* Use supp-pdf.tex for other EPS?
@ 2001-11-14  9:32   ` Christopher Creutzig
From: Christopher Creutzig @ 2001-11-14  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Hans,

 we have a graphics tool which exports simple postscript.  I would
like to modify the output so I can directly embed it into
LaTeX/ConTeXt files for pdf preparation, but I do not understand
enough of supp-pdf.tex for this.  Right now, we are using the
postscript commands

findfont
scalefont
setfont
setlinecap
setlinejoin
translate
scale
setlinewidth
arc          (only used for full circles)
closepath
fill
gsave
grestore
lineto
moveto
newpath
setrgbcolor
stroke
setdash

 Of these, I do not find the font commands, arc in supp-pdf.tex and instead
of setlinewidth, some dtransform command I did not meet before.  I did
find the comments on the latter in the tex file -- is there some way
to use setlinewidth directly or should I change our code to emit the
more verbose form listed in supp-pdf.tex?  arc probably needs to be
replaced by an equivalent curveto command, right?  As for the font
commands, they need to be replaced by fshow, correct?

 We use these commands with floating-point arguments.  Would you
expect any problems with supp-pdf.tex?

--
    +--+
   +--+|
   |+-|+            Christopher Creutzig (ccr@mupad.de)
   +--+                     Tel.: 05251-60-5525

* Re: Use supp-pdf.tex for other EPS?
       [not found] <Christopher-Creutzig-wqsadxpvgss.fsf@bursar.uni-paderborn. de>
@ 2001-11-14 11:42 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-11-14 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:32 AM 11/14/2001 +0100, Christopher Creutzig wrote:

>enough of supp-pdf.tex for this.  Right now, we are using the
>postscript commands
>
>findfont
>scalefont
>setfont
>setlinecap
>setlinejoin
>translate
>scale
>setlinewidth
>arc          (only used for full circles)
>closepath
>fill
>gsave
>grestore
>lineto
>moveto
>newpath
>setrgbcolor
>stroke
>setdash
>
>  Of these, I do not find the font commands, arc in supp-pdf.tex and instead

what is the spec of arc? do you need that one or can you map it; i store
paths in 6 point sets; how is arc used?
I may consider providing a hook for such extensions.

One thing to keep in mind is that supp-pdf catches some special mp things
like pen-stroked paths

do you have an example?

>of setlinewidth, some dtransform command I did not meet before.  I did
>find the comments on the latter in the tex file -- is there some way
>to use setlinewidth directly or should I change our code to emit the

i have no problems with supporting setlinewidth directly

>more verbose form listed in supp-pdf.tex?  arc probably needs to be
>replaced by an equivalent curveto command, right?  As for the font
>commands, they need to be replaced by fshow, correct?

not per se, if i know the syntax and what to expect ... of course the file
should be made known to tex somehow

>  We use these commands with floating-point arguments.  Would you
>expect any problems with supp-pdf.tex?

no, since mp used floating point too; but there are some constraints to the
maximum size and small sizes can get rounding errors although this only
counts in penstrokes.

So, how does such a file look like?

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Use supp-pdf.tex for other EPS?
@ 2001-11-14 14:57   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2001-11-14 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ccr, ntg-context

"Hans Hagen" <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> At 10:32 AM 11/14/2001 +0100, Christopher Creutzig wrote:

> >findfont

<fontname> findfont <font>

> >scalefont

> >setfont

A typical example of these three is:

/Helvetica findfont 12 scalefont setfont

> >setlinewidth

<number> setlinewidth -

> >arc          (only used for full circles)

An example would be:

1 2 10 0 90 arc

this draws a 45 degree arc of the circle with center at 1,2 and radius 10. It starts at point 11,2 and moves 45 degrees CCW, stopping in 1,12. If it is not in the PDF spec, then it might be problematic. Goniometric calculations in TeX are slow.

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: Use supp-pdf.tex for other EPS?
@ 2001-11-14 15:39     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-11-14 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 03:57 PM 11/14/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>"Hans Hagen" <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> > At 10:32 AM 11/14/2001 +0100, Christopher Creutzig wrote:
>
> > >findfont
>
><fontname> findfont <font>
>
> > >scalefont

> > >setfont

>A typical example of these three is:
>
>/Helvetica findfont 12 scalefont setfont

The advantage of fshow over this is that the filename is known. Support for
setfont etc is no problem if there is a way to find out teh fontname. Since
supp-pdf supports specials, such names can be defined with

%%MetaPostSpecial: 5 Helvetica phv n m (with n and m special identifiers)

> > >setlinewidth
>
><number> setlinewidth -
>
> > >arc          (only used for full circles)

>An example would be:
>
>1 2 10 0 90 arc
>
>this draws a 45 degree arc of the circle with center at 1,2 and radius 10.
>It starts at point 11,2 and moves 45 degrees CCW, stopping in 1,12. If it
>is not in the PDF spec, then it might be problematic. Goniometric
>calculations in TeX are slow.

In that case .... curve's -)