* Naming convention
@ 2002-03-14 23:21 Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-03-14 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I just wanted to say that I like the idea proposed by Idris Samawi Hamid
(was it here or on the Omega list?) of calling 'Gamma' the ConTeXt
format based on the Omega engine. Note that, since gamma is five
letters long, we can easily have gamma-en, gamma-nl, gamma-it and
so on and so forth, without breaking the eight-letter-rule.

I propose that 'native' support for this is added in texexec, so
that saying --make en --tex=omega creates gamma-en instead of
cont-en. This would allow someone to keep both formats on disk.
(Hans, if you want, I can send you a patch for this.)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Naming convention / web2c
@ 2002-03-15  8:37 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-03-15  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:21 AM 3/15/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I just wanted to say that I like the idea proposed by Idris Samawi Hamid
>(was it here or on the Omega list?) of calling 'Gamma' the ConTeXt
>format based on the Omega engine. Note that, since gamma is five
>letters long, we can easily have gamma-en, gamma-nl, gamma-it and
>so on and so forth, without breaking the eight-letter-rule.
>
>I propose that 'native' support for this is added in texexec, so
>that saying --make en --tex=omega creates gamma-en instead of
>cont-en. This would allow someone to keep both formats on disk.
>(Hans, if you want, I can send you a patch for this.)

Actually, omega should have a different fmt extension, say ofmt

The format clash is a rather general, and part of a wider problem that
web2c only supports one dimension of prefixing, which means for instance
that pdftex.cfg and similar files are also shared among apps; maybe a sheme
like

pdftex.context.somevar =
omega.context.somevar =

or some auto searching

texmf/web2c/omega
texmf/web2c/pdftex

is more future save (maybe we should discuss this with olaf and the tex
live gurus)

for the moment, you can do something:

OMEGA.TEXFORMATS = .;$TEXMF/omega/web2c

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server:
www.pragma-ade.nl

* Re[2]: Naming convention / web2c
@ 2002-03-15 11:33   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-03-15 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Friday, March 15, 2002 Hans Hagen wrote:

HH> Actually, omega should have a different fmt extension, say ofmt

Probably. But then again, pdfTeX should too. What would you use?
pfmt?

HH> The format clash is a rather general, and part of a wider problem that
HH> web2c only supports one dimension of prefixing, which means for instance
HH> that pdftex.cfg and similar files are also shared among apps;

This is why different names are used.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re[2]: Naming convention / web2c
@ 2002-03-15 11:43     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-03-15 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:33 PM 3/15/2002 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>Friday, March 15, 2002 Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>HH> Actually, omega should have a different fmt extension, say ofmt
>
>Probably. But then again, pdfTeX should too. What would you use?
>pfmt?

not a bad idea, actually, --fmt=blabla.pfmt is an option, but i' not sure
if format generation works that way too (no time now to look into it)

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server:
www.pragma-ade.nl

* Re[3]: Naming convention / web2c
@ 2002-03-15 13:24       ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-03-15 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Friday, March 15, 2002 Hans Hagen wrote:

HH> At 12:33 PM 3/15/2002 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>>Friday, March 15, 2002 Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>>HH> Actually, omega should have a different fmt extension, say ofmt
>>
>>Probably. But then again, pdfTeX should too. What would you use?
>>pfmt?

HH> not a bad idea, actually, --fmt=blabla.pfmt is an option, but i' not sure
HH> if format generation works that way too (no time now to look into it)

And then we'd need .pefmt for pdf-e-TeX ... uhm.

Regarding the *name* of the output, MiKTeX provides a --job-name
option which sets the \jobname to something different than the
input file name; does fpTeX have a similar option?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re[3]: Naming convention / web2c
@ 2002-03-15 16:56         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-03-15 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 02:24 PM 3/15/2002 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>Regarding the *name* of the output, MiKTeX provides a --job-name
>option which sets the \jobname to something different than the
>input file name; does fpTeX have a similar option?

no, but texexec has --result and --suffix=