* Getting close
@ 2001-08-22 18:09 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2001-08-22 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: pragma, ntg-context

Christian, Hans,

I have built the format metafun.mem and put it in \localtexmf\miktex\mem. I
have write18 enabled in miktex.ini and cont-sys.tex has:

% Enabling run time \METAPOST\ (also enable \write18 in texmf.cnf):

   \runMPgraphicstrue
\runMPTEXgraphicstrue
  \recycleMPslotstrue
\useMETAFUNformattrue

But, no graphic is built when I compile my file. From the log file I spot a
suspicious area:

system(mpost -progname=mpost -mem=metafun
context-matrices-mpgraph)...executed.
figures        : figure context-matrices-mpgraph can not be found

Hans, here is the help file for mpost:

D:\NSFGRANT\LinAlg\Matrices>mpost --help
Usage: MPOST [OPTION...] [COMMAND...]
-alias  Prepend APP to the alias list.
-c-style-errors  Show C/C++ style error messages.
-halt-on-error  Allow only one error.
-help  Show this help screen and exit.
-include-directory  Prepend DIR to the search path.
-initialize  Initialize internal tables.
-job-name=NAME  Set the job name.
-job-time=FILENAME  Set the job time. Take a file's timestamp as the
reference.
-output-directory  Define the location for output files.
-tcx  Process a TCX table.
-terminal=oem  Use DOS codepage for console output.
-tex  Use TEXPROGRAM for text labels.
-trace  Specify trace options.
-translate-file  Same as --tcx
-undump=NAME  Preload a dumped memory file.
-version  Print version info and exit.

Note that there are no switches -progname and -mem. Further, note that this
seems to work at the command line.

D:\NSFGRANT\LinAlg\Matrices>mpost --alias=mpost --undump=metafun
context-matrice
s-mpgraph
(context-matrices-mpgraph.mp [1] )
1 output file written: context-matrices-mpgraph.1
Transcript written on context-matrices-mpgraph.log.

Hans, do you have a workaround? Christian, any thoughts?

* Re: Getting close
@ 2001-08-22 21:44 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-08-22 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

DA> system(mpost -progname=mpost -mem=metafun
DA> context-matrices-mpgraph)...executed.
DA> figures        : figure context-matrices-mpgraph can not be found

DA> Hans, here is the help file for mpost:

DA> D:\NSFGRANT\LinAlg\Matrices>mpost --help
DA> Usage: MPOST [OPTION...] [COMMAND...]
DA> -alias  Prepend APP to the alias list.

[snip]

DA> -undump=NAME  Preload a dumped memory file.

DA> Note that there are no switches -progname and -mem. Further, note that this
DA> seems to work at the command line.

[snip]

DA> Hans, do you have a workaround? Christian, any thoughts?

In your texexec.ini, substitute "-alias" for "-progname" and
"-undump" for "-mem" where it talks about the MetaPost options for
MiKTeX.

Hans, this should be streamlined in the next bugfix release.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Getting close
@ 2001-08-22 23:09   ` David Arnold
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: David Arnold @ 2001-08-22 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context, pragma

Giuseppe,

At 11:44 PM 8/22/01 +0200, you wrote:

>DA> system(mpost -progname=mpost -mem=metafun
>DA> context-matrices-mpgraph)...executed.
>DA> figures        : figure context-matrices-mpgraph can not be found
>
>DA> Hans, here is the help file for mpost:
>
>DA> D:\NSFGRANT\LinAlg\Matrices>mpost --help
>DA> Usage: MPOST [OPTION...] [COMMAND...]
>DA> -alias  Prepend APP to the alias list.
>
>[snip]
>
>DA> -undump=NAME  Preload a dumped memory file.
>
>DA> Note that there are no switches -progname and -mem. Further, note that
this
>DA> seems to work at the command line.
>
>[snip]
>
>DA> Hans, do you have a workaround? Christian, any thoughts?
>
>In your texexec.ini, substitute "-alias" for "-progname" and
>"-undump" for "-mem" where it talks about the MetaPost options for
>MiKTeX.

I have already done that. This error is coming from another source,
probably texexec.pl.
-
David Arnold
College of the Redwoods
Mathematics Department
7351 Tompkins Hill Rd
Eureka, CA 95501
(707) 476-4222 Office
(707) 476-4424 Fax
http://online.redwoods.cc.ca.us/instruct/darnold/

Ordinary Differential Equations Using MATLAB, 2/e
http://www.prenhall.com/books/esm_0130113816.html

* Re[2]: Getting close
@ 2001-08-23  9:07     ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-08-23  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Thursday, August 23, 2001 David Arnold wrote:

>>In your texexec.ini, substitute "-alias" for "-progname" and
>>"-undump" for "-mem" where it talks about the MetaPost options for
>>MiKTeX.

DA> I have already done that. This error is coming from another source,
DA> probably texexec.pl.

I seem to recall there was a bug with hard-wired options. Have a
look at the ConTeXt source files (esp. supp-mps.tex)

Hans, I reported this error times ago. It looks like texexec does
*not* override the hardcoded optionz in supp-mps.tex

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Getting close
@ 2001-08-23 12:26     ` Hervé Rouault
From: Hervé Rouault @ 2001-08-23 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context, pragma

Hi!!

I have exactly the same problem (see problem with metapost). I'm happy that
i'm not alone ;-)

I searched for the string "-progname=mpost" in texmf and the only files that
contains it are :

texexec.ini and supp-mps.tex

in this last file, i tried to delete the line with "-prognam=mpost..."
without any result!

I don't anderstand where this message can come from!!

Hervé

@ 2001-08-23 16:01       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-23 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Giuseppe Bilotta, David Arnold, ntg-context, pragma

At 02:26 PM 8/23/2001 +0200, Hervé Rouault wrote:
>Hi!!
>
>I have exactly the same problem (see problem with metapost). I'm happy that
>i'm not alone ;-)
>
>I searched for the string "-progname=mpost" in texmf and the only files that
>contains it are :
>
>texexec.ini and supp-mps.tex

right, now, you can overload the one in supp-mps.tex in you local
cont-sys.tex, but what is better, you can repair a bug in texexec:

There is a line there saying:

   $TeXShell eq (MikTeX)

which is pretty wrong and should be

   if ($TeXShell =~ /MikTeX/io)

that way, texexec will set the right flag (kind of). Can you try that?

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re[2]: Getting close
@ 2001-08-23 16:06       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-23 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: David Arnold, ntg-context

At 11:07 AM 8/23/2001 +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>Thursday, August 23, 2001 David Arnold wrote:
>
> >>In your texexec.ini, substitute "-alias" for "-progname" and
> >>"-undump" for "-mem" where it talks about the MetaPost options for
> >>MiKTeX.
>
>DA> I have already done that. This error is coming from another source,
>DA> probably texexec.pl.
>
>I seem to recall there was a bug with hard-wired options. Have a
>look at the ConTeXt source files (esp. supp-mps.tex)
>
>Hans, I reported this error times ago. It looks like texexec does
>*not* override the hardcoded optionz in supp-mps.tex

is is supposed to, but as often is the case, i made it buggy [no testing
done since i have no miktex installed]

i wonder why miktex, being build on top of web2c (right?) does not also
support the web2c flags

@ 2001-08-23 16:09   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-23 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: David Arnold, ntg-context

At 11:44 PM 8/22/2001 +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>"-undump" for "-mem" where it talks about the MetaPost options for
>MiKTeX.

should i also set --alias=context for tex runs ?

@ 2001-08-23 16:11     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-23 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Giuseppe Bilotta, ntg-context

At 04:09 PM 8/22/2001 -0700, David Arnold wrote:

>I have already done that. This error is coming from another source,
>probably texexec.pl.

see other mails; you used to handle that in your cont-sys.tex file that you
threw away

btw, watch out: there are now more path's under /tex/context so that there
is less risk for deleting your own stuff

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re[3]: Getting close
@ 2001-08-23 20:48         ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-08-23 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

HH> i wonder why miktex, being build on top of web2c (right?) does not also
HH> support the web2c flags

MiKTeX is not build on Web2C. fpTeX is the Win32 Web2C TeX
version. MiKTeX has been developed from scratch. It doesn't use
the kpathsearch library, it doesn't have the web2c flags ... it
does have features lacking in web2c though (like the
--src-specials and --job-name command lines), and it is
"convergin" towards web2c (IIRC, 2.1 got the kpathsea tools as
well, but I'm not sure. Will know when I get it.)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re[2]: Getting close
@ 2001-08-23 20:49     ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-08-23 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Thursday, August 23, 2001 Hans Hagen wrote:

HH> At 11:44 PM 8/22/2001 +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>>"-undump" for "-mem" where it talks about the MetaPost options for
>>MiKTeX.

HH> should i also set --alias=context for tex runs ?

Would it turn out useful somehow?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Getting close
@ 2001-08-24  3:57         ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2001-08-24  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cs, ntg-context

Hans, et al,

After making the change to texexec.pl suggested below, I am happy to report
that my system is crafting Metapost graphics on the fly, as is evidenced in
these beautiful lines in my log file:

system(mpost --alias=mpost --undump=metafun
context-matrices-mpgraph)...execute
d.

 [MP to PDF context-matrices-mpgraph.1]
(context-matrices-mpgraph.1)

At 06:01 PM 8/23/01 +0200, you wrote:
>At 02:26 PM 8/23/2001 +0200, Hervé Rouault wrote:
>>Hi!!
>>
>>I have exactly the same problem (see problem with metapost). I'm happy that
>>i'm not alone ;-)
>>
>>I searched for the string "-progname=mpost" in texmf and the only files that
>>contains it are :
>>
>>texexec.ini and supp-mps.tex
>
>right, now, you can overload the one in supp-mps.tex in you local
>cont-sys.tex, but what is better, you can repair a bug in texexec:
>
>There is a line there saying:
>
>   $TeXShell eq (MikTeX)
>
>which is pretty wrong and should be
>

>   if ($TeXShell =~ /MikTeX/io)
>
>that way, texexec will set the right flag (kind of). Can you try that?
>
>Hans
>                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
>                       Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>  tel: +31 (0)38 477 53 69 | fax: +31 (0)38 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com

* Re[2]: Getting close
@ 2001-08-24  8:38       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-24  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:49 PM 8/23/2001 +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>HH> should i also set --alias=context for tex runs ?
>
>Would it turn out useful somehow?

it depends on the mem settings associated. What is alias supposed to do?

@ 2001-08-24 14:15         ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-08-24 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Friday, August 24, 2001 Hans Hagen wrote:

HH> At 10:49 PM 8/23/2001 +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>>HH> should i also set --alias=context for tex runs ?
>>
>>Would it turn out useful somehow?

HH> it depends on the mem settings associated. What is alias supposed to do?

"Pretend to be 'app'". Have no idea. What does --prog-name do with
web2c?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* progname explained
@ 2001-08-24 16:13           ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]             ` <5.1. 0.14.1.20010824103737.02618c58@server-1>
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-24 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 04:15 PM 8/24/2001 +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>Friday, August 24, 2001 Hans Hagen wrote:

> >>Would it turn out useful somehow?
>
>HH> it depends on the mem settings associated. What is alias supposed to do?
>
>"Pretend to be 'app'". Have no idea. What does --prog-name do with
>web2c?

rather clever: it permits the program to filter progname specific settings
(paths, mem settings) from the texmf.cnf file; even better would be if it
could operate along two axes, so that one can have format as well as binary
associated settings (i would like to have a context.pdftex.cfg file actually)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: progname explained
       [not found]             ` <5.1. 0.14.1.20010824103737.02618c58@server-1>
       [not found]             ` <5.1. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?0.14.1.200108241?=03737.02618c58@server-1>
@ 2001-08-25  9:20             ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-08-25  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Friday, August 24, 2001 Hans Hagen wrote:

>>"Pretend to be 'app'". Have no idea. What does --prog-name do with
>>web2c?

HH> rather clever: it permits the program to filter progname specific settings
HH> (paths, mem settings) from the texmf.cnf file;

I guess this is what --alias does in MiKTeX as well?

HH> even better would be if it could operate along two axes, so
HH> that one can have format as well as binary associated settings
HH> (i would like to have a context.pdftex.cfg file actually)

You mean, different settings based on wether we're running pdftex,
pdf-e-tex or knuth's tex?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Re[3]: Getting close
@ 2001-08-25 19:16           ` Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2001-08-25 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen, ntg-context

* Giuseppe Bilotta <bourbaki@bigfoot.com> writes:

> kpathsearch library, it doesn't have the web2c flags ... it does
> have features lacking in web2c though (like the --src-specials and

Those options are available to web2c :

d:\popineau>tex --help
Usage: tex [OPTION]... [TEXNAME[.tex]] [COMMANDS]
-c-style-errors          print C/C++ style error messages.
-fmt=FMTNAME             use FMTNAME instead of program name or a %& line
-ini                     be initex, for dumping formats; this is implicitly
                          true if the program name is `initex'
-interaction=STRING      set interaction mode (STRING=batchmode/nonstopmode/
                          scrollmode/errorstopmode)
-kpathsea-debug=NUMBER   set path searching debugging flags according to
                          the bits of NUMBER
[-no]-mktex=FMT          disable/enable mktexFMT generation (FMT=tex/tfm)
-mltex                   enable MLTeX extensions such as \charsubdef
-oem                     Use DOS codepage for console output.
-output-comment=STRING   use STRING for DVI file comment instead of date
-progname=STRING         set program (and fmt) name to STRING
-shell-escape            enable \write18{SHELL COMMAND}
-src-specials            insert source specials into the DVI file
-src-specials=WHERE      insert source specials in certain places of
                         the DVI file. WHERE is a comma-separated value
                         list: cr display hbox math par parend vbox
-translate-file=TCXNAME  use the TCX file TCXNAME
-stack-size=N            set stack_size to N
-help                    display this help and exit
-version                 output version information and exit

> --job-name command lines), and it is "convergin" towards web2c

I could add this one too.

--
Fabrice

* Re[5]: Getting close
@ 2001-08-25 21:51             ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-08-25 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Saturday, August 25, 2001 Fabrice Popineau wrote:

FP> * Giuseppe Bilotta <bourbaki@bigfoot.com> writes:

>> kpathsearch library, it doesn't have the web2c flags ... it does
>> have features lacking in web2c though (like the --src-specials and

FP> Those options are available to web2c

Yup. Guess I'm a bit late ...

>> --job-name command lines), and it is "convergin" towards web2c

FP> I could add this one too.

Looks like it's the only difference now?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Re[3]: Getting close
@ 2001-08-25 21:58             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-25 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Giuseppe Bilotta, ntg-context

At 09:16 PM 8/25/2001 +0200, Fabrice Popineau wrote:

> > --job-name command lines), and it is "convergin" towards web2c
>
>I could add this one too.

interesting, since it would make texexec --result=filename faster

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* more TeXs (was: progname explained)
@ 2001-08-26  8:56               ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2001-08-26  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

>You mean, different settings based on wether we're running pdftex,
>pdf-e-tex or knuth's tex?

Just to remember: There's another TeX, the best for PDF: VTeX.
It's commercial on Win, free for Linux and OS/2 and soon
I-don't-know-what-but-not-free on MacOS Classic and X.

Hans promised some day to Michael Vulis (so he told me) to make
a driver (or what is needed) for VTeX.
I know there's much more that Hans should and will do before,
I just wanted to remember... (Even if I can get no hope that
everything will ever run on MacOS Classic).

--
Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---

* Re: more TeXs -Y&Y?
@ 2001-08-26  9:40                 ` Christof Schardt
From: Christof Schardt @ 2001-08-26  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >You mean, different settings based on wether we're running pdftex,
> >pdf-e-tex or knuth's tex?
>
> Just to remember: There's another TeX, the best for PDF: VTeX.

Can someone tell some words about Y&Y-TeX and ContexT?
(resp. VTeX vs. Y&Y)

I wonder, wether Context will make it obsolete
bying one of those commercial packets, and
- if not - which are teh benefits.

Thanks
Christof

* Re[5]: Getting close
@ 2001-08-26 12:34               ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-08-26 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Saturday, August 25, 2001 Hans Hagen wrote:

HH> At 09:16 PM 8/25/2001 +0200, Fabrice Popineau wrote:

>> > --job-name command lines), and it is "convergin" towards web2c
>>
>>I could add this one too.

HH> interesting, since it would make texexec --result=filename faster

Why don't you set this up for MiKTeX in the mean time?

And then: how would you know if the user is using a recent-enough
fpTeX which provides the --job-name option?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* map file / cfg file
@ 2001-08-26 19:21               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-26 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 11:20 AM 8/25/2001 +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>You mean, different settings based on wether we're running pdftex,
>pdf-e-tex or knuth's tex?

No, currently some settings in the pdftex.cfg file are rather system
dependent, like the map files that you use. Since pdftex defaults to
psfonts.map and ignores later specs of the same font, as well as uses map
file entries for analyzing purposes, i would like to have  away to overload
this.

\pdfcfgfile

would be a nice option. Alternatively it could be a progname related
something,

context.cfg
pdftex.cfg

and alike with the pdftex.cfg being used when no other is found.

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: more TeXs (was: progname explained)
@ 2001-08-27  7:59                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-27  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:56 AM 8/26/2001 +0200, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

>Hans promised some day to Michael Vulis (so he told me) to make
>a driver (or what is needed) for VTeX.
>I know there's much more that Hans should and will do before,
>I just wanted to remember... (Even if I can get no hope that
>everything will ever run on MacOS Classic).

yes, but then i need to install a version of vtex [which means big
downloads] first -)

anyway, if you provide me the specs [the piece of the manual dealing with
specials] i can write you that driver

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* yandytex
@ 2001-08-27  8:26                   ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]                     ` <Pine.SV4.4.32.0108271226480.19232-100000@emerald.bio.dfo.c a>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-27  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 11:38 AM 8/26/2001 +0200, Christof Schardt wrote:

> > >You mean, different settings based on wether we're running pdftex,
> > >pdf-e-tex or knuth's tex?
> >
> > Just to remember: There's another TeX, the best for PDF: VTeX.
>
>Can someone tell some words about Y&Y-TeX and ContexT?
>(resp. VTeX vs. Y&Y)
>
>I wonder, wether Context will make it obsolete
>bying one of those commercial packets, and
>- if not - which are teh benefits.

yandytex is just tex, but with dynamic memory allocation; long ago it
wasthe only big tex along with hugeemtex, but nowadays there is no need for
bying a tex any more since there is web2c and miktex, which are both big
and fast. Furthermore, yandytex does not produce pdf output. the dvi to ps
backend of yandy is one of the best there is and may be worth bying if you
want to produce ps or go from ps to pdf; but i must admit that i always use
pdftex today; also dvipsone does only run on windows and does not support
virtual fonts

vtex is another story, since it is an extended version of tex [although i'm
not sure if it also implements etex]. It has a pdf backend as well as a ps
interpreter on board [think of tight integration between tex and gs]; as a
result, you can do graphics trickery.
In order to use the power of vtex [and not fall back on low level codig]
you need of course macros to handle that.

pdfetex, well, you know that one i suppose, it is a triptest compatible tex
with dvi and pdf backend, and a couple of extras that make live more easy
as well as some extra typographical extensions

context is a macro package, that works on top of any tex, but in orde to
access special features of some tex or backend, a special driver is needed,
and writing one is not that big a deal since there is a high level of
abstraction;

to be honest, i don't know how well context+metapost compares with
latex+vtex but so far i can do what i want; having nice low level trickery
available without decent support from the macro package is not interesting
for me. on the other hand it should not be that hard to interface to vtex,
but i would probably not use the graphic features in there as long as i can
use metapost; some font trickery on the other hand looks interesting [and i
wonder how hard it would be to extend pdftex with it]; another interesting
vtex feature is the html output but i never looked into that

so, unless you need very special features present in vtex, you can stick to
pdfetex+context; in any case, it may be worth looking into  some of the
yandy [lucida,mathtimes] and.or vtex [times,helvetica,informal,...] fonts

@ 2001-08-27  8:30                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-27  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 02:34 PM 8/26/2001 +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>Saturday, August 25, 2001 Hans Hagen wrote:

> >>I could add this one too.
>
>HH> interesting, since it would make texexec --result=filename faster
>
>Why don't you set this up for MiKTeX in the mean time?

hm, it would be --jobname then, to remain compatible with whatever tex that
does not support it; actually, you can nio say:

--passon="--job-name=bigfoot"

and achieve similar results

>And then: how would you know if the user is using a recent-enough
>fpTeX which provides the --job-name option?

i would not, but since fabrice always kindly puts recent pdftex's in a
separate zip, updating is easy,

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: map file / cfg file
@ 2001-08-27  9:17                 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-08-27  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Sunday, August 26, 2001 Hans Hagen wrote:

HH> \pdfcfgfile

HH> would be a nice option.

HH> Alternatively it could be a progname related something,

HH> context.cfg
HH> pdftex.cfg

HH> and alike with the pdftex.cfg being used when no other is found.

Did you ask Than about it?

* Re: yandytex
@ 2001-08-27 15:50                     ` George N. White III
       [not found]                     ` <Pine.SV4.4.32.0108271226480.19232-100000@emerald.bio.dfo.c a>
From: George N. White III @ 2001-08-27 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Christof Schardt, ntg-context

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Hans Hagen wrote:

> yandytex is just tex, but with dynamic memory allocation; long ago it
> wasthe only big tex along with hugeemtex, but nowadays there is no need for
> bying a tex any more since there is web2c and miktex, which are both big
> and fast. Furthermore, yandytex does not produce pdf output. the dvi to ps
> backend of yandy is one of the best there is and may be worth bying if you
> want to produce ps or go from ps to pdf; but i must admit that i always use
> pdftex today; also dvipsone does only run on windows and does not support
> virtual fonts

Dvipsone is excellent and works well with Adobe Acrobat. Y&Y's dvi viewer
is also excellent.  You can cut and paste from the viewer into other
applications and you get fully scalable WMF using the Type 1 fonts (e.g.,
via ATM).  The viewer will highlight glyphs from a particular font (chosen
from a pull-down list of fonts used in a document).  If you want to use
vf's you can use dvicopy, but Y&Y also has tools to manipulate Type 1
fonts. These can be used to do some of the things that would otherwise
require vf's, and the resulting fonts work (via ATM) in other Windows
apps.

> [...]
> so, unless you need very special features present in vtex, you can stick to
> pdfetex+context; in any case, it may be worth looking into  some of the
> yandy [lucida,mathtimes] and.or vtex [times,helvetica,informal,...] fonts

AFAIK, margin kerning is only available in pdftex.

--
George N. White III <gnw3@acm.org> Bedford Institute of Oceanography

* Re: yandytex
       [not found]                     ` <Pine.SV4.4.32.0108271226480.19232-100000@emerald.bio.dfo.c a>
@ 2001-08-27 15:59                       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-27 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Christof Schardt, ntg-context

At 12:50 PM 8/27/2001 -0300, George N. White III wrote:
>On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
> > yandytex is just tex, but with dynamic memory allocation; long ago it
> > wasthe only big tex along with hugeemtex, but nowadays there is no need for
> > bying a tex any more since there is web2c and miktex, which are both big
> > and fast. Furthermore, yandytex does not produce pdf output. the dvi to ps
> > backend of yandy is one of the best there is and may be worth bying if you
> > want to produce ps or go from ps to pdf; but i must admit that i always use
> > pdftex today; also dvipsone does only run on windows and does not support
> > virtual fonts
>
>Dvipsone is excellent and works well with Adobe Acrobat. Y&Y's dvi viewer

indeed, dvipsone is pretty good,

we used to use dviwindo too, as well as dvipsone with acrobat, although
previous versions of pdfmarks had limitations; i did quite some development
on interactive dcs using dviwindo; interestingly it took a while before
dviwindo/acrobat both had page/named dest which is one reason why context
supports both.

>is also excellent.  You can cut and paste from the viewer into other
>applications and you get fully scalable WMF using the Type 1 fonts (e.g.,
>via ATM).  The viewer will highlight glyphs from a particular font (chosen
>from a pull-down list of fonts used in a document).  If you want to use
>vf's you can use dvicopy, but Y&Y also has tools to manipulate Type 1
>fonts. These can be used to do some of the things that would otherwise
>require vf's, and the resulting fonts work (via ATM) in other Windows
>apps.

right, but somehow i feel uncomfortable with manipulating the pfb and
keeping the name unchanged; this is ok for english, but on systems meant
for euopean languages myltiple encidings may be in effect

> > [...]
> > so, unless you need very special features present in vtex, you can stick to
> > pdfetex+context; in any case, it may be worth looking into  some of the
> > yandy [lucida,mathtimes] and.or vtex [times,helvetica,informal,...] fonts
>
>AFAIK, margin kerning is only available in pdftex.

as well as hz optimization

[there are a couple of more, like position tracking but this can be handled
in dvi too, but less comfortable]

@ 2001-08-27 16:33                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-27 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 11:17 AM 8/27/2001 +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>Sunday, August 26, 2001 Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>HH> \pdfcfgfile
>
>HH> would be a nice option.
>
>HH> Alternatively it could be a progname related something,
>
>HH> context.cfg
>HH> pdftex.cfg
>
>HH> and alike with the pdftex.cfg being used when no other is found.
>
>Did you ask Than about it?

Not yet, but we discussed map issues and some more font related things; he
will look into it when he's back in vietnam