* typescripts faq-in-progress
@ 2002-04-12 20:34 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2002-04-12 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear ConTeXtnicians:

I'm making progress understanding the typescripts model, though I have still not fully solved my problem. Please help set me straight and to complete and generalize what follows. I'm hoping the
following can serve as a template for a ConTeXt font how-to/faq, something which seems to be desperately needed. mfonts.pdf is really obscure for beginners, unfortunately.

Given a set of 2 raw fonts, one activates them in ConTeXt through the following 6-part procedure:

1. Determine the style, family, and encoding and write a typescript with a more user-friendly, pretty name for the raw font:

\starttypescript           [style]                      [family]           [encoding]
  \definefontsynonym [Pretty]                    [original]         [encoding=theencoding]
  \definefontsynonym [Pretty-Bold]            [originalb]       [encoding=theencodingenc]
\stoptypescript

The [encoding=theencoding] position may be left blank if the encoding is OT1 or  7-bit ascii. Is this correct?

2. There may be other fonts using the same style, so a more generic abstract style name is associated with the font:

\starttypescript         [style]                      [family]                         [name]
\definefontsynonym [Style]                      [Pretty sa 1.6]
\definefontsynonym [Style-Bold]              [Pretty-Bold sa 1.6]
\stoptypescript

3. Set up the appropriate sizes for the fonts with respect to one of the default style parameters,
rm, ss, tt, mm, cg, or hw.

\starttypescript   [style]                                                                             [default]  [size]
\definebodyfont [20.7pt, 17.3pt, 14.4pt, 12pt, 11pt, 10pt, 9pt, 8pt, 7pt]  [rm]         [default]
\stoptypescript

For what does the `default' option in the 2nd arg. to \starttypescript stand?
For what does the `default' option in the 3rd arg. to \definebodyfont stand?
Can one associate any style one pleases with, say, [rm], or is there more involved?

4. Combine the generic abstract style and size typescripts into a single font collection:

\starttypescript [collect]
\usetypescript  [style]   [family]    [name]
\usetypescript  [style]   [default]  [size]
\stoptypescript

5. Use the collection in a typeface which takes 6 parameters:

collection name
style parameter
style
family
!not sure what this is!
encoding/rscale options

\starttypescript [mycollect]
\definetypeface [collect] [rm] [style] [family] [default] [encoding=theencoding, rscale=thescalefactor]
\stoptypescript

What does `rscale' mean? What is the purpose of the style parameter here? This is an importan question because I think the crux of my problem is here as I will explain
below.

6. Place the above code into a file type-fam.To use the font issue the following:

\usetypescriptfile[type-fam]
\usetypescript[mycollect
\setupbodyfont[collect]

The font should work now. But see below!

Now I tried this but it's not working. I have discovered something which may be the source of the bug.

0. My two raw fonts are omarab and omarabb, located in \texmf\fonts\ovf\public\omega of any tex distribution.

% type-arabic.tex
%1. style, family, and encoding

\starttypescript [naskh] [omega] [default]
  \definefontsynonym [OmegaArabic]             [omarab]
  \definefontsynonym [OmegaArabic-Bold]        [omarabb]
\stoptypescript

%2. abstract style synonyms

\starttypescript [naskh] [omega] [name]
\definefontsynonym [Naskh]      [OmegaArabic sa 1.6]
\definefontsynonym [NaskhBold]  [OmegaArabic-Bold sa 1.6]
\stoptypescript

%3. sizes

\starttypescript [naskh] [default] [size]
\definebodyfont
[20.7pt, 17.3pt, 14.4pt, 12pt, 11pt, 10pt, 9pt, 8pt, 7pt] [rm] [default]
\stoptypescript

%4. final collection

\starttypescript [omarab]
\usetypescript [naskh] [omega] [name]
\usetypescript [naskh] [default] [size]
\stoptypescript

%5. typeface

\starttypescript [arabtest]
\definetypeface [omartest] [rm]
[naskh] [omega] [default] [rscale=1] % [encoding=default]
\stoptypescript

%6. invocation

\usetypescriptfile[type-arabic]
\usetypescript[arabtest]
\setupbodyfont[omartest]

==========================

When I follow the above steps, this is what happens:
====================
(./om-test4.tuo) (./om-test4.tuo)
systems        : begin file om-test4 at line 19
typescript     : [arabtest] [] []
(c:/TeXLive/texmf/tex/context/base/type-syn.tex)
(c:/TeXLive/texmf/tex/context/base/type-enc.tex)
(c:/TeXLive/texmf/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex)
(c:/TeXLive/texmf/tex/context/base/type-map.tex)
(c:/TeXLive/texmf/tex/context/base/type-spe.tex)
(c:/TeXLive/texmf/tex/context/base/type-exa.tex) (./type-arabic.tex
typeface       : [omartest] [rm] [naskh] [omega]
typescript     : [naskh] [omega] [name,default,default,special]
(c:/TeXLive/texmf/tex/context/base/type-syn.tex)
(c:/TeXLive/texmf/tex/context/base/type-enc.tex)
(c:/TeXLive/texmf/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex)
(c:/TeXLive/texmf/tex/context/base/type-map.tex)
(c:/TeXLive/texmf/tex/context/base/type-spe.tex)
(c:/TeXLive/texmf/tex/context/base/type-exa.tex) (./type-arabic.tex)
typescript     : [naskh] [default] [size]
(c:/TeXLive/texmf/tex/context/base/type-syn.tex)
(c:/TeXLive/texmf/tex/context/base/type-enc.tex)
(c:/TeXLive/texmf/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex)
(c:/TeXLive/texmf/tex/context/base/type-map.tex)
(c:/TeXLive/texmf/tex/context/base/type-spe.tex)
(c:/TeXLive/texmf/tex/context/base/type-exa.tex) (./type-arabic.tex))
Missing character: There is no ^^^^0242 in font cmr10!
:
:
======================

cmr10 is being called instead of omarab. But here is a clue:

If I replace `[rm]' with `[ss]' in step 3 alone,  I get cmr12 called;
If I replace `[rm]' with `[ss]' in step 3 and step5,  I get cmss10 called;
If I replace `[rm]' with `[ss]' in step 5 alone,  I get cmr10 called;

This all makes me think that I am missing at least one important step above. Can anyone tell us what that is?
I am getting really desperate here...

Again, I hope some of you will help me to develop this into a more general font faq.

Best wishes
Idris

Dr. Idris Samawi Hamid
Depatment of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80526

* Eureka! [was Re: typescripts faq-in-progress]
@ 2002-04-13 18:52 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2002-04-13 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I finally got a set of typescripts working! The problem, as I suspected, was in step 3:

>3. Set up the appropriate sizes for the fonts with respect to one of the default style parameters,
>rm, ss, tt, mm, cg, or hw.
>
>\starttypescript   [style]                                                                             [default]  [size]
>\definebodyfont [20.7pt, 17.3pt, 14.4pt, 12pt, 11pt, 10pt, 9pt, 8pt, 7pt]  [rm]         [default]
>\stoptypescript

The \definebodyfont line is the source of the problem. The [default] option is sending things back to computer modern.
This line should read

\definebodyfont [20.7pt, 17.3pt, 14.4pt, 12pt, 11pt, 10pt, 9pt, 8pt, 7pt]  [rm]
[tf=original, bf=originalb]

The list of options are in setup-en.pdf, pg. 9.

Part 4 and 5 of the textscripts how-to must be changed to

4.
\starttypescript [collect]
\usetypescript  [style]   [family]    [name]
\usetypescript  [style]   [family]  [size]
\stoptypescript

5.
\starttypescript [mycollect]
\definetypeface [collect] [rm] [style] [family] [family] [encoding=theencoding, rscale=thescalefactor]
\stoptypescript

I would still like to know what rscale means. I leave fixing type-arabic.tex as an exercise:-)
This will then serve the default omega arabic script fonts for anyone wishing to use them.

Question: In a previous email, Hans says:

"the rm, ss, tt cg, hw entries are predefined which means that they will be
recognized and have associated commands, if you want more (with as
restiction that they should have two char names) you can define them with
\definefontstyle; "

\definefontstyle is not mentioned in setup-en.pdf;  what are its options and arguments?
I really need this because, e.g. [rm] makes no sense in Arabic:->

Hans says further;

"in a similar fashion you can define \tfp|q|r if you want
or even map names onto families (math) etc etc"

What does "define \tfp|q|r" mean? Please explain.

Best wishes
Idris

==========================
Dr. Idris Samawi Hamid
Depatment of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80526

* Re: Eureka! [was Re: typescripts faq-in-progress]
@ 2002-04-13 22:17   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-04-13 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:52 PM 4/13/2002 -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

>I would still like to know what rscale means. I leave fixing
>type-arabic.tex as an exercise:-)
>This will then serve the default omega arabic script fonts for anyone
>wishing to use them.

the rscale permits you to mix different typefaces without the need to
define sizes:

say that you use palatino as rm, then it makes sense to use a computer
modern monospace as companion, in which case you can use rscale to scale
the tt relative to the rm, say 1.1

>Question: In a previous email, Hans says:
>
>"the rm, ss, tt cg, hw entries are predefined which means that they will be
>recognized and have associated commands, if you want more (with as
>restiction that they should have two char names) you can define them with
>\definefontstyle; "
>
>\definefontstyle is not mentioned in setup-en.pdf;  what are its options
>and arguments?

isn't it in the mfonts manual?

>I really need this because, e.g. [rm] makes no sense in Arabic:->

so, then i would opt for hw, i.e. handwriting -)

>Hans says further;
>
>"in a similar fashion you can define \tfp|q|r if you want
>or even map names onto families (math) etc etc"
>
>What does "define \tfp|q|r" mean? Please explain.

there are the tfa tfb tfc tfd sizes, but in the bodyfontenvironment
definition (see font-ini.tex) you can define extra sizes

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Eureka! [was Re: typescripts faq-in-progress]
@ 2002-04-13 22:31   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-04-13 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Samstag, 13. April 2002 20:52 schrieb Idris Samawi Hamid:
> I would still like to know what rscale means.

"relative scaling" -- if you make a font group with e.g. ss=Helvetica,
rm=Times etc. you must often adapt their sizes, at least if you use them
together on one line, that they fit together. So you can enlarge the smaller
font with rscale=1.2 etc.

--
Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---

* Re: Eureka! [was Re: typescripts faq-in-progress]
@ 2002-04-14  0:14     ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2002-04-14  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

>>I really need this because, e.g. [rm] makes no sense in Arabic:->
>
>so, then i would opt for hw, i.e. handwriting -)

I would prefer \cg, actually:-). But I'll have to define a few more in any case, as I develop a scholarly Arabic script font family for
Omega...

Best wishes
Idris

==========================
Dr. Idris Samawi Hamid
Depatment of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80526

* \definefontstyle
@ 2002-04-14  0:31     ` Idris Samawi Hamid
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2002-04-14  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

>>\definefontstyle is not mentioned in setup-en.pdf;  what are its options
>>and arguments?
>
>isn't it in the mfonts manual?

I did a search in the Reader, and it came up empty. Is there a new version of mfonts.pdf since TeXLive, 9/01?

Best wishes
Idris

==========================
Dr. Idris Samawi Hamid
Depatment of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80526

* small sizes
@ 2002-04-14  5:58       ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2002-04-14  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

More complications:-)

I see that small sizes for a given font must be defined. \tfa and \tfb work fine but \tfx and \tfxx don't do anything.

Here is my document setup:

\usetypescriptfile[type-arabic]
\usetypescript[arabtest]
\setupbodyfont[omarab]
\definebodyfontenvironment
[omarab] [10pt] [x=8pt, xx=6pt]

and here is my size stuff from type-arabic.tex:

\starttypescript [naskh] [omega] [size]
\definebodyfont
[20.7pt, 17.3pt, 14.4pt, 12pt, 11pt, 10pt, 9pt, 8pt, 7pt, 6pt] [rm]
[tf=omarab,bf=omarabb]
\stoptypescript

What am I missing here? Why are the larger sizes predefined but not the smaller ones?

Best wishes
Idris

==========================

@ 2002-04-14  9:56     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-04-14  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:31 AM 4/14/2002 +0200, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>Am Samstag, 13. April 2002 20:52 schrieb Idris Samawi Hamid:
> > I would still like to know what rscale means.
>
>"relative scaling" -- if you make a font group with e.g. ss=Helvetica,
>rm=Times etc. you must often adapt their sizes, at least if you use them
>together on one line, that they fit together. So you can enlarge the smaller
>font with rscale=1.2 etc.

it would be nice to have a 'reference font' and a list of optimal scale factors

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* ConTeXt bug (size-changing)?
@ 2002-04-14 21:28       ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2002-04-14 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear folks,

I'm still trying understand the size-changing model and have discovered something strange. Consider the following simple file. On ConTeXt from TeXLive, a straight texexec run (under pdfetex; omega gives the same results) gives
results very different from those on page 67 of mp-cb-en.pdf:

\starttext%

%\usetypescript[cmr]
%\setupbodyfont[cmr, 12pt] % redundant, right?

\showframe

This is a test

\tfa This is a test

\tfb This is a test

\tfx This is a test

\tfxx This is a test

This is a test

\showbodyfont [cmr]

\stoptext

In particular, \tfx gives a _larger_ result than the main text size and \tfxx gives a just slightly bolder version of the main text. There are other strange things as well. For example, in \showbodyfont, \tfa gives smaller text than \tf!

What's going on here? I think it will be very difficult getting my own typescripts in order if cmr itself is not configured right!

Best wishes
Idris (who has lost a lot of sleep over this)

P.S. Here is the latest version of type-arabic.tex, in case someone wants to try it and, hopefully, help me debug it! In this case \tfx and \tfxx do nothing at all.
I will donate the complete omlgc (latin, greek, and cyrillic) and omarab typescripts to ConTeXt once they r done, so anyone can use ConTeXt/Gamma with the default Omega font setup (I don't actually use omarab or omlgc
on a daily basis but they provide the best benchmark for fonts under Omega, and they r available in every TeX distribution).

Please help!
Idris
%==================================================
%type-arabic.tex
% encoding

\starttypescript [naskh] [omega] [default]
  \definefontsynonym [OmegaArabic]             [omarab]
  \definefontsynonym [OmegaArabic-Bold]        [omarabb]
\stoptypescript
%==================================================
%synonyms

\starttypescript [naskh] [omega] [name]
\definefontsynonym [Naskh]      [OmegaArabic]
\definefontsynonym [NaskhBold]  [OmegaArabic-Bold]
\stoptypescript
%==================================================
%sizes

\starttypescript [naskh] [default] [size]
  \definebodyfont
    [17.3pt,14.4pt,12pt,11pt,10pt,9pt,8pt,7pt,6pt,5pt,4pt]
    [rm] [default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [naskh] [dtp] [size]
  \definebodyfont
    [5pt,6pt,7pt,8pt,9pt,10pt,11pt,12pt,13pt,14pt,16pt,18pt,22pt,28pt]
    [rm] [default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [naskh] [omega] [size]
\definebodyfont
[20.7pt, 17.3pt, 14.4pt, 12pt, 11pt, 10pt, 9pt, 8pt, 7pt, 6pt] [rm]
[tf=omarab,bf=omarabb]
\stoptypescript
%===================================================
%final collection

\starttypescript [omarab]
\usetypescript [naskh] [omega,default,dtp] [default,name,size]
\usemathcollection[default]
\stoptypescript
%===================================================
%typeface

\starttypescript [arabtest]
\definetypeface [omarab] [rm]
[naskh] [omega] [omega] [rscale=1.6] % [encoding=default]
\stoptypescript
%======================================================
%======================================================
%Gamma test file
\pagedir TRT %
\bodydir TRT %
\textdir TRT %
\pardir TRT
\hoffset=-8.5cm

\setupoutput[dvips] \showframe

     \ocp\ArabUni=7arb2uni
     \ocp\UniCUni=uni2cuni
     \ocp\CUniArab=cuni2oar
     \ocplist\ArabicOCP=
     \addbeforeocplist 1 \ArabUni
     \addbeforeocplist 1 \UniCUni
     \addbeforeocplist 1 \CUniArab
     \nullocplist

\starttext%
\usetypescriptfile[type-arabic]
\usetypescript[arabtest]
\setupbodyfont[omarab] \baselineskip=3ex
\pushocplist \ArabicOCP

hadhaA 'iimtiHaAnuN % This is a test

\tfa hadhaA 'iimtiHaAnuN

\tfb hadhaA 'iimtiHaAnuN

\tfc hadhaA 'iimtiHaAnuN

\tfx hadhaA 'iimtiHaAnuN

\tfxx hadhaA 'iimtiHaAnuN

\popocplist %
\stoptext
==========================
Dr. Idris Samawi Hamid
Depatment of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80526

* Re: ConTeXt bug (size-changing)?
@ 2002-04-15  8:44         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-04-15  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 03:28 PM 4/14/2002 -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>Dear folks,
>
>I'm still trying understand the size-changing model and have discovered
>something strange. Consider the following simple file. On ConTeXt from
>TeXLive, a straight texexec run (under pdfetex; omega gives the same
>results) gives
>results very different from those on page 67 of mp-cb-en.pdf:
>
>\starttext
>This is a test
>\tfa This is a test
>\tfb This is a test
>\tfx This is a test
>\tfxx This is a test
>This is a test
>
>\showbodyfont [cmr]
>
>\stoptext

the x and xx sizes do a relative scaling, so, in your case tfx is smaller
than tfb

add { } around the lines and you'll see them relative to the main body font;

tx tfx etc are mainly used in \cap and \high/\low situations and not meant
for general size switching (use \switchtobodyfont[small] for that)

@ 2002-04-15  9:18         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-04-15  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi,

I cannot test the omega stuff (actualy there is a context omega otp
interface so you don't have to push and pop manually, more on that later)
because launching omega freezes my machine.

======= type-xxx.tex =======

\starttypescript [naskh] [omega] [name]

   \definefontsynonym [OmegaArabic]      [cmss10]   % [omarab]
   \definefontsynonym [OmegaArabic-Bold] [cmssbx10] % [omarabb]

   \definefontsynonym [Naskh]      [OmegaArabic]
   \definefontsynonym [NaskhBold]  [OmegaArabic-Bold]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [naskh] [omega] [size]

   \definebodyfont
     [20.7pt,17.3pt,14.4pt,12pt,11pt,10pt,9pt,8pt,7pt,6pt]
     [rm]
     [tf=Naskh,
      bf=NaskhBold]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [arabtest]

   \definebodyfontenvironment
     [omarab]
     [default]
     [interlinespace=5ex]

  \definetypeface [omarab] [rm] [naskh] [omega] [omega]

\stoptypescript

========== test.tex =============

\starttext

\usetypescriptfile[type-xxx]
\usetypescript[arabtest]

\setupbodyfont[omarab,12pt]

\input tufte

\bf \input tufte

\stoptext

works ok here, so if you swap in the omarab fonts ...

also, watch how we use Naskh in the definebodyfont [if you use Serif and
SerifBold, and map fonts onto SerifSlanted and so the second typescript can go]

@ 2002-04-15 15:48           ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2002-04-15 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

>I cannot test the omega stuff (actualy there is a context omega otp
>interface so you don't have to push and pop manually, more on that later)
>because launching omega freezes my machine.

Hmm,  I strongly suggest reporting this to the omega list. John and Yannis need more pressure from the community to produce a stable omega:-)
No new features, just stabilize what features r there.

>works ok here, so if you swap in the omarab fonts ...

Works like a charm (so far)! I am going to a conference this week; when I get back I'll write up the omlgc typescripts as well, test, and then post them, as well as a new font how-to
(I apologize in advance for wasting the bandwidth of the xperts but I hope the how-to will help later beginners who have the same questions).

Thnx a million!

Best wishes
Idris

==========================
Dr. Idris Samawi Hamid
Depatment of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80526

* One last thing:-)
@ 2002-04-15 21:34           ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2002-04-15 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Using type-xxx.tex and hans-test.tex, {\tf<variable> } works but \switchtobodyfont does not do anything. type-xxx.tex uses computer modern so anyone can try it with a default ConTeXt setup.
Please advise.

Another question: what does `global' stand for? Can I define my own size-changing arguments to \switchtobodyfont?

Thnx to all and especially Hans for your help and patience.

Best wishes
Idris

%--------------------hans-test.tex-----------------------
\starttext

\usetypescriptfile[type-xxx]
\usetypescript[arabtest]
\setupbodyfont[omarab,12pt]

This is a test % This is a test

\switchtobodyfont[big] This is a test

\switchtobodyfont[global] This is a test

\switchtobodyfont[small] This is a test

\switchtobodyfont[8pt] This is a test

\stoptext

%----------------type-xxx.tex-------------------------

@ 2002-04-16  1:36           ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2002-04-16  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Dear ConTeXtnicians,
There are two small features which will make Arabic work in ConTeXt easier:

1. A 14pt option for the body font. The maximum limit of 12 pt in Latin script is too limiting. Note that the size range for Arabic is higher than Latin; text is usually set as high as 14 pt (even higher
occasionally), while sizes below 8pt is rare (Arabic is not as readable as Latin at very small sizes). When mixing Latin and Arabic this becomes an important issue as well;

2. macros like \showbodyfont and \showbodyfontenvironment are apparently done entirely in whatever font is selected at the point one of them is called. This does not work for Arabic, which
transcribes all of the information printed by the macros into Arabic characters, which is entirely meaningless. Can these macros be given the option of printing out the font name and other information
in a roman font (except for the actual font sample of course). That is, the Arabic font would only be called to print out sample Arabic characters. The <Ag> also needs to be changed, since the <g>
especially does not occur in the Arabic transcription. Something like <{.t}{j}> would work fine (the braces break contextual analysis so u get stand alone letters; the dot before the <t> is intentional). I
_could_ modify the macros myself but I presume that as ConTeXt gets used by other non-Latin scripts this problem will arise again so a general solution is needed.

Best wishes
Idris

==========================
Dr. Idris Samawi Hamid
Depatment of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80526

* small feature request
@ 2002-04-16  1:50           ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2002-04-16  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

>2. macros like \showbodyfont and \showbodyfontenvironment are apparently done entirely in whatever font is selected at the point one of them is called. This does not work for Arabic, which
>transcribes all of the information printed by the macros into Arabic characters, which is entirely meaningless. Can these macros be given the option of printing out the font name and other
information
>in a roman font (except for the actual font sample of course). That is, the Arabic font would only be called to print out sample Arabic characters. The <Ag> also needs to be changed, since the <g>
>especially does not occur in the Arabic transcription. Something like <{.t}{j}> would work fine (the braces break contextual analysis so u get stand alone letters; the dot before the <t> is intentional).

Actually, an option for the non-Latin user to enter the transcription for the two-letter font sample as well as the transcription switch used in \showbodyfont would be better, since there are so many
possible languages and transcriptions.

More complicated than I thought....

Idris

==========================
Dr. Idris Samawi Hamid
Depatment of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80526

* Re: One last thing:-)
@ 2002-04-16 11:13             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-04-16 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 03:34 PM 4/15/2002 -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>Using type-xxx.tex and hans-test.tex, {\tf<variable> } works but
>\switchtobodyfont does not do anything. type-xxx.tex uses computer modern
>so anyone can try it with a default ConTeXt setup.
>Please advise.
>
>Another question: what does `global' stand for? Can I define my own
>size-changing arguments to \switchtobodyfont?

the document level font switch, normally not needed by users;
\setupbodyfont influences the page ornaments, \switchtobodyfont only
concerns the main text

%--------------------hans-test.tex-----------------------
>\starttext
>
>\usetypescriptfile[type-xxx]
>\usetypescript[arabtest]
>\setupbodyfont[omarab,12pt]
>
>This is a test % This is a test
>
>\switchtobodyfont[big] This is a test
>
>\switchtobodyfont[global] This is a test
>
>\switchtobodyfont[small] This is a test
>
>\switchtobodyfont[8pt] This is a test
>
>\stoptext

eh, do you mean that (in the example text) you don't get a sans font?

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: small feature request
@ 2002-04-16 11:26             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-04-16 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 07:50 PM 4/15/2002 -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> >2. macros like \showbodyfont and \showbodyfontenvironment are apparently
> done entirely in whatever font is selected at the point one of them is
> called. This does not work for Arabic, which
> >transcribes all of the information printed by the macros into Arabic
> characters, which is entirely meaningless. Can these macros be given the
> option of printing out the font name and other
>information
> >in a roman font (except for the actual font sample of course). That is,
> the Arabic font would only be called to print out sample Arabic
> characters. The <Ag> also needs to be changed, since the <g>
> >especially does not occur in the Arabic transcription. Something like
> <{.t}{j}> would work fine (the braces break contextual analysis so u get
> stand alone letters; the dot before the <t> is intentional).
>
>Actually, an option for the non-Latin user to enter the transcription for
>the two-letter font sample as well as the transcription switch used in
>\showbodyfont would be better, since there are so many
>possible languages and transcriptions.
>
>More complicated than I thought....

we can add a key to the language settings specifying the sample text so
that it becomes language dependent.

\setuplanguage[en][text=abacadabra]

[a rather trivial patch, so i've done it]

@ 2002-04-16 20:44               ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2002-04-16 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

>%--------------------hans-test.tex-----------------------
>>\starttext
>>
>>\usetypescriptfile[type-xxx]
>>\usetypescript[arabtest]
>>\setupbodyfont[omarab,12pt]
>>
>>This is a test % This is a test
>>
>>\switchtobodyfont[big] This is a test
>>
>>\switchtobodyfont[global] This is a test
>>
>>\switchtobodyfont[small] This is a test
>>
>>\switchtobodyfont[8pt] This is a test
>>
>>\stoptext
>
>eh, do you mean that (in the example text) you don't get a sans font?

Rather, the font-size-changing commands do not do anything. Each line above is printed in the sans font at the same size.

Any idea what's wrong?

==========================
Dr. Idris Samawi Hamid
Depatment of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80526

* Re: small feature request
@ 2002-04-16 20:53               ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2002-04-16 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

>\setuplanguage[en][text=abacadabra]
>
>[a rather trivial patch, so i've done it]

So if I want to use, e.g., \showbodyfont in a non-Latin document, what exactly do I have to do to get everything (like the name of the font, control sequences and size info)  in roman (English,
German, or Dutch) script except for the actual font sample?

Best
Idris

P.S. What about the 14pt \setupbodyfont option? (Not terribly relevant, but the new LaTeX memoir class has also added a 14pt document option, though I had nothing to do with that:->)
Is there an easy way to do this?

Best
Idris

==========================
Dr. Idris Samawi Hamid
Depatment of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80526

* Re: One last thing:-)
@ 2002-04-17  7:53                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-04-17  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 02:44 PM 4/16/2002 -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> >%--------------------hans-test.tex-----------------------
> >>\starttext
> >>
> >>\usetypescriptfile[type-xxx]
> >>\usetypescript[arabtest]
> >>\setupbodyfont[omarab,12pt]
> >>
> >>This is a test % This is a test
> >>
> >>\switchtobodyfont[big] This is a test
> >>
> >>\switchtobodyfont[global] This is a test
> >>
> >>\switchtobodyfont[small] This is a test
> >>
> >>\switchtobodyfont[8pt] This is a test
> >>
> >>\stoptext
> >
> >eh, do you mean that (in the example text) you don't get a sans font?
>
>Rather, the font-size-changing commands do not do anything. Each line
>above is printed in the sans font at the same size.
>
>Any idea what's wrong?

sure, the spec should say:

tf=SomeName sa 1

which means scaled at 1 times th ecurrent bodyfontsize

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Let's try again:-> [was Re: One last thing:-)]
@ 2002-04-17 14:32                   ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2002-04-17 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

>>Rather, the font-size-changing commands do not do anything. Each line
>>above is printed in the sans font at the same size.
>>
>>Any idea what's wrong?
>
>sure, the spec should say:
>
>tf=SomeName sa 1
>
>which means scaled at 1 times th ecurrent bodyfontsize

Ok, now I'm totally lost. Which spec r u talking about? To which command? I tried this with a couple of commands and got cmr instead of cmss. See below.

Let's start again:-> I'll try to be more precise.

Consider the modified hans-test.tex that follows. There r at least 6 strange things going on:

\starttext

\usetypescriptfile[type-xxx]
\usetypescript[arabtest]
\setupbodyfont[omarab,12pt]

%%% Strange behavior #1:
%%% The \setupbodyfont options [omarab,12pt], [omarab,10pt], and [omarab]
%%% all produce the same size text! [tf=omarab sa 1] is ignored >>cmr

\showbodyfontenvironment[omarab]

%%% Strange behavior #2:
%%% Here, everything looks right. All options r in order except that
%%% in type-xxx the 5pt and 4pt text options are not defined, yet
%%% \showbodyfontenvironment[omarab] gives them.

This is a test
%%% sansserif as expected, but I don't know what the body point size is as explained above.

{\tfa This is a test }
%%% scales as expected, as do \tfb and \tfc. Hooray!

%%% Strange behavior #3:
%%% According to \showbodyfontenvironment[omarab],
%%% 12pt omarab corresponds to an x-size/xx-size of 9.6pt/7.2pt.
%%% Yet the following three lines produce the exact same sizes:

{\tfx This is a test}

{\tfxx This is a test}

{\tfx This is a test {\tfx This is a test}}

%%% Strange behavior #4:
%%% The following line produces an enlarged cmr, _not_ cmss:
%%% Also I get 10 warnings like the following :
%%% bodyfont       : bodyfont 14.3pt is defined (can beter be done global)

%%% CORRECTION: Note that `better' is spelled wrong in the above warning!%%%

\switchtobodyfont[omarab,14.3pt] This is a test

%%% Strange behavior #5:
%%% The following three lines produce the exact same sizes as the first line of text:

\switchtobodyfont[global] This is a test

\switchtobodyfont[small] This is a test

\switchtobodyfont[8pt] This is a test

%%% Strange behavior #6:
%%% The following command has no effect on the size at all.

\definebodyfont[10pt][rm][tfe=omarab at 36pt]

{\tfe This is a test}

\stoptext

I'm at my wits' end here, and certainly feel like a total idiot. Please advise!

type-xxx follows for the convenience of all
reading this. Again, only default ConTeXt format is needed to try.

Best wishes
Idris
%================type-xxx.tex=============
[...]

* Re: Let's try again:-> [was Re: One last thing:-)]
@ 2002-04-17 17:50                     ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]                       ` <BARL64B0NJ6ZPMVQ3OKNJDB3HF0LI.3cbe21da@c1909372-a>
       [not found]                       ` <3CBE43E9.7565CE19@gcmail.maricopa.edu>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-04-17 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:32 AM 4/17/2002 -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

>\starttypescript [naskh] [omega] [size]
>
>    \definebodyfont
>      [20.7pt,17.3pt,14.4pt,12pt,11pt,10pt,9pt,8pt,7pt,6pt]
>      [rm]
>      [tf=Naskh,
>       bf=NaskhBold]

        tf=Naskh sa 1,
        bf=NaskhBold sa 1,

@ 2002-04-18  7:32                         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-04-18  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 07:31 PM 4/17/2002 -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> >>    \definebodyfont
> >>      [20.7pt,17.3pt,14.4pt,12pt,11pt,10pt,9pt,8pt,7pt,6pt]
> >>      [rm]
> >>      [tf=Naskh,
> >>       bf=NaskhBold]
> >
> >        tf=Naskh sa 1,
> >        bf=NaskhBold sa 1,
>
>Making that one substitution made all the difference. I now have only one
>question:
>
>1. Why does this work? What is the difference between <Naskh> and <Naskh
>sa 1>?
>
>I thnk Hans and the rest of the ConTeXt community for their patience
>through my bumbling these last few days.

this is normal tex :

  at 10pt == 10pt
  scaled 1000 = 1.0 times teh design size

this is extra in context:

  sa 1 = 1 times the current bodyfont size
  mo 1 = 1 times the current math bodyfont size

plus

  rscale for relative scaling

so, sa 1 like definitions adapt themselves (and this is how for instance
getglyph in symbol defs can adapt itsef nicely)

(in your case i would probably use a relatively scaled typeface for arab)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Lucida Bright fonts
       [not found]                       ` <3CBE43E9.7565CE19@gcmail.maricopa.edu>
@ 2002-04-18  7:36                         ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]                           ` <3CC0CC3C.7218C29C@gcmail.maricopa.edu>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-04-18  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:56 PM 4/17/2002 -0700, walter.kehowski@gcmail.maricopa.edu wrote:
>Hans,
>
>Is there a problem in general with Lucida Bright fonts in ConTeXt right now or
>is it just a problem with my MiKTeX 2.1/ConTeXt-2001.11.13/Win2K setup? I
>would like to start playing and having fun with ConTeXt but only if I can get
>my beloved Lucida Bright fonts working.

No problem with lucida, you only need to set them up,

given that you have yoru lucida fonts organized in .../bh/lucida/... paths:

   texfont type-buy.dat --en=texnansi --ve=bh --co=lucida

will generate metrics and a test file; this file should run (not sure if
miktex needs another treatment)

if you now set your defaultencoding to texnansi
(\setupencoding[default=texnansi]) it should work

@ 2002-04-18 21:35                           ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2002-04-18 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

:
>so, sa 1 like definitions adapt themselves (and this is how for instance
>getglyph in symbol defs can adapt itsef nicely)

So I think I understand this now:

Although <SomeFont> and <SomeFont sa 1> denote the same font and size, the body font size and magnifications like x, xx, small, and big are generated as functions of the scale factor. So if
the scale factor like <sa 1> is not present, then the scaling does not get done, and so \tfx etc. and [myfont, 12pt] don't do any scaling. But \tfa, \tfb, etc still work because these are explicitly
defined in terms of \magstep which will scale <SomeFont> even without the <sa 1>.

Am I understanding this correctly? I will probably mention this in an upcoming font how-to.

Thnx again.

Best wishes
Idris

==========================
Dr. Idris Samawi Hamid
Depatment of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80526

* Re: \definefontstyle
@ 2002-04-18 21:59       ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2002-04-18 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

4/13/02 6:31:48 PM, Idris Samawi Hamid <ishamid@attbi.com> wrote:

>>>\definefontstyle is not mentioned in setup-en.pdf;  what are its options
>>>and arguments?
>>
>>isn't it in the mfonts manual?
>
>I did a search in the Reader, and it came up empty. Is there a new version of mfonts.pdf since TeXLive, 9/01?

Turns out it's not in the font manual, but it is in cont-eni.pdf, page 133. I feel silly saying this, but until a couple of days ago I thought that mp-cb-en.pdf _is_ the ConTeXt manual. The problem is that
the manual is in the beta directory and not the manuals directory on TeXLive, so I missed it:-)

In any case, this explains some of my trouble catching on to everything, since mp-cb is much more sketchy.

Best wishes
Idris

==========================
Dr. Idris Samawi Hamid
Depatment of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80526

* Re: Lucida Bright fonts
       [not found]                           ` <3CC0CC3C.7218C29C@gcmail.maricopa.edu>
@ 2002-04-20 23:24                             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-04-20 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 07:02 PM 4/19/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Hans,
>
>I already have afm, tfm files and such located in C:\localtexmf\fonts//.
>Will this
>command over-write these files?

no, because i use more meaningful names, like texnansi-lbr and alike

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: lucida bright fonts
@ 2002-04-16 10:39   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-04-16 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 06:33 PM 4/15/2002 -0700, walter a kehowski wrote:

>(C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\context\base\type-exa.tex))
>! Font \*12ptrmtf*=LucidaBright at 12.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file
>not f
>ound.
>\lastfontname ...idaBright at \scaledfont
>
>\donoparsefontspec ...sname \lastfontname
>                                           \relax \the \everyfont \relax
>
>\xxdododefinefont ...2}\newfontidentifier
>                                           \doresetrelativefontsize \f...
>\fontstrategy ...ame #2#3#4#5#6\endcsname
>                                           \let \fontstrategy \gobbles...
><inserted text> ...talternative \fontsize
>                                           \fontstrategy \autofontsize...
>\synchronizefont ... \the \fontstrategies
>                                           \ifskipfontcharacteristics ...
>l.6 \setupbodyfont[lbr]

does

   [ber,lbr]

work? [i.e. berry names]

it looks like the SymbolicName onto filename mapping is missing.

alternatively you can use texfont to generate the lbr-texnansi alike tfm
files and specify \setupencoding[default=texnansi]

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* lucida bright fonts
@ 2002-04-16  1:33 ` walter a kehowski
From: walter a kehowski @ 2002-04-16  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have the Lucida Bright fonts installed and they work just fine with MiKTeX/yap/dvips/reader.
However, once I tried to use them with context I get the error message below.
What is the problem? How can I get context to recognize the fonts?

I've already checked the archive and there seemed to be no resolution posted
to a similar problem.

Walter Kehowski

%%% log file
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-14f-released-20000525-2.1 (MiKTeX 2.1)
(preloaded format=cont-en 2002.4.14)  15 APR 2002 18:25
entering extended mode
**fonts-lbr
(fonts-lbr.tex{pdftex.cfg}

ConTeXt  ver: 2001.11.13  fmt: 2002.4.14  int: english  mes: english

language       : language en is active
system         : cont-new loaded
(C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\context\base\cont-new.tex
systems        : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex!
system (E-TEX) : [line 473] \ifcsname
)
system         : cont-old loaded
(C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\context\base\cont-old.tex
)
system         : cont-fil loaded
(C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\context\base\cont-fil.tex
)
bodyfont       : 12pt rm is loaded
language       : patterns 2-en-2 2-uk-2 2-de-2 2-fr-2 2-es-2 2-nl-2 loaded
specials       : tex,postscript,rokicki loaded
(C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\context\base\type-pre.tex
typescript     : [serif,sans,mono,math,handwriting] [lucida] [name,special,defa
ult]
(C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\context\base\type-syn.tex)
(C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\context\base\type-enc.tex)
(C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\context\base\type-siz.tex)
(C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\context\base\type-map.tex)
(C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\context\base\type-spe.tex
(C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\context\base\math-lbr.tex))
(C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\context\base\type-exa.tex)
typescript     : [serif,sans,mono,math,handwriting] [default] [size]
(C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\context\base\type-syn.tex)
(C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\context\base\type-enc.tex)
(C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\context\base\type-siz.tex)
(C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\context\base\type-map.tex)
(C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\context\base\type-spe.tex)
(C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\context\base\type-exa.tex)
typescript     : [map] [default] []
(C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\context\base\type-syn.tex)
(C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\context\base\type-enc.tex)
(C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\context\base\type-siz.tex)
(C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\context\base\type-map.tex
pdftex         : needs map file: original-ams-cmr.map
pdftex         : needs map file: original-ams-euler.map
pdftex         : needs map file: original-ams-logo.map
pdftex         : needs map file: original-micropress-informal.map
) (C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\context\base\type-spe.tex)
(C:\Program Files\MiKTeX\tex\context\base\type-exa.tex))
! Font \*12ptrmtf*=LucidaBright at 12.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file
not f
ound.
\lastfontname ...idaBright at \scaledfont

\donoparsefontspec ...sname \lastfontname
                                          \relax \the \everyfont \relax

\xxdododefinefont ...2}\newfontidentifier
                                          \doresetrelativefontsize \f...
\fontstrategy ...ame #2#3#4#5#6\endcsname
                                          \let \fontstrategy \gobbles...
<inserted text> ...talternative \fontsize
                                          \fontstrategy \autofontsize...
\synchronizefont ... \the \fontstrategies
                                          \ifskipfontcharacteristics ...
l.6 \setupbodyfont[lbr]

? X
No pages of output.

* Re: Lucida Bright fonts
@ 2000-11-21 18:45   ` Christopher Tipper
From: Christopher Tipper @ 2000-11-21 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

A case of wishful thinking I think. Lucida Bright .pfb's are _not_ distributed with StarOffice 5.2 on windows. Another reason to decamp to Linux? :-)

Christopher