* presentations: help needed
@ 2001-11-12 15:05 Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2001-11-12 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I am preparing my first presentation with context, and I have some ideas
which I simply can't get to work. Time is really short now and I like
s-pre-01, so I decided to take this style as a starting point.
My document is structured into four main \Topic parts, each of which is
devided into several \Subject parts.

1. I want the \Topic command to output nothing -- nor its title nor a list
of subjects -- at the place where it is used. But I do want the titles to
appear in the list of topics on the right of the screen.

2. Each topic is highlighted in the list on the right when the first page
of the topic is reached, but not for subsequent pages belonging to the
topic. I would like the current topic to be higlighted for every page.

3. \presentationstep does not have any noticable effect. This is the
command to be used to build a page stepwise, isn't it? Like
bla\par\presentationstep bla? How to do the trick?

Thank you very much for any help with these questions -- especially if they
should have trivial answers (rather likely...).

Eckhart

ps: is there a setup command to change the default text colour including
the colour of captions?

* Re: presentations: help needed
@ 2001-11-12 15:59 ` Berend de Boer
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Berend de Boer @ 2001-11-12 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

e_w_g@t-online.de (Eckhart Guthöhrlein) writes:

> I am preparing my first presentation with context, and I have some
> ideas which I simply can't get to work. Time is really short now and I
> like s-pre-01, so I decided to take this style as a starting point.
> My document is structured into four main \Topic parts, each of which
> is devided into several \Subject parts.

I suggest you take a look at s-pre-01.tex. This probably helps to
decide what to adapt, and what is easy and what is difficult.

> 1. I want the \Topic command to output nothing -- nor its title nor a
> list of subjects -- at the place where it is used. But I do want the
> titles to appear in the list of topics on the right of the screen.

Not easy I think.

> 2. Each topic is highlighted in the list on the right when the first
> page of the topic is reached, but not for subsequent pages belonging
> to the topic. I would like the current topic to be higlighted for
> every page.

A feature I would like to have too :-)

Look at s-pre-00.tex, there are some comments there which might help.

> ps: is there a setup command to change the default text colour
> including the colour of captions?

Again look at s-pre-01.tex which colors are used. Override with:

\definecolor[white][blue]

for example, or hack s-pre-01.tex

--
Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: presentations: help needed
@ 2001-11-12 16:29   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-11-12 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Eckhart Guthöhrlein , ntg-context

At 04:59 PM 11/12/2001 +0100, Berend de Boer wrote:
>e_w_g@t-online.de (Eckhart Guthöhrlein) writes:
>
> > I am preparing my first presentation with context, and I have some
> > ideas which I simply can't get to work. Time is really short now and I
> > like s-pre-01, so I decided to take this style as a starting point.
> > My document is structured into four main \Topic parts, each of which
> > is devided into several \Subject parts.
>
>I suggest you take a look at s-pre-01.tex. This probably helps to
>decide what to adapt, and what is easy and what is difficult.

this week i will upload the new presentation 'showcase/manual' (a couple of
megs)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: presentations: help needed
@ 2001-11-13  8:29   ` Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2001-11-13  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 16:59 12.11.2001 +0100, BdB wrote:
> > 3. \presentationstep does not have any noticable effect. This is the
> > command to be used to build a page stepwise, isn't it? Like
> > bla\par\presentationstep bla? How to do the trick?
>
>Look at s-pre-00.tex, there are some comments there which might help.

Yes, sorry, it was not that difficult. Now I have this file:

\input s-pre-02

\enablepresentationstep
\definereference[Whatever][JS(NextPresentation{\realfolio})]
\definecolor[StepColor][BackgroundColor]

\starttext

    \dorecurse{10}{This is some great text! }

    \presentationstep

    The even greater rest.

    \page

    Hallo

\stoptext

I get a stepwise result now.  Two problems remain, the first one very annoying:

1) The final line before \presentationstep gets cut at the baseline,
resulting into truncated letters g, j etc.
This makes it unusable. In s-pre-00.tex I found
\def\dopresentationstep#1% not ok yet
   {...
       \def\presentationshade%
         {\presentationshield
            [\c!breedte=\tekstbreedte,\c!hoogte=\presentationstepheight]{}}
   ...}
I think the height has to be increased here (by the depth of a \strut)? I
tried it and it worked ok for the text lines, but the shields overlap from
the text into the page area. How to do it?

2) How to bind the Whatever reference to a key, the return key if possible?
Any action that does a nextpage now should do a Whatever instead.
(probably very basic)

> > ps: is there a setup command to change the default text colour
> > including the colour of captions?
>
>Again look at s-pre-01.tex which colors are used. Override with:
>
>\definecolor[white][blue]
>
>for example, or hack s-pre-01.tex

To be precise: I want to change the colour of the glyphs from black to
something, not the colour of the background. I am sure there is a command
for this, but I can't find it...

Eckhart

* Re: presentations: help needed
@ 2001-11-13 12:22   ` Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2001-11-13 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 16:59 12.11.2001 +0100, you wrote:
> > 1. I want the \Topic command to output nothing -- nor its title nor a
> > list of subjects -- at the place where it is used. But I do want the
> > titles to appear in the list of topics on the right of the screen.
>
>Not easy I think.

Yes, until now I have no real success. My best solution now is to set the
head colour for \Topic to the background colour of the text area and
skipping back with after=\vskip... - better to stop here, I already said
too much, but it even works (kind of)...

> > 2. Each topic is highlighted in the list on the right when the first
> > page of the topic is reached, but not for subsequent pages belonging
> > to the topic. I would like the current topic to be higlighted for
> > every page.
>
>A feature I would like to have too :-)

So I guess you tried and didn't succeed. Which means that I am probably
wasting my time if I try it after work tonight.

Eckhart

* Re: presentations: help needed
@ 2001-11-13 12:35     ` Berend de Boer
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Berend de Boer @ 2001-11-13 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

e_w_g@t-online.de (Eckhart Guthöhrlein) writes:

> At 16:59 12.11.2001 +0100, you wrote:
> > > 1. I want the \Topic command to output nothing -- nor its title nor a
> > > list of subjects -- at the place where it is used. But I do want the
> > > titles to appear in the list of topics on the right of the screen.
> >
> >Not easy I think.
>
> Yes, until now I have no real success. My best solution now is to set
> the head colour for \Topic to the background colour of the text area
> and skipping back with after=\vskip... - better to stop here, I
> already said too much, but it even works (kind of)...

This gives me an idea:

Something like:

\setuphead
  [Topic]
  [command=\NoTopic,
   page=no,
   before=\relax,
   after=\relax]

\def\NoTopic#1#2%
        {}

This makes topic not skip to the next page, with \NoTopic I attempt to
do really nothing. There might be some white space though.

--
Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: presentations: help needed
@ 2001-11-13 12:54       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-11-13 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Eckhart Guthöhrlein , ntg-context

At 01:35 PM 11/13/2001 +0100, Berend de Boer wrote:
>e_w_g@t-online.de (Eckhart Guthöhrlein) writes:

> > >Not easy I think.
> >
> > Yes, until now I have no real success. My best solution now is to set
> > the head colour for \Topic to the background colour of the text area
> > and skipping back with after=\vskip... - better to stop here, I
> > already said too much, but it even works (kind of)...
>
>This gives me an idea:
>

>Something like:
>
>\setuphead
>   [Topic]
>   [command=\NoTopic,
>    page=no,
>    before=\relax,
>    after=\relax]
>
>\def\NoTopic#1#2%
>         {}

Take your choice: hidden titles, or extra list entries

\definehead[mytitle][chapter]

\setuphead[mytitle][placehead=no]

\starttext

\placelist[chapter,mytitle]

\chapter{test} test \page
\mytitle{test} test \page
\writetolist[chapter]{}{oeps}
\chapter{test} test \page

\stoptext

@ 2001-11-13 12:57       ` Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2001-11-13 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 13:35 13.11.2001 +0100, Berend de Boer wrote:
>\setuphead
>   [Topic]
>   [command=\NoTopic,
>    page=no,
>    before=\relax,
>    after=\relax]
>
>\def\NoTopic#1#2%
>         {}
>

>This makes topic not skip to the next page, with \NoTopic I attempt to
>do really nothing. There might be some white space though.

I tried this, but it makes the list of topics on the right disappear
completely. Seems the title has to be typeset somehow to get to the list,
and that's why I tried typesetting it invisibly (in the background color).
Alas, thank you!

Eckhart

* Re: presentations: help needed
@ 2001-11-13 15:56         ` Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2001-11-13 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 13:54 13.11.2001 +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:

>\setuphead[mytitle][placehead=no]

This is perfect, so this problem is solved now! I didn't suspect the
placehead key to do exactly what I want, although it is in the list of
parameters in the manual .

Eckhart

* Re: presentations: help needed
@ 2001-11-13 16:01       ` Johannes H?sing
From: Johannes H?sing @ 2001-11-13 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> This gives me an idea:
>

> Something like:
>
> \setuphead
>   [Topic]
>   [command=\NoTopic,
>    page=no,
>    before=\relax,
>    after=\relax]
>
> \def\NoTopic#1#2%
>         {}

I have once defined something like:

\def\pagenull {\gdef\subjpage{\page}}
\setuphead[chapter][before=\page,
                    after=\pagenull,
                    style=bold]
\setuphead[section][before=\subjpage]

This way, a new section starts with a page break, but not if it is the first
of a chapter.

Greetings

Johannes
--
Johannes Hüsing | "Die einzige deutsche Stadt, die an zwei
hannes@ruhrau.de|  Flüssen liegt." Ole v. Beust über Hamburg

* Re: presentations: help needed
@ 2001-11-13 17:34         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-11-13 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 05:01 PM 11/13/2001 +0100, Johannes H?sing wrote

>This way, a new section starts with a page break, but not if it is the first
>of a chapter.

actually this is default behavior and can be controlled by the "continue"
key (so there is page=yes,continue=yes by default for chapters)