* Re: Fatal format file error; I'm stymied
       [not found] ` <Pine.LNX.4.21.0111081643310.7987-100000@x.opf.slu.cz>
@ 2001-11-08 17:57   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-11-08 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 04:46 PM 11/8/2001 +0100, you wrote:
> > At 03:15 PM 11/8/2001 +0100, Lukas Kubin wrote:
> > >i checked the web2c directory and it contains cont-en.efmt elatex.efmt
> > >etex.efmt pdfelatex.efmt and pdfetex.efmt files (among others, of
> > >course). I have no other .efmt files in the tetex tree.
> > >
> > >this what I've done before: I installed the tetex 1.0 binaries (yes it's
> > >old but I'm having problems compiling the new sources on tru64 unix). The
> > >ConTeXt in that version is quite old, so I downloaded and unzipped in the
> > >texmf tree the current beta. Then: texconfig confall, I turned cont-en on
> > >in the texconfig formats, texhash, texexec --make en. Then you suggested
> > >texexec --make --alone en nl , so I tried but no change when try texexec
> > >anyfile.tex
> >
> > did you also move the new texexec (>=2.4) to the right place?
>
>yes, I did.
>now I posted a new mail to the list. I wrote there now I
>started again with whole the installation. I deleted the tetex directory
>and installed it again. Then I tried to run the old context 1.9 and it
>resulted into the same error.
>thank you for your patience with me.

can you run texexec --verbose and check texexec,ini?

What happens if you leave the fmt files on the current path? Do you then
also get an error?

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* fixed - Re: Fatal format file error; I'm stymied
@ 2001-11-13 11:53     ` Lukas Kubin
From: Lukas Kubin @ 2001-11-13 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

I would like to thank anybody who tried to help me with the "I'm
stymied" problem. I found it was caused by the presence of file
cont-en.efmt (created by the format generation script - and format from
the old version of ConTeXt) in the same directory where my testing file
was saved.

Thank you

lukas

--
Lukas Kubin
lukas.kubin@permonik.com

* Re: Fatal format file error; I'm stymied
@ 2007-11-05 12:40   ` Norbert Preining
From: Norbert Preining @ 2007-11-05 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans, hi all!

(Don't see Ernesto's email adr, so to the list, Hans in case please
forward it to him)

On Fr, 02 Nov 2007, Hans Hagen wrote:
> >I recently upgraded my operating system to Ubuntu 7.10 (on an AMD64
> >machine) and got the TeXLive and ConTeXt packages from the Ubuntu
> >repositories.  I tried compiling a very simple document:

Did you upgrade from an older version?

> >Clearly something is not working properly and I suspect the
> >incompatibility between This is pdfTeXk...
> >and
> >   ---! cont-en.fmt was written by pdfetex
> >is the source of all trouble here.

pdfetex with TeXLIve 2007, NO!

Can you tell us the LOCATION of cont-en.fmt? Probably there are left
overs in
	/var/lib/texmf/web2c/*.fmt
Delete all of them, then call dpkg-reconfigure context

Best wishes

Norbert

* Re: Fatal format file error; I'm stymied
@ 2007-11-02 14:11   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-11-02 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Ernesto Schirmacher wrote:
>> After many years as a LaTeX user I'm attempting to switch over to ConTeXt.
>>
>> I recently upgraded my operating system to Ubuntu 7.10 (on an AMD64 machine) and got the TeXLive and ConTeXt packages from the Ubuntu repositories.  I tried compiling a very simple document:
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> Hello this is \ConTeXt.
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> using the command: texexec simple.tex and got the following output on my terminal:
>>
>> TeXExec | processing document 'simple.tex'
>> TeXExec | no ctx file found
>> TeXExec | tex processing method: context
>> TeXExec | TeX run 1
>> TeXExec | writing option file simple.top
>> TeXExec | using randomseed 898
>> TeXExec | tex engine: pdftex
>> TeXExec | tex format: cont-en
>> This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
>> %$-line parsing enabled.
>> (/usr/share/texmf/web2c/natural.tcx)
>> ---! cont-en.fmt was written by pdfetex
>> (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
>> TeXExec | runtime: 0.177424
>>

>> Clearly something is not working properly and I suspect the incompatibility between
>>    This is pdfTeXk...
>> and
>>    ---! cont-en.fmt was written by pdfetex
>> is the source of all trouble here.
>>
>> Could someone please point me in the right direction to resolve this?
>
> pdfetex is obsolete now; there should only be a pdftex binary
>
> since ubunto is based on debian i assume that they use the same
> packages, so i cc to norbert

I can confirm that context works fine on ubuntu 7.10 (amd 64). I
recently installed it on my laptop (fresh install of ubuntu), and
followed the instructions on the wiki, and it worked. So, the ubuntu
repository is ok.

I cannot help with the problem since I am still trying to figure out
the nitty gritty of linux.

Aditya

* Re: Fatal format file error; I'm stymied
@ 2007-11-02  8:17 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-11-02  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2007-11-02  7:26 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-11-02  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ernesto Schirmacher wrote:

> Clearly something is not working properly and I suspect the incompatibility between
>    This is pdfTeXk...
> and
>    ---! cont-en.fmt was written by pdfetex
> is the source of all trouble here.
>
> Could someone please point me in the right direction to resolve this?

It could be that you still have and older cont-en.fmt on your disk
somewhere from a previous tetex or texlive. The separate 'pdfetex'
executable does not exist anymore since release 1.40, so that format
file seems to be a leftover.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Fatal format file error; I'm stymied
@ 2007-11-02  6:55 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-11-02  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/2/07, Ernesto Schirmacher <ernesto_schirmacher@hotmail.com> wrote:
> using the command: texexec simple.tex and got the following output on my >terminal:
hmm,try
texexec --pdf simple.tex

--
luigi

* Fatal format file error; I'm stymied
@ 2007-11-02  2:38 Ernesto Schirmacher
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ernesto Schirmacher @ 2007-11-02  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

[...]

Thanks in advance,

Ernesto

* Re: Fatal format file error; I'm stymied
@ 2001-11-08 17:58   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-11-08 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 04:09 PM 11/8/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>i attached the result to file cont-new.log
>
>One news is I tried to begin from start again. I deleted the old tetex 1.0
>directory and installed it again. Now I made no changes to the context
>version (I haven't replaced the 1.9 version files which are part of the
>tetex 1.0 installation) and the symptoms remain still the same.

you can safely use the new context files with an old tetex. Don;t mix up
old and new context files !

Use the latest texexec.pl and if needed set

$TEXFORMATS=....

@ 2001-11-08 15:41 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2001-11-08 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

> This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-13d-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.1) (format=cont-en 2001.11.8)  8 NOV 2001 15:51

did you really run pdfetex and not cont-en or texexec???

Viele Grüße,

  Patrick Gundlach

* Re: Fatal format file error; I'm stymied
@ 2001-11-08 15:09 ` Lukas Kubin
From: Lukas Kubin @ 2001-11-08 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=X-UNKNOWN, Size: 638 bytes --]

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> good,
>
> so what happens if you run
>
> pdfetex
>
> and then type &cont-en  after the prompt **
>
> ???
>

> Viele Grüße,
>
>   Patrick Gundlach

[-- Attachment #2: log --]
[-- Type: TEXT/PLAIN, Size: 2029 bytes --]

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-13d-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.1) (format=cont-en 2001.11.8)  8 NOV 2001 15:51
entering extended mode
**&cont-en
(/usr/users/kopl9612/bin/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems        : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex!
system (E-TEX) : [line 43] \unless
)
system         : cont-old loaded
(/usr/users/kopl9612/bin/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-old.tex
)
system         : cont-fil loaded
(/usr/users/kopl9612/bin/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
)
bodyfont       : 12pt rm is loaded
language       : patterns 2-en-2 2-uk-2 2-de-2 2-fr-2 2-nl-2 loaded
specials       : tex,postscript,rokicki loaded
\openout2 = `cont-new.tui'.

! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [number of strings=100].
<to be read again>
                   \relax
\doreadfile ...\scratchread =\readfilename \relax
                                                  \ifeof \scratchread \immed...

\doutilities ...bfile {#2.\f!outputextension }{}{}
                                                  #5\relax \ifunprotectutili...
<argument> ...ies {float\s!pass }{\jobname }{}{}{}
                                                  \ifx \twopassdata \empty \...

\doifundefined ...{\p!defined }\endcsname \else #2
                                                  \fi
\next1 #1,->\doloadtwopassdata {#1}
                                   \doprocesscommaitem
<*> &cont-en

If you really absolutely need more capacity,
you can ask a wizard to enlarge me.

Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
 98 strings out of 100
 1299 string characters out of 5000
 341187 words of memory out of 1100001
 25439 multiletter control sequences out of 10000+17316
 9049 words of font info for 28 fonts, out of 400000 for 1000
 22 hyphenation exceptions out of 1000
 15i,1n,22p,94b,38s stack positions out of 300i,100n,500p,50000b,4000s
No pages of output.

* Re: Fatal format file error; I'm stymied
@ 2001-11-08 14:56 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2001-11-08 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

@ 2001-11-08 14:48 ` Lukas Kubin
From: Lukas Kubin @ 2001-11-08 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lukas Kubin, ntg-context

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=X-UNKNOWN, Size: 360 bytes --]

it shows the same path (to the web2c directory) the file is in

lukas

--

@ 2001-11-08 14:31 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2001-11-08 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

@ 2001-11-08 14:25 ` Lukas Kubin
From: Lukas Kubin @ 2001-11-08 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=X-UNKNOWN, Size: 952 bytes --]

I have only the file cont-en.efmt in the web2c directory. I have no
cont-en.fmt file in the tetex tree.
Yes, I have write permission in the directory. Also I can delete the
directory and start again, which I did - unsuccesfully.

lukas
--

@ 2001-11-08 14:15 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2001-11-08 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Ok, were getting closer...

@ 2001-11-08 14:01 ` Lukas Kubin
From: Lukas Kubin @ 2001-11-08 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=X-UNKNOWN, Size: 320 bytes --]

@ 2001-11-08 10:39 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2001-11-08 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

so what does

kpsepath fmt

say??

Viele Grüße,

  Patrick Gundlach

* Re: Fatal format file error; I'm stymied
@ 2001-11-08  9:50   ` Lukas Kubin
From: Lukas Kubin @ 2001-11-08  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

I tried

texexec --make --alone en nl

and it finished ok (both formats were generated) but the problem remains
the same.

--
Lukas Kubin
lukas.kubin@permonik.com