* Itemize within tabulate does not work correctly, I think.
@ 2002-01-25  8:19 Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2002-01-25  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am relatively new to ConTeXt and hardly a TeX expert by any means, so
I hope that the obvious point I have missed can be easily pointed out.

The attached document trivially reproduces the issue I am having with
layout. What I want to achieve is something like:

* item one      text that continues along here
* item two      and wraps nicely...

Unfortunately, the itemize in the left column places all the items on a
single line, even if I end them each with '\par'

So, if itemize and tabulate do work together, which may not be true,
what have I done wrong?

This is with:
 TeXUtil 7.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2000
            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : test
                output : pdftex
             interface : en
          current mode : all
               TeX run : 1

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-1.00a-pretest-20011114-ojmw-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.7)
ConTeXt  ver: 2001.7.11  fmt: 2002.1.19  int: english  mes: english

I run an up-to-date Debian unstable, so a fairly recent TeTeX
distribution.

I hope that these are all the details that are needed.

        Daniel

% interface=en output=pdftex

\version[concept]

\starttext

\starttabulate[|p(5cm)|p|]

\startitemize[1,packed]
\item 2~cups natural yogurt
\item 2~cups rolled oats
\stopitemize

\NC

Put oats and yogurt in a large dish. Stir well to combine.
Add the honey and lemon juice, followed by milk, and combine well.
Add the fruit, combine well then place in a cool place for 24~hours.

\stoptabulate

\stoptext

In protocol design, perfection has been reached not when there is nothing left
to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
        -- RFC 1925

* Re: Itemize within tabulate does not work correctly, I think.
@ 2002-01-25  9:35 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-25  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 07:19 PM 1/25/2002 +1100, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>I am relatively new to ConTeXt and hardly a TeX expert by any means, so
>I hope that the obvious point I have missed can be easily pointed out.
>
>The attached document trivially reproduces the issue I am having with
>layout. What I want to achieve is something like:
>
>* item one      text that continues along here
>* item two      and wraps nicely...
>
>Unfortunately, the itemize in the left column places all the items on a
>single line, even if I end them each with '\par'
>
>So, if itemize and tabulate do work together, which may not be true,
>what have I done wrong?

you need the p entrY :

\starttabulate[|l|p|]
\NC item one   \NC \startitemize
                    \item \input tufte
                    \item \input tufte
                    \item \input tufte
                    \stopitemize \NC \NR
\NC item two   \NC \startitemize
                    \item \input tufte
                    \item \input tufte
                    \item \input tufte
                    \stopitemize \NC \NR
\stoptabulate
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server:
www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Itemize within tabulate does not work correctly, I think.
@ 2002-01-25 11:23   ` Daniel Pittman
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2002-01-25 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 07:19 PM 1/25/2002 +1100, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>>I am relatively new to ConTeXt and hardly a TeX expert by any means,
>>so I hope that the obvious point I have missed can be easily pointed
>>out.
>>
>>The attached document trivially reproduces the issue I am having with
>>layout. What I want to achieve is something like:
>>
>>* item one      text that continues along here
>>* item two      and wraps nicely...
>>
>>Unfortunately, the itemize in the left column places all the items on
>>a single line, even if I end them each with '\par'
>>
>>So, if itemize and tabulate do work together, which may not be true,
>>what have I done wrong?
>
> you need the p entry :

Ah. I have not expressed myself well. :(  The layout example I showed
was incomplete -- I was too busy trying to cut it down to the minimum
size.

I want to get this effect, roughly:

+--------------------+-----------------------------+
+ * ingredient one   + The steps to prepare this   +
+ * ingredient two   + part of the recipe. They go +
+ * ingredient three + on for a bit, involving the +
+                    + ingredients to the left.    +
+--------------------+-----------------------------+
+ * ingredient four  + The next step.              +
+ * ingredient five  +                             +
+ * ingredient three +                             +
+--------------------+-----------------------------+

So, a continuing table with one or more ingredients in the left column
and the steps that use them in the right.

The hight of each row in the table should be determined by the longer of
the list of ingredients and the instructions.

What I /really/ want to achieve, though, and am having trouble with, is
that I should be able to have *any* number of ingredients on the left
and *any* length of text on the right without having whitespace imposed
on either side for those blocks.

I hope that is more clear about what I want. The intention is to group
the ingredients for the next step of a recipe together, putting them
next to the text explaining what to do with them.

The only way I can see it working with one ingredient per table row is
if I can allow the text on the right to fill more than one row, as with
the HTML table:

        Daniel

--
You are more than the sum of what you consume. Desire is not an occupation.
        -- KMFDF, _Dogma_

* Re: Itemize within tabulate does not work correctly, I think.
@ 2002-01-25 11:47     ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2002-01-25 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen, ntg-context

Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:

> > you need the p entry :
>
> Ah. I have not expressed myself well. :(  The layout example I showed
> was incomplete -- I was too busy trying to cut it down to the minimum
> size.

But does having two paragraph columns not work? What exactly goes
wrong in that case?

--
Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: Itemize within tabulate does not work correctly, I think.
@ 2002-01-25 12:12     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2002-01-25 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: pragma, ntg-context

Does this do what you had in mind?

\starttabulate[|p|p|]
\NC \startitemize[n]
\item Ingredient 1
\stopitemize
\NC What I /really/ want to achieve, though, and am having trouble with, is
that I should be able to have *any* number of ingredients on the left
and *any* length of text on the right without having whitespace imposed
on either side for those blocks.\NC\NR
\NC \startitemize[n,continue]
\item Ingredient 2
\item Ingredient 3
\item Ingredient 4
\stopitemize
\NC A short text\NC\NR
\stoptabulate

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 22:23:21 +1100
"Daniel Pittman" <daniel@rimspace.net> wrote:

> What I /really/ want to achieve, though, and am having trouble with, is
> that I should be able to have *any* number of ingredients on the left
> and *any* length of text on the right without having whitespace imposed
> on either side for those blocks.

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: Itemize within tabulate does not work correctly, I think.
@ 2002-01-25 12:18       ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2002-01-25 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen, ntg-context

On 25 Jan 2002, Berend de Boer wrote:
> Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:
>
>> > you need the p entry :
>>
>> Ah. I have not expressed myself well. :(  The layout example I showed
>> was incomplete -- I was too busy trying to cut it down to the minimum
>> size.
>
> But does having two paragraph columns not work? What exactly goes
> wrong in that case?

No. My original example had the tabulate definition '[|p(5cm)|p|]'. A
simple '[|p|p|]' fails in exactly the same way.

When I specify this, I end up with a layout like this:

* item one * item two

Using three items I end up with three items on one line.

It seems that there is no end of line found for the items. Even this
fails:

% interface=en output=pdftex
\starttext
\starttabulate[|p|]
\startitemize[1]
\item one
\item two
\stopitemize
\stoptabulate
\stoptext

The error, in this case, is exactly the same: I get the items on one
line, with the text and the points overtyped.

Somehow the itemize ends up with a height of a single line. The attached
image, all 550 bytes of it, shows the error in the output.

No variation on input seems to make a difference here. Er, if someone
else can run the above fragment and produce correct output (a /vertical/
list of two items), let me know and I will stop bugging y'all. :)

        Daniel

[-- Attachment #2: output.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 553 bytes --]

The aim of psychoanalysis is to relieve people of their neurotic unhappiness
so that they can be normally unhappy.
        -- Sigmund Freud

* Re: Itemize within tabulate does not work correctly, I think.
@ 2002-01-25 12:22         ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2002-01-25 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen, ntg-context

Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:

> No. My original example had the tabulate definition '[|p(5cm)|p|]'. A
> simple '[|p|p|]' fails in exactly the same way.

And [|p(5cm)|p(5cm)|] ?

--
Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: Itemize within tabulate does not work correctly, I think.
@ 2002-01-25 12:56     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-25 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:23 PM 1/25/2002 +1100, Daniel Pittman wrote:

>Ah. I have not expressed myself well. :(  The layout example I showed
>was incomplete -- I was too busy trying to cut it down to the minimum
>size.
>
>I want to get this effect, roughly:
>
>+--------------------+-----------------------------+
>+ * ingredient one   + The steps to prepare this   +
>+ * ingredient two   + part of the recipe. They go +
>+ * ingredient three + on for a bit, involving the +
>+                    + ingredients to the left.    +
>+--------------------+-----------------------------+
>+ * ingredient four  + The next step.              +
>+ * ingredient five  +                             +
>+ * ingredient three +                             +
>+--------------------+-----------------------------+
>
>So, a continuing table with one or more ingredients in the left column
>and the steps that use them in the right.
>
>The hight of each row in the table should be determined by the longer of
>the list of ingredients and the instructions.
>
>What I /really/ want to achieve, though, and am having trouble with, is
>that I should be able to have *any* number of ingredients on the left
>and *any* length of text on the right without having whitespace imposed
>on either side for those blocks.

\starttabulate[|p(.4\hsize)|p|]
\NC
   \startitemize
   \item ingredient one
   \item ingredient two
   \item ingredient three
   \stopitemize
\NC
   The steps to prepare this
   part of the recipe. They go
   on for a bit, involving the
   ingredients to the left.
\NC \NR
\NC
   \startitemize
   \item ingredient four
   \item ingredient five
   \item ingredient three
   \stopitemize
\NC
   The next step.
\NC \NR
\stoptabulate

>I hope that is more clear about what I want. The intention is to group
>the ingredients for the next step of a recipe together, putting them
>next to the text explaining what to do with them.
>
>The only way I can see it working with one ingredient per table row is
>if I can allow the text on the right to fill more than one row, as with
>the HTML table:

\bTABLE
\bTR
   \bTD
     \startitemize[packed]
     \item ingredient one
     \item ingredient two
     \item ingredient three
     \stopitemize
   \eTD
   \bTD
     The steps to prepare this
     part of the recipe. They go
     on for a bit, involving the
     ingredients to the left.
   \eTD
\eTR
\bTR
   \bTD
     \startitemize[packed]
     \item ingredient four
     \item ingredient five
     \item ingredient three
     \stopitemize
   \eTD
   \bTD
     The next step.
   \eTD
\eTR
\eTABLE

Hans

@ 2002-01-25 12:59         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-25 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 11:18 PM 1/25/2002 +1100, Daniel Pittman wrote:

>% interface=en output=pdftex
>\starttext
>\starttabulate[|p|]
>\startitemize[1]
>\item one
>\item two
>\stopitemize
>\stoptabulate
>\stoptext

eh ... seems like you forget the \NC ... \NC \NR part, you need to instruct
tabulate where cols/rows begin end

Hans

@ 2002-01-25 22:24           ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2002-01-25 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 11:18 PM 1/25/2002 +1100, Daniel Pittman wrote:

[... table sans \NC and \NC \NR ...]

> eh ... seems like you forget the \NC ... \NC \NR part, you need to
> instruct tabulate where cols/rows begin end

Ah! I /knew/ that I must have been doing something really stupid. Thank
you. Now that those are present it works correctly.

I had not realized that you *must* put the '\NR' in the table, even for
a single row. I assumed that the last (or only) row would be
_implicitly_ terminated, not explicitly so.

Thank you so much for your assistance with this. Hopefully I will not
have too many more silly questions to bother y'all with. :)

Regards,
        Daniel

--
I am in love. There, I said it. Tigers come out of your jungle and
devour me. Cool.

* Re: Itemize within tabulate does not work correctly, I think.
@ 2002-01-27 18:22             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-27 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 09:24 AM 1/26/2002 +1100, Daniel Pittman wrote:

>I had not realized that you *must* put the '\NR' in the table, even for
>a single row. I assumed that the last (or only) row would be
>_implicitly_ terminated, not explicitly so.

you were lucky that it worked (in terms of tex: the tabel is
auto-terminated by \crcr, which catches some errors, like this one)

Hans