From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Cc: David Chemouil <david.chemouil@irit.fr>, ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: many questions
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 18:19:50 +0100	[thread overview]

At 04:27 PM 12/18/2001 +0100, Damien Wyart wrote:

>I had asked similar questions a few months ago. Seems there is still
>quite much work to do to really support french in ConTeXt. What I do not
>understand is why French seems to be among the rare european languages
>not supported.

actually, there is not that much to do:

- finish/check the il1 encoding vector
- check the lang-ita file for french translations

the special typo things are probably easy to do once i know what special
things are needed

really: all building blocks are there, it's just a matter of filling in
some gaps, so Go Ahead -)

>For now, Denis Roegel has made a sketchy support file for latin1 (IIRC).
>Translation of commands and french typography are not yet done, I think.
>Once again, I do not really know why.

concerning a french interface: if you want french commands and message,
just provide them [i.e. take the latest mult-con.com file and translate
things.]

> > 3. Is it possible to make overlays for a screen presentation?
>
>Yes, I know this is possible. Some demos from Hans show this feature
>(and many other). But I do not know in detail how to achieve this.

What exactly do you need? You can put overlays everywhere you want. (there
are special overlaybuttons and figures too, to ease the job).

> > 4. Is there a module translating every sectioning command in French
> > (like Chapitre instead of Chapter for example)? And something
> > implementing French typographic rules (even simple ones, among which
> > hyphenation)...?
>
>It would really be useful for us, frenchies wanting to really use
>ConTeXt. Maybe frenchb from babel should be used as a starting point ?
>I'd like to help, but I do not know how at all.

Just take a look at lang-ita (french being an italian family language) and
search for:

\s!fr

[actually, we have been typesetting french stuff]

\starttext

\mainlanguage[fr]

\placefigure{Looks like french}{}

\stoptext

already should give you french labels -)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl