* PDF-bookmarks and title pages
@ 2002-01-31 14:51 Klaus Herrmann
From: Klaus Herrmann @ 2002-01-31 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I worked through the context manual but I did not find a way to let
context automatically generate PDF-bookmarks. With bookmarks I mean the
content you can open at the left side in acrobat which contains
hyperlinks to arbitrary pages in the document. In german it is called
"Lesezeichen". Is there a way to let context put the parts, chapters,
sections an so on into these bookmarks?

And one other thing: Is there any support for typesetting title pages in
context?

Thanks
    Klaus

--
+ Klaus Herrmann
+ Technische Universität Berlin

* Re: PDF-bookmarks and title pages
@ 2002-01-31 15:09 ` Berend de Boer
       [not found]   ` <3C5962AD.6EEC3F0D@ivs.tu-berlin.de>
From: Berend de Boer @ 2002-01-31 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Klaus Herrmann <kh@ivs.tu-berlin.de> writes:

> I worked through the context manual but I did not find a way to let
> context automatically generate PDF-bookmarks. With bookmarks I mean the
> content you can open at the left side in acrobat which contains
> hyperlinks to arbitrary pages in the document. In german it is called
> "Lesezeichen". Is there a way to let context put the parts, chapters,
> sections an so on into these bookmarks?

To open the book mark:

\setupinteractionscreen[option=bookmark]

Generating bookmarks:

\placebookmarks
	[chapter,section,subsection]
	[open list]

> And one other thing: Is there any support for typesetting title pages in
> context?

Not really. Type your own TeX code between \startstandardmakeup
.. \stopstandardmakeup.

Some example:

\startstandardmakeup

\startfiguretext
  [left]
  {none}
  %{\externalfigure[eposix-bw.png]}
  {\externalfigure[eposix.png]}
\start
\ss
{\switchtobodyfont[48pt] \eposix\par}
\blank[big]
\bfb
\rightaligned{The definitive and complete}
\rightaligned{Eiffel to Standard C and}
\rightaligned{POSIX 1003.1 binding}

\blank[6.4cm]

\leftaligned{{\it written by Berend de Boer}}
\stop
\stopfiguretext

\stopstandardmakeup

--
Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: PDF-bookmarks and title pages
@ 2002-01-31 15:21 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-31 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 03:51 PM 1/31/2002 +0100, Klaus Herrmann wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I worked through the context manual but I did not find a way to let
>context automatically generate PDF-bookmarks. With bookmarks I mean the
>content you can open at the left side in acrobat which contains
>hyperlinks to arbitrary pages in the document. In german it is called
>"Lesezeichen". Is there a way to let context put the parts, chapters,
>sections an so on into these bookmarks?

\setupinteraction[state=start]
\placebookmarks[chapter,section]

each list can go into the bookmark, so you can also add figure entries there

>And one other thing: Is there any support for typesetting title pages in
>context?

\startstandardmakeup

\bfd Title \par

\bfc Subtitle \par

\vfill

\bfc Your Name \par

\bfc \currentdate \par

\stopstandardmakeup

is a starting point,

hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server:
www.pragma-pod.nl

@ 2002-01-31 15:37     ` Berend de Boer
       [not found]       ` <3C596A55.9DCC5FD1@ivs.tu-berlin.de>
From: Berend de Boer @ 2002-01-31 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Klaus Herrmann <kh@ivs.tu-berlin.de> writes:

> Ok, that works fine. Thank you.
>
> However, another problem comes into play here. I'm writing a german text with
> Umlaut-letters so I type them as "a for example. Unfortunately these are not
> converted to the appropriate german Umlaut-letters but stay unchanged in the
> bookmarks. I guess this question has been answered before, but, how can I
> tell ConTeXt (or TeX) to process the original Umlaut-letters in the tex-file
> so that I can type them directly without having to use the "a notation. That
> would make the typing easeir and cure the bookmark problem.

Does typing them directly not work? Probably some font issue, i.e. the
character value of your "a doesn't match your font. It can work (does
on my system).

> Ok, thanks for the template. I'll start playing around with it.

It's only a template :-)

--
Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

@ 2002-01-31 16:25   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-31 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Berend wrote

>Not really. Type your own TeX code between \startstandardmakeup
>.. \stopstandardmakeup.
>
>Some example:
>
>\startstandardmakeup
>
>\startfiguretext
>   [left]
>   {none}
>   %{\externalfigure[eposix-bw.png]}
>   {\externalfigure[eposix.png]}
>\start
>\ss
>{\switchtobodyfont[48pt] \eposix\par}
>\blank[big]
>\bfb
>\rightaligned{The definitive and complete}
>\rightaligned{Eiffel to Standard C and}
>\rightaligned{POSIX 1003.1 binding}
>
>\blank[6.4cm]
>
>\leftaligned{{\it written by Berend de Boer}}
>\stop
>\stopfiguretext
>
>\stopstandardmakeup

another options is to use layers:

\definelayer[titlepage]

\setupbackgrounds[page][background=titlepage]

\setlayer[titlepage][x=4cm,y=6cm]{\bfd Whow}

\setlayer[titlepage][x=6cm,y=8cm]{\bfc It Works]

\startstandardmakeup
   % force page, \setlayer may go here as well
\stopstandardmakeup

this permits pretty hefty title pages

@ 2002-01-31 18:11         ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2002-01-31 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Klaus Herrmann <kh@ivs.tu-berlin.de> writes:

> Berend de Boer wrote:
>
> > Klaus Herrmann <kh@ivs.tu-berlin.de> writes:
> >
> > > Ok, that works fine. Thank you.
> > >
> > > However, another problem comes into play here. I'm writing a
> > > german text with Umlaut-letters so I type them as "a for
> > > example. Unfortunately these are not converted to the
> > > appropriate german Umlaut-letters but stay unchanged in the
> > > bookmarks. I guess this question has been answered before, but,
> > > how can I tell ConTeXt (or TeX) to process the original
> > > Umlaut-letters in the tex-file so that I can type them directly
> > > without having to use the "a notation. That would make the
> > > typing easeir and cure the bookmark problem.
> >
> > Does typing them directly not work? Probably some font issue, i.e. the
> > character value of your "a doesn't match your font. It can work (does
> > on my system).
>
> Unfortunately, my ConTeXt installation (or rather TeX, I guess)
> omits umlauts that are typed directly. Back in the old LaTeX-days I
> would use
>
> \usepackage{german}
>
> which worked perfectly. But that's no option in ConTeXt. Is there
> any similarly simple solution to the problem in ConTeXt?

I suppose so, there are various users on this list. BTW, try replying
explicitly to the list. This lists defaults (stupid IMO) is to reply
to the author, not to the list.

> > > Ok, thanks for the template. I'll start playing around with it.
> >
> > It's only a template :-)
>
> Then I guess it's not a good idea to simply patse it onto the front
> page of my dissertation, is it? ;-)

I always wanted to have a dissertation, but not to write one, this is
perhaps the ideal situation :-)

--
Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: PDF-bookmarks and title pages
@ 2002-02-01 20:32     ` Johannes Hüsing
From: Johannes Hüsing @ 2002-02-01 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 05:25:04PM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:

[...]
> another options is to use layers:
>
> \definelayer[titlepage]

Hans,

is there already documentation about layers? I am puzzled
trying to separate the concept from overlays.

Greetings

Johannes

--
Johannes Hüsing   There is something fascinating about science. One gets
hannes@ruhrau.de  such wholesale returns of conjecture from such a

* Re: PDF-bookmarks and title pages
@ 2002-02-02  9:55       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-02-02  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 09:32 PM 2/1/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 05:25:04PM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>[...]
> >
> > another options is to use layers:
> >
> > \definelayer[titlepage]
> >

>Hans,
>
>is there already documentation about layers? I am puzzled
>trying to separate the concept from overlays.

there is some explanation of layers in the metafun manual.

layers are kind of related to overlays, consider them a structure that is
meant to be used in layers

they collect content and permit positioning and moving around, the layer
content either or not can be repeated, and tight to (named and numbered)
pages; currently i'm playing with prebuild layer options for adding
text/graphics etc to pages so that one can create rather complex title pages

[actually, it would be nice to have a graphical user interface to layers]

@ 2002-02-03 20:10         ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-02-03 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Samstag, 2. Februar 2002 10:55 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> [actually, it would be nice to have a graphical user interface to layers]

Oh, I presume, as far as I know you, in about a year or so we get a nice
layout application (written in Perl/Tk ??) that uses ConTeXt internally...?

Grütze für alle!
Hraban.

* Re: PDF-bookmarks and title pages
@ 2002-02-04  8:36           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-02-04  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 09:10 PM 2/3/2002 +0100, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>Am Samstag, 2. Februar 2002 10:55 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> > [actually, it would be nice to have a graphical user interface to layers]
>
>Oh, I presume, as far as I know you, in about a year or so we get a nice
>layout application (written in Perl/Tk ??) that uses ConTeXt internally...?

maybe ... could be a good execise in python/tk -)

@ 2002-02-04 19:31         ` Johannes Hüsing
From: Johannes Hüsing @ 2002-02-04 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 10:55:38AM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
[me:]
> >is there already documentation about layers? I am puzzled
> >trying to separate the concept from overlays.
>
> there is some explanation of layers in the metafun manual.
>
> layers are kind of related to overlays, consider them a structure that is
> meant to be used in layers

That's what I mean :-) overlays superimpose too.

> they collect content and permit positioning and moving around,

to my mind the main distinction to overlays.

> the layer
> content either or not can be repeated, and tight to (named and numbered)
> pages; currently i'm playing with prebuild layer options for adding
> text/graphics etc to pages so that one can create rather complex title pages
>
> [actually, it would be nice to have a graphical user interface to layers]

I see many-a-program shy away from rendering postscript or PDF (Microsoft
products as well as eg tgif), so I'm always under the impression that it
is not a trivial task to build anything like that.

Greetings

Johannes
--
Johannes Hüsing   There is something fascinating about science. One gets
hannes@ruhrau.de  such wholesale returns of conjecture from such a
                  trifling investment of fact.                Mark Twain

* ConTeXt layout app (was: PDF-bookmarks and title pages)
@ 2002-02-04 19:33             ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-02-04 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Montag, 4. Februar 2002 09:36 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> >Oh, I presume, as far as I know you, in about a year or so we get a nice
> >layout application (written in Perl/Tk ??) that uses ConTeXt
> > internally...?
> maybe ... could be a good execise in python/tk -)

Oh, my wife is looking forward to using it! (And, sure, me too!)
I'd like to support the project, but I don't know where to steal the time,
for I presume it would/will be a rather endless try... (And I don't plan to
learn neither Python nor C, not even Tcl.)

(My next big ConTeXt project is to transfer a magazine layout from
QuarkXPress, I prattled about already... But first I've to understand much
enough to finish my presentation for Erlangen.)

Best wishes!
Hraban.

* Re: ConTeXt layout app (was: PDF-bookmarks and title pages)
@ 2002-02-05  8:41               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-02-05  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 08:33 PM 2/4/2002 +0100, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

>(My next big ConTeXt project is to transfer a magazine layout from
>QuarkXPress, I prattled about already... But first I've to understand much
>enough to finish my presentation for Erlangen.)

ah, remind me then that i show you a few tricks; right now i'm implementing
a (tricky but nice) quark design -)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server:
www.pragma-pod.nl

* complex layout (was ConTeXt layout app)
@ 2002-02-05 17:43                 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-02-05 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Dienstag, 5. Februar 2002 09:41 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> >(My next big ConTeXt project is to transfer a magazine layout from
> >QuarkXPress,
> ah, remind me then that i show you a few tricks; right now i'm implementing
> a (tricky but nice) quark design -)

The basic layout is not that difficult (ok, I must learn a bit of MetaPost to
draw some boxes), but it's a very flexible design: It has a grid of 5 "layout
columns" of which I use two-by-two or only-three together on a page, depending
how the article fits. The "unused" columns I use for marginals, notes, little
pictures etc. But pictures may use one of a triple column and the single
beneath. Ehm, can you imagine?

(all are right pages)
grid:          two-column:    triple-column:
____________   ____________   ____________
|           |  |           |  |           |
| # # # # # |  | ### ### # |  | # ##### # |
| # # # # # |  | ### ### # |  | # ##### # |
| # # # # # |  | ### ### # |  | # ##### # |
| # # # # # |  | ### ### # |  | # ##### # |
| # # # # # |  | ### ### # |  | # ##### # |
| # # # # # |  | ### ### # |  | # ##### # |
| # # # # # |  | ### ### # |  | # ##### # |
------------   ------------   ------------

Titles go over   #######          #####     (plus margin for short texts)
Pictures use     ###     #      ###     #
or               #######          #####
or                   #####
or full width or even to the edge (with bleed).

All text is in grid and raggedbottom.
All pictures are in grid (sit on line and end at x-height).

It's a rather visual thing, but I think it's doable with ConTeXt.
But not quick and at the moment.

Grüßlis vom Hraban!

* Re: ConTeXt layout app (was: PDF-bookmarks and title pages)
@ 2002-02-06  8:20                 ` Dan Seracu
From: Dan Seracu @ 2002-02-06  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> At 08:33 PM 2/4/2002 +0100, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>
> >(My next big ConTeXt project is to transfer a magazine layout from
> >QuarkXPress, I prattled about already... But first I've to understand
much
> >enough to finish my presentation for Erlangen.)
>
> ah, remind me then that i show you a few tricks; right now i'm
implementing
> a (tricky but nice) quark design -)

Hey! I am intrested in this too! I am very intrested in making (almost)
visual designs --- that are not possible in LaTeX --- with ConTeXt! And,
unfortunately, I did not found any documentation on the Net for complex
ConTeXt page layout.

Dan Seracu

* Re: ConTeXt layout app (was: PDF-bookmarks and title pages)
@ 2002-02-06 18:32                   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-02-06 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Mittwoch, 6. Februar 2002 09:20 schrieb Dan Seracu:
> Hey! I am intrested in this too! I am very intrested in making (almost)
> visual designs --- that are not possible in LaTeX --- with ConTeXt! And,
> unfortunately, I did not found any documentation on the Net for complex
> ConTeXt page layout.

Oh, I wouldn't say that there wasn't enough docu!
But for complex layout you must collect it from different manuals, and you
must have some fantasy to figure out, how to "abuse" some features.

Ok, there are quite some undocumented features. (Don't know if
everything is in the beta, what Hans uses...)

And it's no fault to speak MetaPost fluently... (That's a gap in my
knowledge.)

Grüßlis vom Hraban!

* Re: ConTeXt layout app (was: PDF-bookmarks and title pages)
@ 2002-02-08  9:02                     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-02-08  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG ConTeXt

At 07:32 PM 2/6/2002 +0100, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>Am Mittwoch, 6. Februar 2002 09:20 schrieb Dan Seracu:
> > Hey! I am intrested in this too! I am very intrested in making (almost)
> > visual designs --- that are not possible in LaTeX --- with ConTeXt! And,
> > unfortunately, I did not found any documentation on the Net for complex
> > ConTeXt page layout.
>
>Oh, I wouldn't say that there wasn't enough docu!
>But for complex layout you must collect it from different manuals, and you
>must have some fantasy to figure out, how to "abuse" some features.
>
>Ok, there are quite some undocumented features. (Don't know if
>everything is in the beta, what Hans uses...)
>
>And it's no fault to speak MetaPost fluently... (That's a gap in my
>knowledge.)

i have plans for a manual on systematic style design later this year

I'm also thinking of an on-line context magazine, something where we can
experiment with new layout things and where users can express their
experiences. Of course we then need content -) This can eventually evolve
in a test suite and example base.

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server:
www.pragma-pod.nl

* Contributions :: Locations
@ 2002-02-12 22:09                       ` Michael Hallgren
From: Michael Hallgren @ 2002-02-12 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Curious to know if there is somewhere a pointer to online locations
of various ConTeXT contributions, for example m-math, m-bib,..?

Being a curious and satisfied ConTexT user.

mh

* Re: Contributions :: Locations
@ 2002-02-14 14:38                         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2002-02-14 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi Michael,

The bib module is here:

http://www.elvenkind.com/~taco/bibmod/

You need to fetch m-bib.zip

The math module is broken at the moment (at least my version is, there
are conflicts with the current version of ConTeXt), but some people
on the list were working on that so perhaps one of them has a link
available.

Greetings, Taco

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: Contributions :: Locations
@ 2002-02-16  9:49                           ` Michael Hallgren
From: Michael Hallgren @ 2002-02-16  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Michael Hallgren, ntg-context

Quoting Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>:

Hi Taco,

> Hi Michael,
>
> The bib module is here:
>
> http://www.elvenkind.com/~taco/bibmod/
>
> You need to fetch m-bib.zip

Thanks.

> The math module is broken at the moment (at least my version is, there
> are conflicts with the current version of ConTeXt), but some people
> on the list were working on that so perhaps one of them has a link
> available.

I see. Thanks again.

Cheers

mh