* guillemets and plr10 font
@ 2002-05-25 15:28 Denis B. Roegel
From: Denis B. Roegel @ 2002-05-25 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Denis B. Roegel

I just noticed that French guillemets are taken from the Polish fonts.
This is fine, but can this be changed if one doesn't have these fonts?

Here is an example file, and what happens when these fonts are
not installed:

\enableregime[il1]
\useencoding[ffr]
\mainlanguage[fr]
\starttext

« guillemets »

\stoptext

systems        : begin file test6 at line 4
kpathsea: Running mktextfm  plr10
mktextfm: Running mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input plr10
This is METAFONT, Version 2.7182 (Web2C 7.3.3.1)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf  plr10
! I can't find file `plr10'.
<*> ...e:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input plr10

Thanks,

Denis

* Re: guillemets and plr10 font
@ 2002-05-25 16:15 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-05-25 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Saturday, May 25, 2002 Denis B. Roegel wrote:

DBR> I just noticed that French guillemets are taken from the Polish fonts.
DBR> This is fine, but can this be changed if one doesn't have these fonts?

Attached to this mail are two ConTeXt modules I use to get the
guillemots from the LaTeX symbol files or the WNC fonts. They have
not yet been adapted to the latest ConTeXt guillemots management,
but they seem to work more or less fine even with the latest
ConTeXt.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

[-- Attachment #2: symb-lsy.tex --]

%D \module
%D   [       file=symb-lsy,
%D        version=2001.10.23,
%D          title=\CONTEXT\ Symbol Libraries,
%D       subtitle=Guillemots from LaTeX Symbols,
%D         author=Giuseppe Bilotta,
%D           date=\currentdate,
%D      copyright={PRAGMA / Giuseppe Bilotta}]
%C
%C This module is part of the \CONTEXT\ macro||package and is
%C therefore copyrighted by \PRAGMA. See mreadme.pdf for
%C details.

\unprotect

%D First of all, define the font file. TODO: how to choose the
%D appropriate font design size?

\definefontsynonym [LasySerif]        [lasy10]
\definefontsynonym [LasySerifBold]    [lasyb10]
\definefontsynonym [LasySans]         [lasy10]
\definefontsynonym [LasySansBold]     [lasyb10]

\def\Lasy#1{\getglyph{Lasy}{\char#1}}

%D The LaSy font doesn't have double guillemots, but only left
%D and right single guillemots; we build the double ones by
%D duplicating the single one, shifted by half their size

\newdimen\LeftLasyShift
\newdimen\RightLasyShift

%D Since different sizes require different shifts, we have to
%D calculate it each time. Another way would be to plug into the
%D typescript stuff, and recalculate only at size-change time.
%D This way is slower but doesn't mess with internal stuff

\def\SetLeftLasyShift%
    {\setbox\scratchbox\hbox{\Lasy{40}}%
     \LeftLasyShift=.5\wd\scratchbox}

\def\SetRightLasyShift%
    {\setbox\scratchbox\hbox{\Lasy{41}}%
     \RightLasyShift=.5\wd\scratchbox}

%D Here we define the quick-access commands

\def\leftguillemot%
  {\dontleavehmode\hbox{\SetLeftLasyShift%
      \Lasy{40}\kern-\LeftLasyShift\Lasy{40}}}

\def\rightguillemot%
  {\hbox{\SetRightLasyShift%
      \Lasy{41}\kern-\RightLasyShift\Lasy{41}}}

\def\leftsubguillemot{\Lasy{40}}

\def\rightsubguillemot{\Lasy{41}}

\protect

\endinput

[-- Attachment #3: symb-wnc.tex --]

%D \module
%D   [       file=symb-wnc,
%D        version=2001.10.23,
%D          title=\CONTEXT\ Symbol Libraries,
%D       subtitle=Guillemots from the Cyrillic fonts,
%D         author=Giuseppe Bilotta,
%D           date=\currentdate,
%D      copyright={PRAGMA / Giuseppe Bilotta}]
%C
%C This module is part of the \CONTEXT\ macro||package and is
%C therefore copyrighted by \PRAGMA. See mreadme.pdf for
%C details.

\unprotect

\definefontsynonym [GuillsSerif]        [wncyr10]
\definefontsynonym [GuillsSerifBold]    [wncyb10]
\definefontsynonym [GuillsSerifItalic]  [wncyi10]
\definefontsynonym [GuillsSerifCaps]    [wncysc10]
\definefontsynonym [GuillsSans]         [wncyss10]

\def\Guill#1{\getglyph{Guills}{\char#1}}

\def\leftguillemot{\Guill{60}}
\def\rightguillemot{\Guill{62}}

\protect

\endinput

* Re: guillemets and plr10 font
@ 2002-05-25 20:22 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-05-25 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context, Denis B. Roegel

At 05:28 PM 5/25/2002 +0200, Denis B. Roegel wrote:
>I just noticed that French guillemets are taken from the Polish fonts.
>This is fine, but can this be changed if one doesn't have these fonts?
>
>Here is an example file, and what happens when these fonts are
>not installed:
>
>\enableregime[il1]
>\useencoding[ffr]
>\mainlanguage[fr]
>\starttext
>
>« guillemets »
>
>\stoptext
>
>systems        : begin file test6 at line 4
>kpathsea: Running mktextfm  plr10
>mktextfm: Running mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input plr10
>This is METAFONT, Version 2.7182 (Web2C 7.3.3.1)
>
>kpathsea: Running mktexmf  plr10
>! I can't find file `plr10'.
><*> ...e:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input plr10

these fonts are on tex live

also, there's a dante/gutenberg/ntg project in progress to replace all the
cmr instances (plr,crs,aer) by one type1 (non virtual) font that will have
all characters (also euro) so that there is a good fallback

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl