* bounced mail, Ray Lehtiniemi, headers
       [not found] <200201261150.MAA12089@smail.let.uu.nl>
@ 2002-01-27 19:19 ` Hans Hagen
       [not found] ` <20020128133825.B2179@otii.com>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-27 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 12:50 PM 1/26/2002 +0100, owner-ntg-context@let.uu.nl wrote:
>hi all
>
>i'm trying to place a rule under my page header with the latest stable
>release, and it's not quite working for me.
>

>i want this on my facing pages:
>
>     2               chapter         section               3
>     -----------------------         -----------------------
>

>but i get this instead:
>
>     2               chapter         section               3
>-----------------------         -----------------------
>

>on page 2, the rule is butted up to the cutmarks on the left side
>of the page.  on page 3, it extends just past the cutmark and off
>the left side of the page

>i'm pretty new to TeX in general, but i think i've traced this to
>doplacelayouttextline in page-txt.tex, and i don't see any obvious
>problems...  am i missing something here?

right, you traced back to the right macro! but before and after were never
supposed to be used for rules, just for fills and so; what you see in
action is an interference with the way teh line is build. Now after and
before work on the whole line; I can probably add some hooks per text, and
actually i've played with that, but we will run into complicated (and hard
to explain) situations with regards to empty/high/stop situations; this is
why the best way is use backgrounds for rules (see earlier mail); i can add
before/after hooks for situations where there is content (this would permit
quick and dirty styles).

\setupbackgrounds[text][text][...]

Hans

PS. Some limitations originate in the time when hash tables were small;
every key added to a text area results in 25 new hash entries, so this is
why at the moment some settings are not on a per areas basis

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server:
www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: bounced mail, Ray Lehtiniemi, headers
       [not found] ` <20020128133825.B2179@otii.com>
@ 2002-01-29 10:31   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-29 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 01:38 PM 1/28/2002 -0700, Ray Lehtiniemi wrote:

>this snippet actually does *exactly* what i want, and seems to interact well
>with \setuphead[chapter][header=high].  is it too ugly?  why are the text
>before/after hooks not aligned with the actual text box anyway?
>
>\setupheader
>   [after=\headrule]
>
>\def\headrule{%
>   \hskip\linkerrandbreedte\hskip\linkerrandafstand%
>   \hskip\linkermargebreedte\hskip\linkermargeafstand%
>   \hbox to \zetbreedte{\framed[width=broad,frame=off,topframe=on]{}}}

because the line is constructed as a whole and the before/after apply to
the whole

instead:

you may try the latest beta with \setupheader[text][after=\hrule]