From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Cc: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re[2]: More font problems --- encoding errors
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 12:32:23 +0100	[thread overview]

At 10:35 PM 12/28/2001 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>Thursday, December 27, 2001 Hans Hagen wrote:
>
> >>(1) encoding 8r (from enco-tbo.tex) does NOT define leftguillemot
> >>and rightguillemot (they are there at positions 171 and 187)
>
>HH> actually, that part was never really finished, the same for dashes -)
>
>I think the font- and char- encoding should be a top priority.
>
>Now, if ConTeXt was on CVS and I had access to it, I could really
>give a hand in this very mechanical part.

sure, but since then i would have to keep yet another tree since we're
rather dependent on knowing the internals, esp since we have experimental
(new) stuff running here, which i have to keep in sync.

With systems like tex there is a danger in cvs. Where in a program a bug
fix results in better performance or correct behavior, in a more fuzzy
system personal preferences can lead to conflicts (imagine that one changes
default values in the layout); Esp font / character / language related
things should be discusses beforehand.

I'm currently not working on encodings, so ...

one reason why i didn't yet add things like guillemots and emdashes to the
encoding is that it is far from clear what should be a character and what a
symbol. Take the euro: for a long time it was a symbol, but now fonts seem
to get it, which makes it a character.

If we consider << and >> as well as --- punctuation, it is probably ok to
treat them as character which means that they will be part of encoding
vectors.

So, if you can complete the list of punctuation things for the vectors we
can move them into the vectors.

Euro's, Dollars, Pounds, Yens and whatever are probably best off being
symbols.

>HH> indeed, and if it goes wrong, then there is a bug; do you use the latest
>HH> beta?
>
>Looking better, it's version 2001.12.10 (Now which is the month
>and which is the day?)

well, since i could not upload in oct, and got thinsg running again in
december ... 12 must be the month -)

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
From owner-ntg-context@let.uu.nl Thu Jun 20 19:30:37 2002
To: gloonie@telocity.com
From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Cc: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Sender: owner-ntg-context@let.uu.nl
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 01:54:29 +0200
Subject: Re: Turkish language ini file

At 05:25 PM 6/17/2002 -0400, Glenn R. Williams wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Does anyone know have a Turkish language file (cont-tr.ini)? I notice
>references for Turkish, but the distribution does not contain pertinent
>files.

watch out: cont-<language code> is reserved for an interface!

what you probably want is turkish language support:

texexec --make --language=tr,en

(given that you have patterns)

and then use the english interface with:

\mainlanguage[tr]