* Papersize and pdf output.
@ 2002-03-07 15:30 John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-03-07 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here is the code at the top of my document:

\setuppapersize[S3][letter]

... but the pdf file is always comes out A4. No matter how
I manipulate the \papersize parameters it produces an A4
pdf file.

The pdftex commands will work however.

--
John Culleton, john@wexfordpress.com
   Able Indexers and Typesetters

* Re: Papersize and pdf output.
@ 2002-03-07 16:50 ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-03-07 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

John Culleton wrote:

> Here is the code at the top of my document:
>
> \setuppapersize[S3][letter]
>
> ... but the pdf file is always comes out A4. No matter how
> I manipulate the \papersize parameters it produces an A4
> pdf file.
>
> The pdftex commands will work however.

I've used this combo:

\definepapersize[TradePaper][width=6in,height=9in]
\setuppapersize[TradePaper][letter]

It works as expected. If S3 doesn't work you might try defining it
yourself, although I see it exists in page-lay.tex along with the other
layouts.

I tried a garbage value and note that texexec runs without complaint and
doesn't put anything in the log.

-Bill

* Re: Papersize and pdf output.
@ 2002-03-07 17:53   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-03-07 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Thursday 07 March 2002 11:50, Bill McClain wrote:

> I tried a garbage value and note that texexec runs without
> complaint and doesn't put anything in the log.
>
> -Bill

Many Context commands will fail to complain if you feed them an
invalid parameter. This makes debugging quite difficult :-(

My problem is not with the first parameter (S3) but the second --
(letter). No matter what I put in the second parameter the pdf
file comes out A4.

John Culleton

* Re: Papersize and pdf output.
@ 2002-03-07 18:21     ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-03-07 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Thursday 07 March 2002 12:53, John Culleton wrote:
> On Thursday 07 March 2002 11:50, Bill McClain wrote:
> > I tried a garbage value and note that texexec runs without
> > complaint and doesn't put anything in the log.
> >
> > -Bill
>
> Many Context commands will fail to complain if you feed them
> an invalid parameter. This makes debugging quite difficult :-(
>
> My problem is not with the first parameter (S3) but the second
> -- (letter). No matter what I put in the second parameter the
> pdf file comes out A4.
>
> John Culleton

Furtheer to the above: I changed the default in page-lay.tex to
letter/letter and it didn't seem to help. I tried the absolute
dummy
file below and it still comes out A4 size. There must be
something
else overriding my choices in another macro somewhere. I'll use
the
equivalent pdftex commands until someone suggests a Context
solution.

Test file (comes out A4)

\pdfoutput=1
\setuppapersize[legal][legal]
\starttext
Hello world
\stoptext

John Culleton

--
John Culleton, john@wexfordpress.com
   Able Indexers and Typesetters
      http://wexfordpress.com
<------------------------------------>
This Linux system at  1:20pm  up 14 days 24 min hrs  mins

* Re: Papersize and pdf output.
@ 2002-03-07 20:27     ` Daniel Joyce
From: Daniel Joyce @ 2002-03-07 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday 07 March 2002 11:53 am, John Culleton wrote:
> On Thursday 07 March 2002 11:50, Bill McClain wrote:
> > I tried a garbage value and note that texexec runs without
> > complaint and doesn't put anything in the log.
> >
> > -Bill
>
> Many Context commands will fail to complain if you feed them an
> invalid parameter. This makes debugging quite difficult :-(
>
> My problem is not with the first parameter (S3) but the second --
> (letter). No matter what I put in the second parameter the pdf
> file comes out A4.
>
> John Culleton

	It may just be your PDF viewer, not Context.

	On my context, the paper size commands work fine.

	But only Acroread seems to get the size of the page right when I view it.
( letter ).

	Ghostscript always uses a internal default ( A4 ) unless told otherwise
when viewing any PS/EPS/PDF files. Same goes for Ghostview.

	So, are you using Acroread to view the final file?

	Also, note that \setuppapersize must always have 2 paper parameters.
	\setuppapersize[letter] results in a letter size page on a sheet of A4.
	\setuppapersize[letter][letter] gives the correct result of a letter sized
page. The documentation says the second param is optional, but does not
tell you the default is A4.

	So...

	1) Use acroread to view resulting pdfs to ensure they are correct
	2) Use texexec -pdf to call pdftex. This apparently takes care of a lot of
work.
	3) be sure you use \setuppapersize[S3][letter]

	Daniel

* Re: Papersize and pdf output.
@ 2002-03-07 20:28       ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-03-07 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday 07 March 2002 15:27, Daniel Joyce wrote:
> On Thursday 07 March 2002 11:53 am, John Culleton wrote:
> > On Thursday 07 March 2002 11:50, Bill McClain wrote:
> > > I tried a garbage value and note that texexec runs without
> > > complaint and doesn't put anything in the log.
> > >
> > > -Bill
> >
> > Many Context commands will fail to complain if you feed them
> > an invalid parameter. This makes debugging quite difficult
> > :-(
> >
> > My problem is not with the first parameter (S3) but the
> > second -- (letter). No matter what I put in the second
> > parameter the pdf file comes out A4.
> >
> > John Culleton
>
> 	It may just be your PDF viewer, not Context.
>
> 	On my context, the paper size commands work fine.
>
> 	But only Acroread seems to get the size of the page right
> when I view it. ( letter ).
>
> 	Ghostscript always uses a internal default ( A4 ) unless told
> otherwise when viewing any PS/EPS/PDF files. Same goes for
> Ghostview.
>
> 	So, are you using Acroread to view the final file?
>
> 	Also, note that \setuppapersize must always have 2 paper
> parameters. \setuppapersize[letter] results in a letter size
> page on a sheet of A4. \setuppapersize[letter][letter] gives
> the correct result of a letter sized page. The documentation
> says the second param is optional, but does not tell you the
> default is A4.
>
> 	So...
>
> 	1) Use acroread to view resulting pdfs to ensure they are
> correct 2) Use texexec -pdf to call pdftex. This apparently
> takes care of a lot of work.
> 	3) be sure you use \setuppapersize[S3][letter]
>
> 	Daniel

It was the texexec -pdf command that was needed. Now it works.

I am going to make a notebook of little hints for Context. This
is the first entry :-)

John Culleton

* Re: Papersize and pdf output.
@ 2002-03-07 21:41         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-03-07 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Daniel Joyce, ntg-context

At 03:28 PM 3/7/2002 -0500, John Culleton wrote

>It was the texexec -pdf command that was needed. Now it works.
>
>I am going to make a notebook of little hints for Context. This
>is the first entry :-)

or \setupoutput[pdftex]

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server:
www.pragma-ade.nl

* Re: Papersize and pdf output.
@ 2002-03-07 21:44       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-03-07 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 02:27 PM 3/7/2002 -0600, Daniel Joyce wrote:

>         Ghostscript always uses a internal default ( A4 ) unless told
> otherwise
>when viewing any PS/EPS/PDF files. Same goes for Ghostview.

Has to do with the "eps clip" option. Play with this (options menu in
windows gsview).

@ 2002-03-07 21:58   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-03-07 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: john, ntg-context

At 10:50 AM 3/7/2002 -0600, Bill McClain wrote:
>John Culleton wrote:
> >
> > Here is the code at the top of my document:
> >
> > \setuppapersize[S3][letter]
> >
> > ... but the pdf file is always comes out A4. No matter how
> > I manipulate the \papersize parameters it produces an A4
> > pdf file.
> >
> > The pdftex commands will work however.
>
>I've used this combo:
>
>\definepapersize[TradePaper][width=6in,height=9in]
>\setuppapersize[TradePaper][letter]
>
>It works as expected. If S3 doesn't work you might try defining it
>yourself, although I see it exists in page-lay.tex along with the other
>layouts.

you may also want to say: \setuplayout[location=middle]

@ 2002-03-08 14:17           ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-03-08 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Daniel Joyce, ntg-context

On Thursday 07 March 2002 16:41, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 03:28 PM 3/7/2002 -0500, John Culleton wrote
>
> >It was the texexec -pdf command that was needed. Now it
> > works.
> >
> >I am going to make a notebook of little hints for Context.
> > This is the first entry :-)
>
> or \setupoutput[pdftex]
>
> Hans
---and that one works too! BTW this is why I asked for a complete
working example of a document. It would form a template or road
map
showing the most ocmmonly needed commands and how they are used.
The very brief document ``example.tex'' does this for pdftex.
Context
is much more elaborate but surely something could be worked out.

Eventually I will end up with my own template. But such a venture
could help me and all the other newbies get to that point and
reduce
the number of questions. Perhaps the existing manuals are too
complex to use as examples. But surely the source for e.g.,
``Fonts in Context'' would serve as a shorter but still useful
example?

For your consideration.

* Re: Papersize and pdf output.
@ 2002-03-11  0:07             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-03-11  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 09:17 AM 3/8/2002 -0500, John Culleton wrote:
>On Thursday 07 March 2002 16:41, Hans Hagen wrote:
> > At 03:28 PM 3/7/2002 -0500, John Culleton wrote
> >
> > >It was the texexec -pdf command that was needed. Now it
> > > works.
> > >
> > >I am going to make a notebook of little hints for Context.
> > > This is the first entry :-)
> >
> > or \setupoutput[pdftex]
> >
> > Hans
>---and that one works too! BTW this is why I asked for a complete
>working example of a document. It would form a template or road
>map
>showing the most ocmmonly needed commands and how they are used.
>The very brief document ``example.tex'' does this for pdftex.
>Context
>is much more elaborate but surely something could be worked out.

there is the pdftex manual that shows this (source can be downloaded from
www.pragma-ade.nl)

@ 2002-03-11 19:20             ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-03-11 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Am Freitag, 8. März 2002 15:17 schrieb John Culleton:
> BTW this is why I asked for a complete
> working example of a document. It would form a template or road
> map
> showing the most ocmmonly needed commands and how they are used.
> The very brief document ``example.tex'' does this for pdftex.
> Context
> is much more elaborate but surely something could be worked out.

You may have a look at my presentation templates (the handout edition isn't
completed yet) at http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
Even if the text is all in german, the command interface is english.

And there is the ConTeXt source of the pdfTeX manual at the pdfTeX page.

Greetlings from the Hraban!

* Re: Papersize and pdf output.
@ 2002-03-11 20:30               ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-03-11 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Sunday 10 March 2002 19:07, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 09:17 AM 3/8/2002 -0500, John Culleton wrote:
> >On Thursday 07 March 2002 16:41, Hans Hagen wrote:
> > > At 03:28 PM 3/7/2002 -0500, John Culleton wrote

> > > or \setupoutput[pdftex]
> > >
> > > Hans
> >
> >---and that one works too! BTW this is why I asked for a complete
> >working example of a document. It would form a template or road
> >map
> >showing the most ocmmonly needed commands and how they are used.
> >The very brief document ``example.tex'' does this for pdftex.
> >Context
> >is much more elaborate but surely something could be worked out.
>
> there is the pdftex manual that shows this (source can be
> downloaded from www.pragma-ade.nl)
>
> Hans

I looked but could not find the source. Is it under downloads?
Documentation? What it the exact file name?

Thanks

John

* Re: Papersize and pdf output.
@ 2002-03-11 20:34                 ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-03-11 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Monday 11 March 2002 15:30, John Culleton wrote:
> > there is the pdftex manual that shows this (source can be
> > downloaded from www.pragma-ade.nl)
> >
> > Hans
>
> I looked but could not find the source. Is it under downloads?
> Documentation? What it the exact file name?
>
> Thanks
>
> John
Never mind --- found it!

John C.