* Chapter headers and styles
@ 2002-02-25 11:32 Jaroslav Snajdr
From: Jaroslav Snajdr @ 2002-02-25 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I have several problems with customizing the layout of chapter headers.

1. I make an index with command \completeindex, which generates numbered
\chapter. I want it to be a unnumbered \title. How to do this? I saw a
hardcoded \systemsuppliedchapter in core-reg.tex.

2. I want \titles to appear in table of contents. Up to now,
\completecontent worked fine for me.

3. I want my chapter headers to appear as:

Chapter 1 (small font)

One of My Chapters (big font)

--------------rule------------------

The simplest quick solution

\def\ChapterTitle#1#2{{\ssbfa #1}\crlf {\ssbfc #2} \crlf \hairline}
\setuphead[chapter][command=\ChapterTitle]

doesn't work. First, the \crlf is ignored. Second, the fonts are ignored
and replaced by default values, or the values I specify in style= option
of \setuphead.

4. I want Czech sorting in the index and Czech alphabet in indicators.
Any support in ConTeXt/texutil for this? I achieved proper sorting by
some hacks in texutil.pl, but that was an ugly solution.

Regards,
Jaroslav Snajdr

* Re: Chapter headers and styles
@ 2002-02-25 12:14 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-02-25 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:32 PM 2/25/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have several problems with customizing the layout of chapter headers.
>
>1. I make an index with command \completeindex, which generates numbered
>\chapter. I want it to be a unnumbered \title. How to do this? I saw a
>hardcoded \systemsuppliedchapter in core-reg.tex

\startappendices
   \completeindex
\stopappendices

or

\startbackmatter
   \completeindex
\stopbackmatter

or

\titel{Index}

\placeregister[index]

>2. I want \titles to appear in table of contents. Up to now,
>\completecontent worked fine for me.

only \chapter etc end up in tocs, and their numbers turn on and off
depending on the sectionblock (frontmatter, maintext, appendices,
backmatter); you can define a sectionhead yourself, turn off the number and
add the associated list to the toc (is in manual)

>3. I want my chapter headers to appear as:
>
>Chapter 1 (small font)
>
>One of My Chapters (big font)
>
>--------------rule------------------
>
>The simplest quick solution
>
>\def\ChapterTitle#1#2{{\ssbfa #1}\crlf {\ssbfc #2} \crlf \hairline}
>\setuphead[chapter][command=\ChapterTitle]
>
>doesn't work. First, the \crlf is ignored. Second, the fonts are ignored

put a \vbox around it -> #1#2{\vbox{...}}

>and replaced by default values, or the values I specify in style= option
>of \setuphead.

style=\ss
textstyle=\bfa
numberstyle=\bfc

>4. I want Czech sorting in the index and Czech alphabet in indicators.
>Any support in ConTeXt/texutil for this? I achieved proper sorting by
>some hacks in texutil.pl, but that was an ugly solution.

if i'm right david antos made czech sorting rules, but i'm not sure if
everything is already in the current context (i know i should know -) i
shifted around so many mails and code that i have to have a close look

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server:
www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Chapter headers and styles
@ 2002-02-25 12:21 ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2002-02-25 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Jaroslav Snajdr <jsnajdr@kerio.com> writes:

> 1. I make an index with command \completeindex, which generates numbered
> \chapter. I want it to be a unnumbered \title. How to do this? I saw a
> hardcoded \systemsuppliedchapter in core-reg.tex.

Perhaps by placing your own chapter and use \placeindex?

> 3. I want my chapter headers to appear as:
>
> Chapter 1 (small font)
>
> One of My Chapters (big font)
>
> --------------rule------------------
>
> The simplest quick solution
>
> \def\ChapterTitle#1#2{{\ssbfa #1}\crlf {\ssbfc #2} \crlf \hairline}
> \setuphead[chapter][command=\ChapterTitle]
>
> doesn't work. First, the \crlf is ignored. Second, the fonts are ignored
> and replaced by default values, or the values I specify in style= option
> of \setuphead.

Put things in a \vbox (or frame) something like:

\framed[frame=off]{#1\par\#2}

untested code, just to give you an idea.

> 4. I want Czech sorting in the index and Czech alphabet in indicators.
> Any support in ConTeXt/texutil for this? I achieved proper sorting by
> some hacks in texutil.pl, but that was an ugly solution.

I'm afraid this is the only solution, but perhaps Hans has a better one.

--
Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: Chapter headers and styles
@ 2002-02-25 13:15   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-02-25 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jaroslav Snajdr, ntg-context

At 01:21 PM 2/25/2002 +0100, Berend de Boer wrote:

>Put things in a \vbox (or frame) something like:
>
>\framed[frame=off]{#1\par\#2}
>
>untested code, just to give you an idea.

if you want a multiline framed test, you need to set align=normal (or
otherwise)

@ 2002-02-25 14:02   ` David Antos
From: David Antos @ 2002-02-25 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 01:14:04PM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
> >4. I want Czech sorting in the index and Czech alphabet in indicators.
> >Any support in ConTeXt/texutil for this? I achieved proper sorting by
> >some hacks in texutil.pl, but that was an ugly solution.
>
> if i'm right david antos made czech sorting rules, but i'm not sure if
> everything is already in the current context (i know i should know -) i
> shifted around so many mails and code that i have to have a close look

Not me, but Tom Hudec. I'm nearly sure it is not in the current version.
(Do you want me to send you Tom's files, Hans?)

D.A.

* Re: Chapter headers and styles
@ 2002-02-25 14:46   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-02-25 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Monday 25 February 2002 07:14, you wrote:
> At 12:32 PM 2/25/2002 +0100, you wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I have several problems with customizing the layout of chapter
> > headers.
> >
> >1. I make an index with command \completeindex, which generates
> > numbered \chapter. I want it to be a unnumbered \title. How to do
> > this? I saw a hardcoded \systemsuppliedchapter in core-reg.tex
>
> \startappendices
>    \completeindex
> \stopappendices
>
> or
>
> \startbackmatter
>    \completeindex
> \stopbackmatter
>
> or
>
> \titel{Index}
>
> \placeregister[index]
>
> >2. I want \titles to appear in table of contents. Up to now,
> >\completecontent worked fine for me.
>
> only \chapter etc end up in tocs, and their numbers turn on and off
> depending on the sectionblock (frontmatter, maintext, appendices,
> backmatter); you can define a sectionhead yourself, turn off the
> number and add the associated list to the toc (is in manual)
>
> >3. I want my chapter headers to appear as:
> >
> >Chapter 1 (small font)
> >
> >One of My Chapters (big font)
> >
> >--------------rule------------------
> >
> >The simplest quick solution
> >
> >\def\ChapterTitle#1#2{{\ssbfa #1}\crlf {\ssbfc #2} \crlf
> > \hairline} \setuphead[chapter][command=\ChapterTitle]
> >
> >doesn't work. First, the \crlf is ignored. Second, the fonts are
> > ignored
>
> put a \vbox around it -> #1#2{\vbox{...}}
>
> >and replaced by default values, or the values I specify in style=
> > option of \setuphead.
>
> style=\ss
> textstyle=\bfa
> numberstyle=\bfc
>
> >4. I want Czech sorting in the index and Czech alphabet in
> > indicators. Any support in ConTeXt/texutil for this? I achieved
> > proper sorting by some hacks in texutil.pl, but that was an ugly
> > solution.
>
> if i'm right david antos made czech sorting rules, but i'm not sure
> if everything is already in the current context (i know i should
> know -) i shifted around so many mails and code that i have to have
> a close look
>
> Hans

If the problem of sorting refers to what we call in America a
back-of-book index then Xindy has a fairly complete solution.

So what would be needed is a macro to write-immediate the index
item to a file, and another set of macros (like those in eplain)
to read them back in again. Since Xindy already exists it should not
be necessary to reinvent the wheel. All the heavy lifting is already
done in Xindy :-)

I may work on this just for the exercise.

Of course Xindy is a bit beta-ish but that should be no problem for
dedicated TeX hackers :-)

John Culleton

* Re: Chapter headers and styles
@ 2002-02-25 15:26     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-02-25 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 03:02 PM 2/25/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 01:14:04PM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
> > >4. I want Czech sorting in the index and Czech alphabet in indicators.
> > >Any support in ConTeXt/texutil for this? I achieved proper sorting by
> > >some hacks in texutil.pl, but that was an ugly solution.
> >
> > if i'm right david antos made czech sorting rules, but i'm not sure if
> > everything is already in the current context (i know i should know -) i
> > shifted around so many mails and code that i have to have a close look
>
>Not me, but Tom Hudec. I'm nearly sure it is not in the current version.

right, i should have known better

>(Do you want me to send you Tom's files, Hans?)

ok, after you've checked that things still work ok -)