From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: Re: latest context problems / map explanation
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 17:44:49 +0100	[thread overview]

At 03:46 PM 11/16/2001 +0100, Berend de Boer wrote:
>Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:
>
> > Because multiple conflicting encoding need to be supported, and
> > because one can create instances like slanted or capitalized locally,
> > from now on we use the more verbose names
> >
> >    texnansi-blabla
> >
> > and alike [see mtexfont.pdf and mfonts.pdf]
> >
> > This also means that ber does not make much sense now.
>
>I get lots of msgs like:
>
>pdftex         : needs map file: original-ams-cmr.map
>pdftex         : needs map file: original-ams-euler.map
>pdftex         : needs map file: original-ams-logo.map
>pdftex         : needs map file: 8r-adobe-utopia.map
>pdftex         : needs map file: 8r-bit-charter.map
>

>On my system they're in $TEXMF/pdftex/config.
>
>Does this msg mean that pdftex cannot find the file or is this just
>some msg that the thing is found and loaded??

no, it's a message that they are not loaded at run time
(\loadmapfile[...]), since you didn't enable that. The problem is that
pdftex can only load map files at the first page (i already discussed this
with thanh and he will look into it); so you can load all mapfiles:

\usetypescript [map] [all]

or selective ones.

Another problem is that if you load the psfonts map file, you get a lot of
dup messages when maps are loaded again; Actually, i don;t load the big map
fil ehere, esp since there is potential conflicting stuff in there (pdftex
consults the map file when embedding files and if you have different fonts
with the same name but differen tencodings ... you can imagine the mess
(this is one reason for *not* mentioning the internal fontname in the map
file).

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl