* Not all the way back
@ 2001-08-24  4:12 David Arnold
       [not found] ` <200108241259.FAA14176@smtpout.mac.com>
From: David Arnold @ 2001-08-24  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hans, et al,

I am not all the way back. That is, the current beta installation of
Context is not yet fully backward compatible. I've attached a small zip
file of a document I prepared last fall with a previous version of Miktex
and Context.

After unzipping to a temp directory, type make.bat in the directory to run
the compile.

Note that I am not getting a table of contents as I once did.

Other than this, I'm looking pretty good. What could change in Context
between now and last fall that would affect the production of my former
table of contents?

BTW, everyone is free to use these files in anyway that they wish: Study
the style, add to the doc for their own classes, etc. I don't mind. Enjoy.

[-- Attachment #2: context-matrices.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 16163 bytes --]

* Re: Not all the way back
@ 2001-08-24  8:32 ` Olya Briginets
       [not found] ` <200108241259.FAA14176@smtpout.mac.com>
From: Olya Briginets @ 2001-08-24  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello David,

David Arnold wrote:

> I am not all the way back. That is, the current beta installation of
> Context is not yet fully backward compatible. I've attached a small zip
> file of a document I prepared last fall with a previous version of Miktex
> and Context.
>
> After unzipping to a temp directory, type make.bat in the directory to run
> the compile.
>
> Note that I am not getting a table of contents as I once did.
>
> Other than this, I'm looking pretty good. What could change in Context
> between now and last fall that would affect the production of my former
> table of contents?

I compiled your file successfully, except of metapost error message about
  cmykcolors := true ;
statement in mpgraph.mp. (I don't know whose fault it is.)

I got very nice TOC in the screen version, but not in letter version, I guess
this is because you have put \placecontent in frontmatter only in the screen
mode, so I dont know why you had got it last fall (I did not use ConTeXt
then).

> BTW, everyone is free to use these files in anyway that they wish: Study
> the style, add to the doc for their own classes, etc. I don't mind. Enjoy.

I really enjoyed it very much :)

Olya

* Re: Not all the way back
@ 2001-08-24  8:44   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-24  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:32 AM 8/24/2001 +0300, Olya Briginets wrote:

>I compiled your file successfully, except of metapost error message about
>   cmykcolors := true ;
>statement in mpgraph.mp. (I don't know whose fault it is.)

Did you regenerate the metafun format or pur the mp files in the right
place? This flag is rather old so it should work ok with todays context

>I got very nice TOC in the screen version, but not in letter version, I guess
>this is because you have put \placecontent in frontmatter only in the screen
>mode, so I dont know why you had got it last fall (I did not use ConTeXt
>then).

A remark on the file itself:

David uses

  \starttyping

  \stoptyping

so, there is an indent in the file. This works ok since the verbatim
environment is clever enough to pick up the indented \stop tag [nesting
would also work ok]. However, this is not the way to indent a piece of
code, better is to set the margin of the typing environment.

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: ConTeXt example
       [not found] ` <200108241259.FAA14176@smtpout.mac.com>
@ 2001-08-24 15:44   ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2001-08-24 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Arun,

The font is Lucida, which I bought from YandY some time back.

For mathematics, you are really limited in the choice of fonts. Basically,
the way I understand it, you have three choices: Computer Modern,
Mathtimes, and Lucida. When I bought the YandY tex system, one font came
for free, which I chose as Mathtimes (because of a text I was writing).
Later, I purchased the remaining two.

Indeed, Lucdida is a beautiful font, which looks particularly nice in
onscreen documents.

At 08:59 AM 8/24/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I looked at your tutorial, and it looked very nice when I compiled it
>[I'm just a ConTeXt beginner]. However there were a few font artifacts.
>I was wondering if you added any fonts to your base TeX collection.
>
>I don't have MikTex, but the teTeX installation. I really like the font
>you used.
>- Arun
>

>On Friday, August 24, 2001, at 12:12  AM, David Arnold wrote:
>
>> Hans, et al,
>>
>> I am not all the way back. That is, the current beta installation of
>> Context is not yet fully backward compatible. I've attached a small zip
>> file of a document I prepared last fall with a previous version of
>> Miktex
>> and Context.
>>
>> After unzipping to a temp directory, type make.bat in the directory to
>> run
>> the compile.
>>
>> Note that I am not getting a table of contents as I once did.
>>
>> Other than this, I'm looking pretty good. What could change in Context
>> between now and last fall that would affect the production of my former
>> table of contents?
>>
>> BTW, everyone is free to use these files in anyway that they wish: Study
>> the style, add to the doc for their own classes, etc. I don't mind.
>> Enjoy.

* Re: ConTeXt example
@ 2001-08-24 16:16     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-24 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Arun Mangalam, ntg-context

At 08:44 AM 8/24/2001 -0700, David Arnold wrote:
>Arun,
>
>The font is Lucida, which I bought from YandY some time back.
>
>For mathematics, you are really limited in the choice of fonts. Basically,
>the way I understand it, you have three choices: Computer Modern,
>Mathtimes, and Lucida. When I bought the YandY tex system, one font came
>for free, which I chose as Mathtimes (because of a text I was writing).
>Later, I purchased the remaining two.
>
>Indeed, Lucdida is a beautiful font, which looks particularly nice in
>onscreen documents.

If you fetch the tx and px fonts from ctan, and put 'm in the right place
in your tree, you can use palatino as well as times math for free; see
mfonts and fontdemo file for usage and samples.

The palatino looks nice on screen.

There are also some math fonts from vtex (informal, helvetica, baskerville,
times, ...), which i will support too. So in the end there will be some 10
free+yandy+vtex math fonts to play with. Not that bad eh?

@ 2001-08-26  7:24     ` Olya Briginets
From: Olya Briginets @ 2001-08-26  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans,

Hans Hagen wrote:

> >I compiled your file successfully, except of metapost error message about
> >   cmykcolors := true ;
> >statement in mpgraph.mp. (I don't know whose fault it is.)
>
> Did you regenerate the metafun format or pur the mp files in the right
> place? This flag is rather old so it should work ok with todays context

My fault! Surely I forgot to regenerate the metafun format after installing new
system you had sent me. :)

Olya