* Bug in columnset?
@ 2001-12-03 11:43 AlterEgo Qasars
From: AlterEgo Qasars @ 2001-12-03 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good evening!

While having no information, I play with the columnset marcro myself. It
works absolutely well when it's once turned on and once off. But when I'm
switching among one and more columns, it starts to behave in a quite
strange way. Sometimes some text disappeares, sometimes it is placed on a
new page, sometimes two blocks of text are placed over themselves. I'm
sending a minimal file -- try to change numbers in \dorecurse to see
other strange behavior. What I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks,
Michal Kvasnicka

[-- Attachment #2: todo --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1117 bytes --]

% interface=en, output=pdf

% Used version:
% TeXExec 2.5 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2001
% pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-14h-released-20010417-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.3.1)
% ConTeXt  ver: 2001.9.14  fmt: 2001.9.19  int: english  mes: english

\setupcolors[state=start]
\setupbodyfont[10pt]
\setuplayout
        [topspace=15mm, height=267mm,
        backspace=15mm, width=18cm, lines=61,
        header=0pt, headerdistance=0pt,
        footer=\baselineskip, footerdistance=\baselineskip,
        margin=0pt,
        grid=yes]
\setuppagenumbering[location=bottom]

\setupindenting[medium]
\indenting[first]

\setuptolerance[tolerant]

\definecolumnset[three cols]
        [n=3]
\setupcolumnset[three cols]
        [offset=0pt, balance=yes, distance=0cm, tolerance=verytolerant]

\newif\ifInCols \InColsfalse
\let\OriSec=\section
\def\section#1{%
	\ifInCols\stopcolumnset\fi%
	\OriSec{#1}%
	\startcolumnset[three cols]%
	\InColstrue
}

\showgrid

\starttext
\dorecurse{3}{\input knuth}

\section{This is the first section}

\dorecurse{4}{\input knuth}

\section{This is the second section}

\dorecurse{5}{\input knuth}

\stoptext

[-- Attachment #3: multicolumn1.tex --]

* Re: Bug in columnset?
@ 2001-12-03 15:22 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-12-03 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: konference o ConTeXtu

At 12:43 PM 12/3/2001 +0100, AlterEgo Qasars wrote:
>Good evening!
>
>While having no information, I play with the columnset marcro myself. It
>works absolutely well when it's once turned on and once off. But when I'm
>switching among one and more columns, it starts to behave in a quite
>strange way. Sometimes some text disappeares, sometimes it is placed on a
>new page, sometimes two blocks of text are placed over themselves. I'm
>sending a minimal file -- try to change numbers in \dorecurse to see
>other strange behavior. What I'm doing wrong?

i cannot see it here due to another bug -)

anyway, in your example you don't end the last column set

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Bug in columnset?
@ 2001-12-05  9:14   ` AlterEgo Qasars
From: AlterEgo Qasars @ 2001-12-05  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good morning!

> anyway, in your example you don't end the last column set

Oh, I'm stupid. But when I've corrected it, everything went
in the same way. But everything was correct when I turned ballancing
of columns off. This is unhappy thing for me since I have to typeset
my stuff ballanced.

Are you planning to add ballancing in some near future or should
I try to handle my stuff in some other way (\vadjust is powerful :-)?

Many thanks and greetings. Your ConTeXt is much more powerful
than I expected TeX could be.

Michal Kvasnicka

* Re: Bug in columnset?
@ 2001-12-05 10:14     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-12-05 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:14 AM 12/5/2001 +0100, you wrote:

>Are you planning to add ballancing in some near future or should

it is on the agenda, actually, what you already can do is to turn balancing
on and specify lines=<number> per column, like

\setupcolumngroup [yourname] [1] [lines=4]

etc. for each column. That way you get the balance that you want.