* Optimizing pdf with Acrobat 5
@ 2001-08-25 19:20 David Arnold
       [not found] ` <3.0.5.32.20010825155930.00874ec0@mail.northcoast.com>
From: David Arnold @ 2001-08-25 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: dpstory

All,

Here's an interesting problem I've just encountered.

In the attached file, after "making" the pdf documents with make.bat, I
want to optimize the resulting pdf files before placing them on our web
site. In Acrobat 4, I would select File->Save As in Acrobat (not Distiller)
and I could click the Settings button to disable printing if I wished, etc.
The resulting file was "optimized" for byte-serving (page at a time) on our
web site.

Well, no longer. First of all, when I do File->Save As on
context-matrices-s.pdf (one of the pdf files that results from running
make.bat), the "Settings" button is greyed and unavailable. So, a little
journey into Acrobat 5's help files reveals:

Optimizing or creating Fast Web View files

You should convert your PDF files to Fast Web View PDF files—that is,
optimize them—
before distributing them.This minimizes file size and facilitates
page-at-a-time
downloading. In most cases, converting your PDF files to Fast Web View PDF
files by
optimizing them reduces their file size significantly.

Fast Web View also restructures a PDF document to prepare for page-at-a-time
downloading (byte-serving) from Web servers.With page-at-a-time
downloading, the
Web server sends only the requested page of information to the user, rather
than the
entire PDF document.This is especially important with large documents,
which can take a
long time to download from a server.

To find out if a PDF document has been converted to Fast Web View:

Choose File > Document Properties > Summary, and look at the Fast Web View
option.

To create a Fast Web View document:

1 Choose Edit > Preferences > General. Select Options in the left panel of
the General
Preferences dialog box. Select Save As Optimizes for Fast Web View (This
option is set by
default.) Click OK.

2 Use the File > Save As command to save your file.

Ok, I do this and save the file context-matrices-s.pdf as
context-matrices-s.pdf. Only difficulty, now none of my hyperlinks work.
Nada. It is no longer a navigable (is this a word?) document.

Yuk!

Any gurus out there that would care to comment?

[-- Attachment #2: context-matrices.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 16163 bytes --]

* Re: Optimizing pdf with Acrobat 5
@ 2001-08-25 21:55 ` Hans Hagen
       [not found] ` <3.0.5.32.20010825155930.00874ec0@mail.northcoast.com>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-25 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context, dpstory

At 12:20 PM 8/25/2001 -0700, David Arnold wrote:

wrong place

>2 Use the File > Save As command to save your file.

using batch processing -> fast webview

works fine here

[

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

@ 2001-08-26 19:11   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-08-26 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 03:59 PM 8/25/2001 -0700, David Arnold wrote:
>Hans,
>
>It would seem to me that you look carefully at this Batch Macro, maybe roll
>your own, and make a recommendation to the Context list.

hm, i never looked into the batch stuff, and would go for the defaults
[next acrobat will probably have a different interface again] and if that
would fail, use acro 4 optimization

>Is Acrobat the only tool you use for optimization? It's the only one I've
>ever used. I don't even know if there is another choice.

i think that one can build a tool on top of the adobe libraries, but that
costs a lot and may not go public;

but, there is also pdfopt in the gs distribution