as a whole.

You need to make tfm files for each chunk, as well as enc files [lei wang
is an expert on this, he also made some scripts]. If you can sort this out
we can see if we can make this process easy since there are more unicode
fonts around.

there are two ways to proceed:

(1) create standard (say texnansi,ec) subsets,
(2) use uchar mapping, which means something like:

Eumlaut -> uchar{1}{234}

but then we may loose kerning and so,

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl