* Penalties between items?
@ 2001-12-01 23:16 F. Miller Maley
From: F. Miller Maley @ 2001-12-01 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

How does ConTeXt decide what penalties to place between items in a
\startitemize...\stopitemize construction?  Looking at the vertical list
with \showlists, I sometimes see a penalty of -5, sometimes 500, and
sometimes 10000.

There's a place in my document where TeX prefers to break a page just
before the last line of an \item paragraph, leaving 2 blank lines at
the bottom of the page, rather than breaking after the paragraph and
leaving one blank line.  There appears to be a penalty of 10000 here.
Are penalties added to prevent breaking just after the first item in
a list?

It should be easy to add my own breakpoints with inbetween={\blank\penalty0}
or something, but presumably this is not the natural solution.  I looked
briefly at the other options to \setupitemize without finding the answer.
Apologies if the answer is obvious....

-- Miller Maley

* Re: Penalties between items?
@ 2001-12-03  9:54 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-12-03  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 06:16 PM 12/1/2001 -0500, F. Miller Maley wrote:
>How does ConTeXt decide what penalties to place between items in a
>\startitemize...\stopitemize construction?  Looking at the vertical list
>with \showlists, I sometimes see a penalty of -5, sometimes 500, and
>sometimes 10000.

indeed, context tries not to split the two first or last items

>There's a place in my document where TeX prefers to break a page just
>before the last line of an \item paragraph, leaving 2 blank lines at
>the bottom of the page, rather than breaking after the paragraph and
>leaving one blank line.  There appears to be a penalty of 10000 here.
>Are penalties added to prevent breaking just after the first item in
>a list?

something like that; if youhave a fialing casse, i need a minimal example

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl