* Re: another example of fonts (pk files not found)
       [not found] <200202010047.BAA22628@smail.let.uu.nl>
@ 2002-02-01  9:05 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-02-01  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

[forwarded, please use address known to list]

Am Montag, 28. Januar 2002 12:07 hast du geschrieben:
> > there is ttf2afm but i'm not sure how complete the afm's will be
>
>with ttf2afm (from pdftex) I have had several problems:
>- problems with metrics:
>   o wrong linedistance
>   o missing lineends
>   o wrong heights for compound characters
>- since ttf fonts can be on a 4000x4000 grid and Type1 only on 1000x1000
>   there must be some scaling that ttf2afm does not ...
>
>But there is a good alternative with ttf2pt1.  From this you only need the
>function to produce the afm!
>
>Unfortunately, I have no time to make a suitable document about my
>experience with a ttf family for setting some documents with ConTeXt and
>LaTeX.
>
>Uwe
>
>--
>mailto:uwe.koloska@mailbox.tu-dresden.de
>http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~koloska
>--                                    --
>right now the web page is in german only
>but this will change as time goes by ;-)

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server:
www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: another example of fonts (pk files not found)
@ 2002-01-28 11:07   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-28 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Andreas Ulbrich, ntg-context

At 08:13 AM 1/27/2002 -0600, Bill McClain wrote:

>I've just started experimenting with truetype files. pdftexman.pdf shows
>that they can be referenced in a map file just like type1 fonts, using
>xxx.ttf for the outline file name instead of xxx.pfb. You have to
>generate a tfm file, of course. This works, but the letter spacing is
>wrong for the samples I've tried, so I need to investigate more.

there is ttf2afm but i'm not sure how complete the afm's will be

>There has been talk of a FAQ recently. Somewhat presumptuously, I am
>workining on a context/pdftex help page, which will serve merely to help
>beginners like me over some of the problems I have encountered while
>learning tex and context. Font definition and selection will be a big
>section.

sounds good

Hans

@ 2002-01-27 18:37 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-27 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 02:00 AM 1/27/2002 +0100, Andreas Ulbrich wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I know that the font situation has been explained quite often and I have
>also read the according manuals, but I didn't manage to install a font
>properly. Hopefully some of came along the same problem and can offer a
>quick solution.

>texfont --vendor=bitstream --collection=charter --make --install

with regards to bitstream fonts: beware! it's a nine char path name and in
some distributions it's trucated to 8, which may give problems with
locating the files

>This runs as expected. Then I instruct MikTeX to refresh its file
>databases because texfont failes to do so (usage message is printed).
>
>Warning: pdfetex (file texnansi-raw-bchri): Font texnansi-raw-bchbi at 600
>not found

it looks like the map file is not loaded (this is a pdftex specific
message, only issued in the final stage; the tfm file was found all right);
either let context load the map file, or add an entry to pdftex.cfg
specifying the map file

Hans

>So obviously pdfetex cannot build .pk files. As far as I (I'm a
>(context|latex) user only, never really cared how it works behind the
>scenes) understand these are rasterised versions of the font.

well, i assume that you care to have the outlines instead of bitmaps -)

>My questions are:
>
>1. Why does pdfetex need rasterised font. I thought it uses vector fonts only?

this is just an escape; when the font sources present, pdftex will even
call metafont to generate the fonts

>2. How can I get this working?
>
>Ah yes: MikTex 2.6, latest context beta, Windows XP

just correct the map files and it should work

Hans

@ 2002-01-27 14:13 ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-01-27 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Andreas Ulbrich wrote:

> Warning: pdfetex (file texnansi-raw-bchri): Font texnansi-raw-bchbi at
> 600 not found

I had this also, and Hans has mentioned the fix a couple of times
recently. For me, it was because the .map file describing the relation
between the font name and outline file (tfm -> pfb) was not found. The
log will have a message something like "need map file..." which means
"need it and can't find it." If tex can't find an outline file, it drops
back and tries to find or generate a bitmap font.

The sample job which texfont generates has \loadmapfile[...] in it, but
this does not work unless

   \autoloadmapfilestrue

is set in your cont-sys.tex file. By default, it is commented out. Note
that you can place a test copy of this (or any other tex-related) file
in the current directory for experimentation purposes, and it will be
found first.

Alternatively, you can add a +map entry to pdftex.cfg, or add the new
map lines directly to pdftex.map. Neither of these are as convenient has
having the map files located and loaded automatically, as above.

When I use \autoloadmapfilestrue, I get a bunch of warning messages
about duplicated definitions, but they seen harmless.

I've just started experimenting with truetype files. pdftexman.pdf shows
that they can be referenced in a map file just like type1 fonts, using
xxx.ttf for the outline file name instead of xxx.pfb. You have to
generate a tfm file, of course. This works, but the letter spacing is
wrong for the samples I've tried, so I need to investigate more.

There has been talk of a FAQ recently. Somewhat presumptuously, I am
workining on a context/pdftex help page, which will serve merely to help
beginners like me over some of the problems I have encountered while
learning tex and context. Font definition and selection will be a big
section.

-Bill

* Re: another example of fonts (pk files not found)
@ 2002-01-27  1:00 Andreas Ulbrich
From: Andreas Ulbrich @ 2002-01-27  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I know that the font situation has been explained quite often and I have
also read the according manuals, but I didn't manage to install a font
properly. Hopefully some of came along the same problem and can offer a
quick solution.

At first I thought the problem arise from the fact that I use a font
converted from TTF. But I tried the procedure with an arbitrary Type1
font (Bitstream Charter ripped out of ghostscript) with the same result.

I installed the fonts with the following command

texfont --vendor=bitstream --collection=charter --make --install

This runs as expected. Then I instruct MikTeX to refresh its file
databases because texfont failes to do so (usage message is printed).

When trying to run texexec over the generated sample file context spits
out following messages:

Warning: pdfetex (file texnansi-raw-bchri): Font texnansi-raw-bchri at
600 not found
name: texnansi-raw-bchr, dpi=600, bdpi=600, mag=magstep(0.0)
makemf --verbose texnansi-raw-bchr
cannot find texnansi-raw-bchr source file.
ttf2pk -q -n texnansi-raw-bchr 600
hbf2gf -q -p texnansi-raw-bchr 600
Consulting F:\texmf\miktex\config\config.makepk...
Consulting F:\texmf\dvips\config\config.ps...
makepk: don't know how to make texnansi-raw-bchr.pk!

And the .log contains such lines:

Warning: pdfetex (file texnansi-raw-bchri): Font texnansi-raw-bchbi at
600 not found

So obviously pdfetex cannot build .pk files. As far as I (I'm a
(context|latex) user only, never really cared how it works behind the
scenes) understand these are rasterised versions of the font.

My questions are:

1. Why does pdfetex need rasterised font. I thought it uses vector fonts
only?

2. How can I get this working?

Ah yes: MikTex 2.6, latest context beta, Windows XP

Many thanks,

Andreas