* MetaFun Shading
@ 2002-02-10 15:20 Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2002-02-10 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

i have a request for a new shading method in MetaFun.
Is it possible to add a macro that fills a closed path
with a shade of two colors where the first color is in the
centre of the area and the second color along the path.
The attached image should illustrate what i mean.

In Gimp this fillmode is called "Shapeburst" and has
3 variants: angular, spherical and dimpled. It would be nice
when these variants could be supported too.

In the PDF-Specs i found no direct support, but since Gimp
has also only the two colors and the path there must exist
a function to calculate this. Maybe this function can be
"borrowed" from Gimp and implemented as Type1 shading.
Or if somebody has Adobe Illustrator and if it supports
that fill style after PDF-Export it can be found, how
to implement it.

Unfortunately i have not much programming experience,
thus i can not help, neither in "borrowing" the function
nor implementing it in TeX/PDF. But maybe somebody has -)

Thanks in advance. Regards,
  Jens

[-- Attachment #2: path_shading.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 10954 bytes --]

* Re: MetaFun Shading
@ 2002-02-11  9:02 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-02-11  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 04:20 PM 2/10/2002 +0100, Jens-Uwe Morawski wrote:

>i have a request for a new shading method in MetaFun.
>Is it possible to add a macro that fills a closed path
>with a shade of two colors where the first color is in the
>centre of the area and the second color along the path.
>The attached image should illustrate what i mean.

looks like function based shading, or maybe a mesh

>In Gimp this fillmode is called "Shapeburst" and has
>3 variants: angular, spherical and dimpled. It would be nice
>when these variants could be supported too.
>
>In the PDF-Specs i found no direct support, but since Gimp
>has also only the two colors and the path there must exist
>a function to calculate this. Maybe this function can be
>"borrowed" from Gimp and implemented as Type1 shading.
>Or if somebody has Adobe Illustrator and if it supports
>that fill style after PDF-Export it can be found, how
>to implement it.

i do have illustrator but i'm not fluent [i will have a look later]; rev
engeneering is indeed the way to here

Hans

BTW, since i have now cmyk shades too, transparent shades are next on my
agenda
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server:
www.pragma-pod.nl