* Re: Accents too high
@ 2001-11-05 13:45   ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-11-05 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

you did create a new format file? I'm not sure you have to but I suppose so.

> actually, it does not solve any problem

groet, Frans

* Re: Accents too high
@ 2001-11-05 14:07 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2001-11-05 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans (and others),

> This can go into cont-new.tex:
[...]

> I hope that this solves (all) problems,

actually, it does not solve any problem (at least one that I
notice)

Perhaps my ConTeXt version is too old?

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-14h-released-20010417-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.3.1)
entering extended mode
(./item.tex{/app/unido-inf/sun4_56/tetex/1.0.7/share/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex
.cfg}

ConTeXt  ver: 2001.7.11  fmt: 2001.7.16  int: english  mes: english

Viele Grüße,

  Patrick Gundlach

* Re: Accents too high
@ 2001-11-05 14:17   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-11-05 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 03:07 PM 11/5/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello Hans (and others),
>
> > This can go into cont-new.tex:
>[...]
>
> > I hope that this solves (all) problems,
>
>actually, it does not solve any problem (at least one that I
>notice)
>
>Perhaps my ConTeXt version is too old?

maybe, since this one works with the enco-def definitions.

Hans

PS. I got the password for our new www server so i jhope that i can upload
something new this week. On complicated jobs context is now 30-50% faster
so it'w worth upgrading -)
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* New context version...
@ 2001-11-05 14:46 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2001-11-05 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> >Perhaps my ConTeXt version is too old?
>
> maybe, since this one works with the enco-def definitions.

> PS. I got the password for our new www server so i jhope that i can upload
> something new this week. On complicated jobs context is now 30-50% faster
> so it'w worth upgrading -)

did you switch to nts or why is it faster??? :)

is it the one found on

http://www.ntg.nl/context/context/beta/cont-tmf.zip

???

Viele Grüße,

  Patrick Gundlach

- I TeX, therefore I am -

* Re: Accents too high
@ 2001-11-05 15:26 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2001-11-05 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good afternoon!

> >Perhaps my ConTeXt version is too old?
>
> maybe, since this one works with the enco-def definitions.

no, new version did not help. Same results. Even tried the cont-loc stuff
you sent.

Viele Grüße,

  Patrick Gundlach

- I TeX, therefore I am -

* Re: New context version...
@ 2001-11-05 15:55   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-11-05 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 03:46 PM 11/5/2001 +0100, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>Hi,
>

> > >Perhaps my ConTeXt version is too old?
> >
> > maybe, since this one works with the enco-def definitions.
>
> > PS. I got the password for our new www server so i jhope that i can upload
> > something new this week. On complicated jobs context is now 30-50% faster
> > so it'w worth upgrading -)
>
>did you switch to nts or why is it faster??? :)
>
>is it the one found on
>
>http://www.ntg.nl/context/context/beta/cont-tmf.zip

no, it's my own latest greatest [i now process the 800+ page highly
interactive maps biblio (xml coded) in 90 sec compared to 147 sec begin oct
2001, and the xml heavy mmlprimer in 23 sec compared to 35] interestingly
linux is 10% slower (maybe due to some funny zomby idle process that i
cannot kill).

if only calling mp was faster ... (rather slow under win2k)

Hans

@ 2001-11-05 16:27   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-11-05 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 04:26 PM 11/5/2001 +0100, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>Good afternoon!
>

> > >Perhaps my ConTeXt version is too old?
> >
> > maybe, since this one works with the enco-def definitions.
>
>no, new version did not help. Same results. Even tried the cont-loc stuff
>you sent.

do you mean that the following does not obey the grid?

% output=pdftex

\mainlanguage[de] \setuplayout[grid=yes] \showgrid

\starttext

\input tufte  g"ultig soll in "Ubereinstimmung mit den Regeln
\input tufte  g"ultig soll in "Ubereinstimmung mit den Regeln
\input tufte  g"ultig soll in "Ubereinstimmung mit den Regeln

\stoptext

@ 2001-11-05 17:52     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2001-11-05 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii", Size: 651 bytes --]

Hello again...

> >no, new version did not help. Same results. Even tried the cont-loc
> > stuff you sent.
>
> do you mean that the following does not obey the grid?

the example works fine for me. Maybe I should clear something: I am not
talking about grid (even though it happens with grid switched on). I am
talking about the nested itemizations:

\mainlanguage[de]
\starttext
\startitemize[n]
\item \startitemize[a]
\item "U
\stopitemize
\stopitemize
\stoptext

Just have a look at the 1 and the a. They are not on the same baseline. The
baseline of the 'a' is a bit lower than the baseline of the '1'

--
Viele Grüße,

    Patrick Gundlach

* Re: New context version...
@ 2001-11-05 19:50     ` David Antos
From: David Antos @ 2001-11-05 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> no, it's my own latest greatest [i now process the 800+ page highly
> interactive maps biblio (xml coded) in 90 sec compared to 147 sec begin oct
> 2001, and the xml heavy mmlprimer in 23 sec compared to 35] interestingly
> linux is 10% slower (maybe due to some funny zomby idle process that i
> cannot kill).

Can you tell me what idle process? (There may be many reasons...)

D.A.

* Re: New context version...
@ 2001-11-06  9:33       ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]         ` <20011106150524.2ac086b4.taco@elvenkind.com>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-11-06  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 08:50 PM 11/5/2001 +0100, David Antos wrote:

>Can you tell me what idle process? (There may be many reasons...)

kapm-idled :

reports 50 % processor time when idle, eats up 10 % runtime when not
docked, but not when docked.

Hans

@ 2001-11-06  9:39       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-11-06  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 06:52 PM 11/5/2001 +0100, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>language[de]
>\starttext
>\startitemize[n]
>\item \startitemize[a]
>\item "U
>\stopitemize
>\stopitemize
>\stoptext

aha, i made an error: (it's \scratchbox that needs to be corrected -):

\def\smashaccent#1%
   {\dontleavehmode
    \bgroup
    \setbox\scratchbox\hbox{#1}%
    \ifdim\ht\scratchbox>\strutheight \ht\scratchbox\strutheight \fi
    \ifdim\dp\scratchbox>\strutdepth  \dp\scratchbox\strutdepth  \fi
    \box\scratchbox
    \egroup}

@ 2001-11-06 14:50             ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-11-06 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for the off-topicality but a propos the idle time activity... I keep
my 3 CPU's nicely overheated running tasks for
http://members.ud.com/projects/cancer/ see also in Dutch
http://www.goddijn.com/cows.htm

> > a kernel thread that executes the HLT
> > instruction if the kernel has nothing
> > better to do. Reason (sort of correct):
> > the chip consumes less power when
> > executing HLT than when doing nothing ;)

> One possibility is to execute HLT, another
> is an infinite loop. HLT is prefered as it
> saves energy and makes CPU cooler

Groet, Frans

* Re: New context version...
       [not found]         ` <20011106150524.2ac086b4.taco@elvenkind.com>
@ 2001-11-06 14:58           ` David Antos
From: David Antos @ 2001-11-06 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 03:05:24PM +0100, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Hi Hans,
>
> This is unrelated. I got curious and did some searching on the web.  The
> kapm-idled is a kernel thread that executes the HLT instruction if the kernel
> has nothing better to do. Reason (sort of correct): the chip consumes less
> power when executing HLT than when doing nothing ;)

Hi, Taco was faster than me and absolutelly correct. The power saving is not
the only reason, each Un*x has a process with the lowest possible priority
which runs when there is nothing to do. Some kind of that behaviour occurs in
all OSs. One possibility is to execute HLT, another is an infinite loop. HLT is

@ 2001-11-06 15:25             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-11-06 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 03:58 PM 11/6/2001 +0100, David Antos wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 03:05:24PM +0100, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> >
> > Hi Hans,
> >
> > This is unrelated. I got curious and did some searching on the web.  The
> > kapm-idled is a kernel thread that executes the HLT instruction if the
> kernel
> > has nothing better to do. Reason (sort of correct): the chip consumes less
> > power when executing HLT than when doing nothing ;)
>
>Hi, Taco was faster than me and absolutelly correct. The power saving is not
>the only reason, each Un*x has a process with the lowest possible priority
>which runs when there is nothing to do. Some kind of that behaviour occurs in
>all OSs. One possibility is to execute HLT, another is an infinite loop.
>HLT is
>prefered as it saves energy and makes CPU cooler.

That's interesting! When I run linux undocked i'll do another test and see
if there's a priority bug involved.

I just ran a couple of tests with docked linux and the maps test file runs
in some 3 seconds less that windows, partly because mpost runs smoother
from within tex under linux [i'm still hoping that fabrice will make this
nice mpost dll that stays in mem]

Hans

@ 2001-11-07  0:25         ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2001-11-07  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

> >Can you tell me what idle process? (There may be many reasons...)
>
> kapm-idled :
>
> reports 50 % processor time when idle, eats up 10 % runtime when not
> docked, but not when docked.

This is ok. Just power saving (when needed), really does nothing, does
not eat any cpu time. Can be disabled by compiling a kernel without
apm support (kapm: kernel apm).

--
Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: Accents too high
@ 2001-11-05 12:38 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-11-05 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi Patrick (and other umlaut users),

This can go into cont-new.tex:

\def\smashaccent#1%
   {\dontleavehmode
    \bgroup
    \setbox\scratchbox\hbox{#1}%
    \ifdim\ht\scratchbox>\strutheight \ht\strutbox\strutheight \fi
    \ifdim\dp\scratchbox>\strutdepth  \dp\strutbox\strutdepth  \fi
    \box\scratchbox
    \egroup}

\def\moveaccent#1#2%
   {\smashaccent
      {\dimen0=\fontdimen5\font
       \dimen2=\dimen0
       \advance\dimen2 -#1%
       \fontdimen5\font\dimen2
       #2\relax
       \fontdimen5\font\dimen0}}

I hope that this solves (all) problems,

hans

@ 2001-11-05 12:16 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-11-05 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 11:33 PM 11/2/2001 +0100, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>Good night,
>
>if i use the file below, everything is just fine...
>----------------------
>%\mainlanguage[de]
>%\setuplayout[grid=yes]
>\showgrid
>\starttext
>\startitemize[n]
>\item first
>\item \startitemize[a]
>\item g"ultig soll in "Ubereinstimmung mit den Regeln
>\item innertwo
>\stopitemize
>\item third
>\stopitemize
>\stoptext
>----------------------
>but as soon as I activate the mainlanguage[de], the a from the second item
>(and the following text) drop down a bit. It seems that the dots on the U
>(Ü) are causing that behaviour. But how do i make the 2. and the a. stay at
>the same height?

looks like i messed up some things when redefining the encoding macros.
I'll sort it out.

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Accents too high
@ 2001-11-02 22:33 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2001-11-02 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

btw: it happens with and without grid=yes in setuplayout.

--
Viele Grüße,

    Patrick Gundlach