From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Cc: Giuseppe Bilotta <bourbaki@bigfoot.com>,
	cs@miktex.org, ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Re[2]: New Beta
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 22:27:59 +0200	[thread overview]

At 09:14 AM 8/24/2001 -0700, David Arnold wrote:

>However, this is new to Miktex 2, and traditionally I have always followed
>the following steps:
>
>1. Download and extract the new Context beta from Pragma.
>2. Set environment variables in texexec.rme and rename to texexec.ini.
>3. Rename cont-sys.rme to cont-sys.tex.
>
>Actually, in 2 and 3, I usually just adjust my old texexec.ini and
>cont-sys.tex.

i think that this is not needed, unless there is a big change in texexec;
you only need to move the pl files to the right path [unless you have
context/perltk in your path]

the cont-sys.tex file is never part o fthe zip, so you can leave your local
copy untouched [actually, it should be undec /tex/context/usr so that you
can safely delete the base path] Of course it's always a good idea to look
into cont-sys.rme esp now, since some font defaults go there, but in a
while it will stabelize

>4. Run texexec --verbose to see if setting look good.

ok

>5. Run texexec --make to build the formats. Because the TeXFormatPath is
>set in texexec.ini, the formats are created AND moved into the correct
>place in my /localtexmf/miktex/fmt.

>6. Then I run
>
>texexec --make --alone metafun

no --alone needed there since fmtutil does not support mem's at all

>This builds metafun.mem. Unfortunately, there is no environment variable I
>have found yet in texexec.ini that will move this automatically to the
>correct spot in my miktex distribution, so I must manually move metafun.mem
>to \localtexmf\miktex\mem.

hm. there are three ways to set the path: automatically (kpsewhich),
manually (env var) or in the ini file and i now see that the last one is
not supported for mp. I've added it and let it default to TeXFormatPath so
you don't need to change / add something.

>7. Then I run
>
>texexec --make --alone --format=mptopdf

texexec --make --alone mptopdf

will do too, i'll also make that one alone by default

>This places mptopdf.efmt in /locatexmf/miktex/fmt. Then I take runperl.exe
>and rename it to mptopdf.exe. These all used to be in
>\miktex\context\perltk, but Christian has moved texexec.exe into the
>\miktex\miktex\bin directory, which is on the path created when Miktex is
>installed. This is a cool piece of software which allows me to type
>
>mptopdf filename.1
>
>where filename.1 is Metapost output. The result is the file filename-1.pdf.
>Nice, huh? The command also accepts wildcards, as in
>
>mptopdf filename.? or mptopdf filename.*
>
>Old habits die hard, so I'm not quite sure how I want to setup my new
>Miktex, but I am learning.

never change old habits when they are ok, so let me fix things that are
broken instead -)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl