* one answered
@ 2001-09-04  9:34 Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-09-04  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Of the questions that I sent in the other day, one was answered on the
TEX-NL list, namely the one about how to encircle a character. I post the
answer here in case anyone alse wants to use it sometime:

% ----------------------------------------------
% macro to encircle a character
% use \rond{a} etc.
% \newcommand{\rond}[1] % this macro for LaTeX
\def\rond #1            % this one for plain TeX
{\begingroup{\ooalign{\hfil\raise.07ex\hbox{#1}%
                      \hfil\crcr\mathhexbox20D}}
\endgroup}
% ----------------------------------------------

regards,

Frans

* Re: one answered
@ 2001-09-04 10:29 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-09-04 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:34 AM 9/4/2001 +0200, Frans Goddijn wrote:
>Of the questions that I sent in the other day, one was answered on the
>TEX-NL list, namely the one about how to encircle a character. I post the
>answer here in case anyone alse wants to use it sometime:
>
>% ----------------------------------------------
>% macro to encircle a character
>% use \rond{a} etc.
>% \newcommand{\rond}[1] % this macro for LaTeX
>\def\rond #1            % this one for plain TeX
>{\begingroup{\ooalign{\hfil\raise.07ex\hbox{#1}%
>                       \hfil\crcr\mathhexbox20D}}
>\endgroup}
>% ----------------------------------------------

actually, \omcirkeld has been part of context for years already -)

For MP lovers, i add an alternative:

\startreusableMPgraphic{omcirkeld}
   draw fullcircle xyscaled (OverlayWidth,OverlayHeight)
     withpen pencircle scaled OverlayLineWidth
     withcolor OverlayLineColor ;
\stopreusableMPgraphic

\defineoverlay[omcirkeld][\reuseMPgraphic{omcirkeld}]

\defineframedtext
   [omcirkeld]
   [frame=off,
    background=omcirkeld,
    width=fit,
    offset=1ex]

\setupcolors[state=start]

\omcirkeld [framecolor=green] {Frans}

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: one answered
@ 2001-09-04 11:17   ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-09-04 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks!

The standard \omcirkeld has the same effect as the macro out of the TeXbook,
i.e. a small circle hanging onto the big leg of the P which it fails to
encircle ;=}}

The MPost solution does fit but it appears not as a circle but as a square
box spanning all textwidth.

Is there a missing detail in that MP definition?

Regards, and I'm happy with the speed of help coming in!

Frans

@ 2001-09-04 12:38     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-09-04 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 01:17 PM 9/4/2001 +0200, Frans Goddijn wrote:

Ah, you use the dutch interface so you get a normal framed text:

> > \defineframedtext
> >    [omcirkeld]
> >    [frame=off,
> >     background=omcirkeld,
> >     width=fit,
> >     offset=1ex]
> >
> > \setupcolors[state=start]
> >
> > \omcirkeld [framecolor=green] {Frans}

\unprotected \defineframedtext
   [omcirkeld]
   [\c!kader=\v!uit,
    \c!achtergrond=omcirkeld,
    \c!breedte=\v!passend,
    \c!offset=1ex]

will probably solve your problem;

Hans

@ 2001-09-04 20:47       ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-09-04 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the continued input!

I was on the road this afternoon and although I read your message on my Palm
I couldn't test it out as soon as I wanted ;=}}

So I tried it before going to sleep now. First I got a square named "dummy"
and a filedescription of "File: jbwpst-mpgraph.1" in it and "unknown"
written below that, but after I ran "texexec --make --alone metafun" the
necessary metafun.mem file was created in the current directory and the file
ran o.k.

But now, the circle around the P is an ellipsis, and if I zoom in on it in
the Acrobat reader, the line is not as thick all the time (it's suddenly
thinner on the right side and on top).

Is there a way to make it a circle?

> \unprotected \defineframedtext
>    [omcirkeld]
>    [\c!kader=\v!uit,
>     \c!achtergrond=omcirkeld,
>     \c!breedte=\v!passend,
>     \c!offset=1ex]
>
> will probably solve your problem;

It did and it introduced me to new and equally stimulating problems ;=}}

Groet,

Frans

* Re: one answered
@ 2001-09-05  5:12         ` Johannes Huesing
From: Johannes Huesing @ 2001-09-05  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 10:47:47PM +0200, Frans Goddijn wrote:

> Is there a way to make it a circle?
>
> > \unprotected \defineframedtext
> >    [omcirkeld]
> >    [\c!kader=\v!uit,
> >     \c!achtergrond=omcirkeld,
> >     \c!breedte=\v!passend,
         \c!hoogte=\v!passend,  % just a hunch, untested
> >     \c!offset=1ex]

Greetings

Johannes

--
Johannes Hüsing | Domain: Adresse im Internet. Besteht aus einem
hannes@ruhrau.de| technischen Teil (http://www.), einem Namen
                | (erwin_meier) und einer Endung  (zum Beispiel
                | .de für Deutschland) [J. Albrecht, "Zeit" 12/2001]

* Re: one answered
@ 2001-09-05  7:13         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-09-05  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:47 PM 9/4/2001 +0200, Frans Goddijn wrote:
>Thanks for the continued input!
>
>I was on the road this afternoon and although I read your message on my Palm
>I couldn't test it out as soon as I wanted ;=}}
>
>So I tried it before going to sleep now. First I got a square named "dummy"
>and a filedescription of "File: jbwpst-mpgraph.1" in it and "unknown"
>written below that, but after I ran "texexec --make --alone metafun" the
>necessary metafun.mem file was created in the current directory and the file
>ran o.k.
>
>But now, the circle around the P is an ellipsis, and if I zoom in on it in
>the Acrobat reader, the line is not as thick all the time (it's suddenly
>thinner on the right side and on top).
>
>Is there a way to make it a circle?

sure, just change the xyscaled(.a.,.b.) to xscaled (.a.) and you got one,

Hans

@ 2001-09-05  8:58           ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-09-05  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

These circles are really intriguing...

> >Is there a way to make it a circle?
>
> sure, just change the xyscaled(.a.,.b.) to xscaled (.a.) and you got one,

I did not have "xyscaled(.a.,.b.)" but instead I had
"xyscaled (OverlayWidth,OverlayHeight)" and when I
replace that with "xscaled (.a.)" I get this:

"! transform components aren't all known"

My present definition is

\startreusableMPgraphic{omcirkeld}
   draw fullcircle xscaled(.a.)

@ 2001-09-05 10:36             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-09-05 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:58 AM 9/5/2001 +0200, Frans Goddijn wrote:
>These circles are really intriguing...
>
> > >Is there a way to make it a circle?
> >
> > sure, just change the xyscaled(.a.,.b.) to xscaled (.a.) and you got one,
>
>I did not have "xyscaled(.a.,.b.)" but instead I had
>"xyscaled (OverlayWidth,OverlayHeight)" and when I
>replace that with "xscaled (.a.)" I get this:

sorry, i assumed that you could eplace .a. .b. by what was there -) so, it's:

xscaled OverlayWidth

Hans

@ 2001-09-05 19:02               ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-09-05 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks! The circle is perfect now.

There was still a chip off the line thickness on the right
and on the top, but when I chenged the pointsize of the
encircled character from 24pt to 20 pt, this was solved so
apparantly the size of the character can interfere with the
circle sometimes.

Now, I have one next question... since the character, a
capital P, is visually off center (namely a little too far
up and a little too far left) i would like to know how to
mup the P a few points to the right and to the bottom of the
perfect circle...

Any clues?

Thanks again,

Frans

frans@goddijn.com
www.goddijn.com

* Re: one answered
@ 2001-09-06  6:48                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-09-06  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 09:02 PM 9/5/2001 +0200, you wrote:
>Thanks! The circle is perfect now.
>
>There was still a chip off the line thickness on the right
>and on the top, but when I chenged the pointsize of the
>encircled character from 24pt to 20 pt, this was solved so
>apparantly the size of the character can interfere with the
>circle sometimes.
>
>Now, I have one next question... since the character, a
>capital P, is visually off center (namely a little too far
>up and a little too far left) i would like to know how to
>mup the P a few points to the right and to the bottom of the
>perfect circle...
>
>Any clues?

first of all, for inline usage, you should use \inframed (\inlijnd)

Placing the circle off center is a bit tricky:

add the lines:

path b ; b := boundingbox currentpicture ;
currentpicture := currentpicture shifted (-3pt,-3pt) ;
setbounds currentpicture to b ;

to the end of the graphic.

Hans

@ 2001-09-07 15:23       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-09-07 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 01:11 PM 9/7/2001 +0200, Frans Goddijn wrote:

> > >Now I wonder, should I make the c!voorgrond something
>like c!achtergrond
> > >(which didn't work when I tried of course ;=}}}
> >
> > hm, what do you want to achieve here?
>
>I was thinking: if "something" overlaps the circle, I'll put
>it on the foreground so it overlaps other bodies. The way
>one can move transparent layers of text and graphics to the
>foreground or stepwise to the background in mouseclick-DTP
>software. But the above solution is great as it is

background={foreground,nameofgraphic}

will do that for you

Hans

@ 2001-09-07 11:11     ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-09-07 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Hans,

This works exactly as intended! I now have a "clone" of the
original letterhead which I can adapt with current address,
bank information et cetera but the logo, the encircled P is
there.

On the laptop, the call to the original palatino font worked
but apparently on my other system, the pplr8r font is not
fully known, as there, the PDF file is created but it makes
Acrobat crash. Therefore, I'm just using the Times capital P
which is somewhat different but who cares, we've all done
our best on this one ;=}} When I'm up to it Í'll try to find
out how I can get an identical palatino on both machines.

Thanks again!

> >Now I wonder, should I make the c!voorgrond something
like c!achtergrond
> >(which didn't work when I tried of course ;=}}}
>
> hm, what do you want to achieve here?

I was thinking: if "something" overlaps the circle, I'll put
it on the foreground so it overlaps other bodies. The way
one can move transparent layers of text and graphics to the
foreground or stepwise to the background in mouseclick-DTP
software. But the above solution is great as it is.

> with regards to the macro: you should set the font outsite
the framed, so
> that it will adapt itself to the font characteristics.
Also, \font is not
> needed:
>
> you probably want to use the serif, so
>
> \def\FransP
>    {\midaligned{\definedfont[Whow][PFont sa
1]\omcirkeld....}

> Instead of PFont you can use a name but indirectness makes
this macro
> useable in other docs with other fonts:
>
>     \definefontsynonym[PFont][Serif]  % or [PFont]
> [oneoffransoldstylefonts] or whatever

I'll have to study these notes later, because I don't
understand what I should copy or replace in my situation.

'till later!

Frans

* Re: one answered
@ 2001-09-07  7:11   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-09-07  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:35 PM 9/6/2001 +0200, Frans Goddijn wrote:

>%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>\startreusableMPgraphic{omcirkeld}
>   draw fullcircle xyscaled (OverlayWidth)
>      withpen pencircle scaled OverlayLineWidth
>      withcolor OverlayLineColor ;
>  path b ; b := boundingbox currentpicture ;
>  currentpicture := currentpicture shifted (-1pt,+3pt) ;
>  setbounds currentpicture to b ;
>\stopreusableMPgraphic
>%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>\defineoverlay[omcirkeld][\reuseMPgraphic{omcirkeld}]
>%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\startreusableMPgraphic{omcirkeld}
   draw fullcircle xyscaled (OverlayWidth)
      withpen pencircle scaled OverlayLineWidth
      withcolor OverlayLineColor ;
  path b ; b := boundingbox currentpicture ;
  currentpicture := currentpicture shifted (-.05*EmWidth,0*ExHeight) ;
  setbounds currentpicture to b enlarged 3pt ;
\stopreusableMPgraphic

You can prevent the clipping by enlarging the boundingbox a bit; for
illustrative purposes, you can add an extra line:

draw boundingbox currentpicture withcolor red ;

to see what this box is

since backgrounds are centered a larger boundingbox does not hurt

>Now I wonder, should I make the c!voorgrond something like c!achtergrond
>(which didn't work when I tried of course ;=}}}

hm, what do you want to achieve here? the foreground can be accessed, for
special purposes, like in

background={graphic-1,graphic-2,foreground,graphic-3}

there is also foregroundcolor, which cna be used for a 'non interefering'
coloring of content

with regards to the macro: you should set the font outsite the framed, so
that it will adapt itself to the font characteristics. Also, \font is not
needed:

you probably want to use the serif, so

\def\FransP
   {\midaligned{\definedfont[Whow][PFont sa 1]\omcirkeld....}

Instead of PFont you can use a name but indirectness makes this macro
useable in other docs with other fonts:

    \definefontsynonym[PFont][Serif]  % or [PFont]
[oneoffransoldstylefonts] or whatever

etc etc etc

hans

       [not found] <003201c13710$891f5160$cf29a33e@arnhem.chello.nl>
@ 2001-09-06 20:35 ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-09-06 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

This stuff is really powerful, and educative in that there's always a new
riddle around the corner.

> first of all, for inline usage, you should
> use \inframed (\inlijnd)

Sorry, I don't understand your remark here. I looked up \inlijnd in the
manual but \inlijnd does nopt seem to be involved here:

this is the MP command at present, giving me the circle around the P (but
the top and left side of the circle are cut off, as of something white is
overlapping it there. This maybe the white of the box around the P... just a
guess.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\startreusableMPgraphic{omcirkeld}
  draw fullcircle xyscaled (OverlayWidth)
     withpen pencircle scaled OverlayLineWidth
     withcolor OverlayLineColor ;
 path b ; b := boundingbox currentpicture ;
 currentpicture := currentpicture shifted (-1pt,+3pt) ;
 setbounds currentpicture to b ;
\stopreusableMPgraphic
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\defineoverlay[omcirkeld][\reuseMPgraphic{omcirkeld}]
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Now I wonder, should I make the c!voorgrond something like c!achtergrond
(which didn't work when I tried of course ;=}}}

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\unprotected \defineframedtext
   [omcirkeld]
   [\c!kader=\v!uit,
    \c!voorgrond=omcirkeld,
    \c!breedte=\v!passend,
    \c!offset=1ex]
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\setupcolors[state=start]
% usage: \omcirkeld [framecolor=green] {Frans}

\def\stkoplogo%
   {\vbox{%
           \font\stpee=pplr8r at 22pt
      \regelmidden{\omcirkeld{\stpee P}}