* another example of fonts
@ 2002-01-24 16:58 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-24 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I just installed the univers and it makes a nice example of typescripts.

First i copied the floppy with afm/pfb/pfm onto my disk (scratch path).

There I ran

   texfont --ven=linotype --col=univers --enc=texnansi --make --install

this copies the files to the right place and generated tfm's. Also, a test
file is generated that shoul dprocess out of the box

   texnansi-linotype-univers.tex

Next comes making a typescript, say typeface.tex:

% we auto load the map file

\starttypescript [map] [texnansi]

   \loadmapfile[texnansi-linotype-univers.map]

\stoptypescript

% from the test file we cut and paste and edit; watch the three sets

\starttypescript [sans] [univers,univers-light,univers-black] [name]

   \definefontsynonym [Sans]            [Univers]
   \definefontsynonym [SansBold]        [Univers-Bold]
   \definefontsynonym [SansSlanted]     [Univers-Oblique]
   \definefontsynonym [SansBoldSlanted] [Univers-BoldOblique]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [sans] [univers-light] [name]

   \definefontsynonym [Sans]            [Univers-Light]
   \definefontsynonym [SansSlanted]     [Univers-LightOblique]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [sans] [univers-black] [name]

   \definefontsynonym [Sans]            [Univers-Black]
   \definefontsynonym [SansSlanted]     [Univers-BlackOblique]
   \definefontsynonym [SansBold]        [Univers-Black]
   \definefontsynonym [SansBoldSlanted] [Univers-BlackOblique]

\stoptypescript

% next we create a file name mapper

\starttypescript [sans] [univers,univers-black,univers-light] [texnansi]

   \definefontsynonym [Univers]              [texnansi-LT50138]
[encoding=texnansi]
   \definefontsynonym [Univers-Bold]         [texnansi-LT50140]
[encoding=texnansi]
   \definefontsynonym [Univers-Oblique]      [texnansi-LT50139]
[encoding=texnansi]
   \definefontsynonym [Univers-BoldOblique]  [texnansi-LT50141]
[encoding=texnansi]

   \definefontsynonym [Univers-Light]        [texnansi-LT50136]
[encoding=texnansi]
   \definefontsynonym [Univers-LightOblique] [texnansi-LT50137]
[encoding=texnansi]

   \definefontsynonym [Univers-Black]        [texnansi-LT50142]
[encoding=texnansi]
   \definefontsynonym [Univers-BlackOblique] [texnansi-LT50143]
[encoding=texnansi]

\stoptypescript

Now we can make a test file:

% output=pdftex

\usetypescriptfile[typeface]

\definetypeface [normal] [ss] [sans] [univers]       [default] [texnansi]
\definetypeface [light]  [ss] [sans] [univers-light] [default] [texnansi]
\definetypeface [black]  [ss] [sans] [univers-black] [default] [texnansi]

\starttext

\startbuffer
So this {\sl is an} example {\bf of an} linotype {\bs univers} typeface.
\stopbuffer

\setupbodyfont[normal,10pt] \getbuffer \par
\setupbodyfont[light, 10pt] \getbuffer \par
\setupbodyfont[black, 10pt] \getbuffer \par

\stoptext

Again, this should run without further efforts. As you can see, we use the
original filenames prefixed by texnansi-. If needed one can also generate
the caps alternatives, but i wonder if univers is suited for that.

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server:
www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: another example of fonts
@ 2002-01-25  7:47 ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2002-01-25  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 17:58:59 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just installed the univers and it makes a nice example of typescripts.

Yeah, nice example. There is no documentation without a good example!
It has helped a lot seeing the whole thing in action. Thank you.

What do you think about setting up a font-support page at pragma-ade,
where people can download typescripts for their fonts, may be the tfms
too. With a small README this can save some trouble in font installation,
and when many users contribute we will have quickly a good
out-of-the-box-support for many fonts.

Regards,
  Jens

* Re: another example of fonts
@ 2002-01-25  9:47   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-25  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 08:47 AM 1/25/2002 +0100, Jens-Uwe Morawski wrote:
>On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 17:58:59 +0100
>Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just installed the univers and it makes a nice example of typescripts.
> >

>Yeah, nice example. There is no documentation without a good example!
>It has helped a lot seeing the whole thing in action. Thank you.
>
>What do you think about setting up a font-support page at pragma-ade,
>where people can download typescripts for their fonts, may be the tfms

i will probably do that later this year

>too. With a small README this can save some trouble in font installation,
>and when many users contribute we will have quickly a good
>out-of-the-box-support for many fonts.

did you look into type-buy.tex ? this is where i put many of the def's we
do here

@ 2002-01-25 11:44     ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2002-01-25 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 10:47:19 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> >too. With a small README this can save some trouble in font installation,
> >and when many users contribute we will have quickly a good
> >out-of-the-box-support for many fonts.
>
> did you look into type-buy.tex ? this is where i put many of the def's we
> do here

Not yet. On the other hand i think it is much easier to see on a Web-Page
what font-sets are supported (and download the support-files from there)
than looking inside the code. Many users will not need these declarations,
thus i see no reason to always include them.

Best,
  Jens

* Re: another example of fonts
@ 2002-01-25 12:38       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-25 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 12:44 PM 1/25/2002 +0100, Jens-Uwe Morawski wrote:
>On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 10:47:19 +0100
>Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
> > >too. With a small README this can save some trouble in font installation,
> > >and when many users contribute we will have quickly a good
> > >out-of-the-box-support for many fonts.
> >
> > did you look into type-buy.tex ? this is where i put many of the def's we
> > do here
>
>Not yet. On the other hand i think it is much easier to see on a Web-Page
>what font-sets are supported (and download the support-files from there)
>than looking inside the code. Many users will not need these declarations,
>thus i see no reason to always include them.

beware: only defs that are used are included, the typescripts are just
records,