* style fallbacks
@ 2002-01-28 22:55 Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-01-28 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are style fallbacks a supported part of the system, or are they local to
type-buy.tex?

This typescript doesn't work because of missing Slant styles:

\starttypescript [serif] [charter] [name]
  \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [Charter-Roman]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [Charter-Bold]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [Charter-Italic]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [Charter-Bold-Italic]
\stoptypescript

Adding \usetypescriptfile[type-buy] at the top and
\usetypescript[serif][fallback] within the typescript fixes that
problem, but the job still fails because of missing SerifCaps
definition, which isn't in the fallback typescript.

Adding this fixes it:

\starttypescript [serif] [fallback]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaps] [Serif]
\stoptypescript

Or, I could add dummy SerifCaps to the definition. Using the fallback
mechanism is more elegant. Is there a reason SmallCaps should be treated
differently than the Slant styles?

-Bill

* Re: style fallbacks
@ 2002-01-29 10:36 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-29 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 04:55 PM 1/28/2002 -0600, Bill McClain wrote:
>Are style fallbacks a supported part of the system, or are they local to
>type-buy.tex?
>
>This typescript doesn't work because of missing Slant styles:
>
>\starttypescript [serif] [charter] [name]
>   \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [Charter-Roman]
>   \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [Charter-Bold]
>   \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [Charter-Italic]
>   \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [Charter-Bold-Italic]
>\stoptypescript
>
>Adding \usetypescriptfile[type-buy] at the top and
>\usetypescript[serif][fallback] within the typescript fixes that
>problem, but the job still fails because of missing SerifCaps
>definition, which isn't in the fallback typescript.
>
>Adding this fixes it:
>
>\starttypescript [serif] [fallback]
>   \definefontsynonym [SerifCaps] [Serif]
>\stoptypescript
>
>Or, I could add dummy SerifCaps to the definition. Using the fallback
>mechanism is more elegant. Is there a reason SmallCaps should be treated
>differently than the Slant styles?

not al all, i sim0ply didn't add them (yet), so now i added the three extra
fallbacks.

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server: