* pictures for numbers
@ 2001-11-16  9:55 Andres Loeh
From: Andres Loeh @ 2001-11-16  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am writing a document where I want to give the chapter numbers as roman
numerals, but with each letter replaced by a (hand-drawn) picture (I have
them in .jpg ,.png,.eps).

I wonder what would be the best approach to do it:

(1) make some kind of virtual (or real) font out of the pictures
    (but how?)

(2) write a macro that expands numbers to a sequence of
    \useexternalfigure calls; then define a conversion that
    makes use of that macro

(3) write a macro that transforms the output of \romannumeral
    into a sequence  of \useexternalfigure calls; then define
    a conversion that makes use of that macro

(4) ... ?

I succeeded in writing something like (2), but I would find both (1) and
(3) more elegant. What do you think is the best way to proceed? Am I
missing something completely?

Thanks for your help,
  Andres

--

Andres Loeh, Universiteit Utrecht

mailto:andres@cs.uu.nl     mailto:mail@andres-loeh.de
http://www.andres-loeh.de

* Re: pictures for numbers
@ 2001-11-16 10:36 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2001-11-16 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

"Andres Loeh" <andres@cs.uu.nl> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am writing a document where I want to give the chapter numbers as roman
> numerals, but with each letter replaced by a (hand-drawn) picture (I have
> them in .jpg ,.png,.eps).
>
> I wonder what would be the best approach to do it:
>
> (1) make some kind of virtual (or real) font out of the pictures
>     (but how?)

This definately sounds elegant, but it is quite a large amount of work.

> (3) write a macro that transforms the output of \romannumeral
>     into a sequence  of \useexternalfigure calls; then define
>     a conversion that makes use of that macro

This is the next best bet, I think. Here is a macro that does the
key work. You have to change the \message to do what you want:

\def\expandromannumerals#1%
  {\expandafter\expandromannumeral\romannumeral #1\relax}

\def\expandromannumeral#1%
  {\if #1\relax
     \let\next\relax
   \else
     \message{#1}%
     \let\next\expandromannumeral
   \fi
   \next }

\expandromannumerals{19}% call example

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: pictures for numbers
@ 2001-11-16 11:53 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-11-16 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:55 AM 11/16/2001 +0100, Andres Loeh wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am writing a document where I want to give the chapter numbers as roman
>numerals, but with each letter replaced by a (hand-drawn) picture (I have
>them in .jpg ,.png,.eps).
>
>I wonder what would be the best approach to do it:
>
>(1) make some kind of virtual (or real) font out of the pictures
>     (but how?)
>
>(2) write a macro that expands numbers to a sequence of
>     \useexternalfigure calls; then define a conversion that
>     makes use of that macro
>
>(3) write a macro that transforms the output of \romannumeral
>     into a sequence  of \useexternalfigure calls; then define
>     a conversion that makes use of that macro
>
>(4) ... ?
>
>I succeeded in writing something like (2), but I would find both (1) and
>(3) more elegant. What do you think is the best way to proceed? Am I
>missing something completely?

given that you have figures like picture-number you can define a conversion
like:

   \def\HandDrawnRomanNumeral#1{\externalfigure[picture-#1][height=1cm]}

   \defineconversion[handdrawnromannumeral][\HandDrawnRomanNumeral]

but, this is probably not what you want, so better is:

\setuphead[chapter][numbercommand=\NumberCommand]

\def\NumberCommand#1%
   {\externalfigure[picture-\currentheadnumber][height=1cm]}

we cannot use #1 because it is more that the number; \currentheadnumber is
available in the latest version

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: pictures for numbers
@ 2001-11-16 11:55   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-11-16 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Andres Loeh, ntg-context

Hi Taco,

fyi: there is now a fully expandable \Romannumerals

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: [ConTeXt] Re: pictures for numbers
@ 2001-11-16 15:06   ` Andres Loeh
From: Andres Loeh @ 2001-11-16 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

> Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 12:53:14 +0100
> From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
> Subject: [ConTeXt] Re: pictures for numbers

Hello again,

thanks for your help so far. I tried to construct a solution out of
Taco's and your remarks, and I got that far:

%--BEGIN
\useexternalfigure [sleutelI] [sleutelsI_new] [height=3ex]
\useexternalfigure [sleutelV] [sleutelsV_new] [height=3ex]
\useexternalfigure [sleutelX] [sleutelsX_new] [height=3ex]

\def\Sleutels#1%
  {\hbox{\expandafter\DoSleutels\romannumeral #1\relax}\relax}

\def\DoSleutels#1%
  {\if #1\relax
     \let\next\relax
   \else
     \if #1i%
       \externalfigure[sleutelI]
     \else
       \if #1v%
         \externalfigure[sleutelV]
       \else
         \if #1x%
           \externalfigure[sleutelX]
         \else
           \relax
         \fi
       \fi
     \fi
     \let\next\DoSleutels
   \fi
   \next}

%(1)% \setuphead[chapter][numbercommand=\Sleutels]

%(2)% \defineconversion[sleutels][\Sleutels]
%(2)% \setupsection  [section-2] [conversion=sleutels]

\starttext

\Sleutels{34}

\chapter {Test}

\stoptext
%--END

The generation of the pictures works perfectly as
a standalone function. However, I want them to appear
as chapter numbers. If I uncomment either the line marked
%(1)% or the lines marked %(2)%, I get errors:

(1):
! Missing number, treated as zero.
<to be read again>
                   \edef
\setstrutdimen ...strutdimen =#3\strutdimen \edef
                                                  #1{\the \strutdimen }
\setstrut ...ht \strutheightfactor \spacingfactor
                                                  \setstrutdimen \strutdepth...
<argument> \setstrut
                     \begstrut \sectiebloklabel {\v!hoofdstuk }{\finalsectio...

\Sleutels ...andafter \DoSleutels \romannumeral #1
                                                  \relax }\relax
<argument> ...k }{\finalsectionnumber }\endstrut }
                                                  \else \getvalue {\??ko \v!...
..
l.39 \chapter {Test}

(2):
! Extra \else.
\DoSleutels ...f #1\relax \let \next \relax \else
                                                  \if #1i\externalfigure [sl...

\DoSleutels ...\fi \fi \let \next \DoSleutels \fi
                                                  \next
<to be read again>
                   \relax
\Sleutels ...r \DoSleutels \romannumeral #1\relax
                                                  }\relax
\@@sectionconversion ...??se #1\c!conversie }}{#2}
                                                  \fi \else \getvalue {\??cv...

\@@shortsectionnumber ...#1}{\@@sectionvalue {#1}}
                                                  \fi \else \@@sectionconver...
..
l.39 \chapter {Test}

What am I doing wrong? [I am using the ConTeXt version from the
newest TeXLive CD.]

Groeten,
  Andres

--

@ 2001-11-16 15:29   ` Andres Loeh
From: Andres Loeh @ 2001-11-16 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

> \setuphead[chapter][numbercommand=\NumberCommand]
>
> \def\NumberCommand#1%
>    {\externalfigure[picture-\currentheadnumber][height=1cm]}
>
> we cannot use #1 because it is more that the number; \currentheadnumber is
> available in the latest version

Sorry, in the previous mail I did not make use of your comment about
\currentheadnumber. The solution to add

\setuphead[chapter][numbercommand=\MakeSleutels]

\def\MakeSleutels#1%
  {\Sleutels\currentheadnumber}
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (instead of #1)

actually seems to work perfectly. But nevertheless I'd still be interested
why defining the conversion does not work ...

Groeten,
  Andres

--

@ 2001-11-16 16:37     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-11-16 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 04:06 PM 11/16/2001 +0100, Andres Loeh wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 12:53:14 +0100
> > From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
> > Subject: [ConTeXt] Re: pictures for numbers
>
>Hello again,
>
>thanks for your help so far. I tried to construct a solution out of
>Taco's and your remarks, and I got that far:
>
>%--BEGIN
>\useexternalfigure [sleutelI] [sleutelsI_new] [height=3ex]
>\useexternalfigure [sleutelV] [sleutelsV_new] [height=3ex]
>\useexternalfigure [sleutelX] [sleutelsX_new] [height=3ex]
>
>\def\Sleutels#1%
>   {\hbox{\expandafter\DoSleutels\romannumeral #1\relax}\relax}
>
>\def\DoSleutels#1%
>   {\if #1\relax
>      \let\next\relax
>    \else
>      \if #1i%
>        \externalfigure[sleutelI]
>      \else
>        \if #1v%
>          \externalfigure[sleutelV]
>        \else
>          \if #1x%
>            \externalfigure[sleutelX]
>          \else
>            \relax
>          \fi
>        \fi
>      \fi
>      \let\next\DoSleutels
>    \fi
>    \next}
>

>The generation of the pictures works perfectly as
>a standalone function. However, I want them to appear
>as chapter numbers. If I uncomment either the line marked
>%(1)% or the lines marked %(2)%, I get errors:
>
>(1):

As said, the #1 is not really a number but a whole bunch of info, liek font
switches; try \showargument{#1} in your macro and you will see what i mean.

This is why you need the alternative that i send you. That one uses the raw
number. If you want an uppercase rommannumeral, use

\def\MyNiceNumber#1%
   {\edef\TheRomanNumber{\Romannumerals\currentheadnumber}%
    \expandafter\handletokens\TheRomanNumber\with\MyRomanPicture}

\def\MyRomanPicture#1%
   {\hbox{\externalfigure[RomanDigit#1][widyh=1cm]}}

\setuphead[chapter][numbercommand=\MyNiceNumber]

\dorecurse{25}{\chapter{It Works}}

For this to work you need the following macro (which i made for patrick
some weeks ago, in core-con, but that one generates a \relax:

\def\doRomannumerals#1#2\relax % spaces after ifcase prevent \relax
   {\ifnum#1#2<10
      \ifcase0#1#2 \or I\or II\or III\or IV\or V\or VI\or VII\or VIII\or IX\fi
    \else\ifnum#1#2<100
      \ifcase0#1   \or X\or XX\or XXX\or XL\or L\or LX\or LXX\or LXXX\or XC\fi
      \doRomannumerals#2\relax
    \else\ifnum#1#2<1000
      \ifcase0#1   \or C\or CC\or CCC\or CD\or D\or DC\or DCC\or DCCC\or CM\fi
      \doRomannumerals#2\relax
    \else\ifnum#1#2<4000
      \ifcase0#1   \or M\or MM\or MMM\fi
      \doRomannumerals#2\relax
    \else
      \uppercase\expandafter{\romannumeral#1#2}%
    \fi\fi\fi\fi}

@ 2001-11-16 16:38     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-11-16 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 04:29 PM 11/16/2001 +0100, Andres Loeh wrote:
> > \setuphead[chapter][numbercommand=\NumberCommand]
> >
> > \def\NumberCommand#1%
> >    {\externalfigure[picture-\currentheadnumber][height=1cm]}
> >
> > we cannot use #1 because it is more that the number; \currentheadnumber is
> > available in the latest version
>
>Sorry, in the previous mail I did not make use of your comment about
>\currentheadnumber. The solution to add
>
>\setuphead[chapter][numbercommand=\MakeSleutels]
>
>\def\MakeSleutels#1%
>   {\Sleutels\currentheadnumber}
>
>actually seems to work perfectly. But nevertheless I'd still be interested
>why defining the conversion does not work ...

try: \showargument{#1} inside \MakeSleutels

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl