* Goodbye for now
@ 2002-03-27 23:40 John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-03-27 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

First I want to say a big ``thank you'' to all in the
group who attempted to help me grasp the features of Context.
Hans Hagen of course, ever patient with a not-too-bright
newcomer, deserves special thanks.

Context is undoubtedly the best TeX based typesetting
system yet. It has a hundred or more hugely useful features.
And it works. But the font selection scheme is simply too
complex for this old man. I can see myself writing and
debugging dozens
of special scripts just to utilize the 39 standard
Adobe fonts I can use today with just a simple \font
statement. For straight text I can cheat and use a \font
statement. But the fonts used in special commmands are
an impenetrable mystery. And it is the special commands
like the table of contents macros, the text in the
margin feature, the asymmetric column layout and so
on that make Contex better than LaTeX, eplain and
everything else.

A part of the dificulty is the unwillingness to use
what is available, those ugly old 8x2 Berry font files.
So we get lost in an endless chain of synonyms pointing
to other synonyms.

So thanks again to one and all. Context is beyond my
grasp at this moment. If and when there is a major
simplification to the font selection scheme I may be
back. But I can't live with cmr10 as my only useful choice.

Best,

John Culleton

D O T E A S Y - "Join the web hosting revolution!"
             http://www.doteasy.com