* pictures for numbers
@ 2001-11-16  9:55 Andres Loeh
From: Andres Loeh @ 2001-11-16  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am writing a document where I want to give the chapter numbers as roman
numerals, but with each letter replaced by a (hand-drawn) picture (I have
them in .jpg ,.png,.eps).

I wonder what would be the best approach to do it:

(1) make some kind of virtual (or real) font out of the pictures
    (but how?)

(2) write a macro that expands numbers to a sequence of
    \useexternalfigure calls; then define a conversion that
    makes use of that macro

(3) write a macro that transforms the output of \romannumeral
    into a sequence  of \useexternalfigure calls; then define
    a conversion that makes use of that macro

(4) ... ?

I succeeded in writing something like (2), but I would find both (1) and
(3) more elegant. What do you think is the best way to proceed? Am I
missing something completely?

Thanks for your help,
  Andres

--