* Quotation Environment Yuckiness
@ 2001-10-11  2:14 Adam Warner
From: Adam Warner @ 2001-10-11  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Try out this source for the quotation of an external text that has
bullet points:

\starttext

\startquotation
\startitemize
\item Line 1
\item Line 2
\stopitemize
\stopquotation

\stoptext

The output is bad and looks like this:

   "

   o  Line 1

   o  Line 2
"

I suggest it should look like this:

   "o Line 1

    o Line 2"

There would be two ways I could overcome this:

(1) Stop using quotation marks in all quotations. Is there a
\startquotation[?] switch to turn them off? Or is there a separate
command that right and left indents without quotation marks? [if not I'm
sure I could define one]

(2) Stop itemize starting and finishing with new lines. There are a lot
of switches. I've tried [packed,joinedup] without success.

Thanks,
Adam

* Re: Quotation Environment Yuckiness
@ 2001-10-11  7:37 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-10-11  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 03:14 PM 10/11/2001 +1300, Adam Warner wrote:

>Try out this source for the quotation of an external text that has
>bullet points:

[how about \startnarrower \switchtobodyfont[small] .... \stopnarrower]

>\starttext
>
>\startquotation
>\startitemize
>\item Line 1
>\item Line 2
>\stopitemize
>\stopquotation
>
>\stoptext
>

>The output is bad and looks like this:
>
>    "
>
>    o  Line 1
>
>    o  Line 2
>"

this is because start-stop quotation adds blanks

>I suggest it should look like this:
>
>    "o Line 1
>
>     o Line 2"
>

>There would be two ways I could overcome this:
>
>(1) Stop using quotation marks in all quotations. Is there a
>\startquotation[?] switch to turn them off? Or is there a separate
>command that right and left indents without quotation marks? [if not I'm
>sure I could define one]
>
>(2) Stop itemize starting and finishing with new lines. There are a lot
>of switches. I've tried [packed,joinedup] without success.

\starttext

% this is the dangerous way, since grouping may be screwed up

\setupquote[before=,after=]

\startitemize
\item \startquotation Line 1
\item Line 2\stopquotation
\stopitemize

% for this you need the patch below

\startitemize
\item \leftquotation Line 1
\item Line 2\rightquotation
\stopitemize

\startitemize
\item \leftquotationmark Line 1
\item Line 2\rightquotationmark
\stopitemize

\stoptext

================ patch => cont-new.tex after \unprotect ===================

\def\leftquotation {\getvalue{\??la\currentlanguage\c!leftquotation }}
\def\rightquotation{\getvalue{\??la\currentlanguage\c!rightquotation}}

\def\leftquote     {\getvalue{\??la\currentlanguage\c!leftquote }}
\def\rightquote    {\getvalue{\??la\currentlanguage\c!rightquote}}

\def\leftquotationmark%
   {\setbox\scratchbox=\hbox{\leftquotation}%
    \doif{\@@ciplaats}{\v!marge}{\hskip-\wd\scratchbox}%
    \box\scratchbox}

\def\rightquotationmark%
   {\hsmash{\rightquotation}}

\stelciterenin
   [\c!plaats=\v!marge,
    \c!letter=\v!normaal,
    \c!kleur=,
    \c!voor=\startsmaller,
    \c!na=\stopsmaller]

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Quotation Environment Yuckiness
@ 2001-10-11  8:55   ` Adam Warner
From: Adam Warner @ 2001-10-11  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Thu, 2001-10-11 at 20:37, Hans Hagen wrote:

Thanks Hans, all your ideas work. The output is:

> % this is the dangerous way, since grouping may be screwed up
>
> \setupquote[before=,after=]
>
> \startitemize
> \item \startquotation Line 1
> \item Line 2\stopquotation
> \stopitemize

o "Line 1

o  Line 2"

> % for this you need the patch below
>
> \startitemize
> \item \leftquotation Line 1
> \item Line 2\rightquotation
> \stopitemize

o  "Line 1
   ^note the " within the paragraph here
o  Line 2"

> \startitemize
> \item \leftquotationmark Line 1
> \item Line 2\rightquotationmark
> \stopitemize

o "Line 1

o  Line 2"

Thanks again. Now I really don't want to be picky but don't you think
just as a matter of style for some time in the future that the beginning
speech mark should start outside the bullet point? After all it is
supposed to be enclosing the quoted section.

I can imagine how frustrating it is trying to deal with something as
"simple" as a speech mark :-)

Regards,

@ 2001-10-11 10:27     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-10-11 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi,

>Thanks again. Now I really don't want to be picky but don't you think
>just as a matter of style for some time in the future that the beginning
>speech mark should start outside the bullet point? After all it is
>supposed to be enclosing the quoted section.
>
>I can imagine how frustrating it is trying to deal with something as
>"simple" as a speech mark :-)

maybe thi shelps:

\startitemize
\sym{\leftquotationmark\symbol[1]} Line 1